Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: really intersting review [Re: catslayer] #5978752 10/15/15 03:21 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
More lipstick...

Soon they'll be including a stick of it with every one sold.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: really intersting review [Re: catslayer] #5978829 10/15/15 04:01 PM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I'm still on the fence about the RPR so I'm gonna wait. For my uses, one of those chambered in .243 Win. would be about perfect. All I'd need is a good suppressor.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: really intersting review [Re: catslayer] #5978849 10/15/15 04:13 PM
D
Dien Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Here's a review from someone who can actually shoot.

Sniper's Hide Ruger

Re: really intersting review [Re: catslayer] #5978877 10/15/15 04:33 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
I applaud Ruger for finding a niche and filling it. While I'll likely never own one, if it does what you need it to, more power to you! I wish Remington would get aggressive with their products (and quality).

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: really intersting review [Re: catslayer] #5979221 10/15/15 08:13 PM
R
RCINTX Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: charlesb
More lipstick...

Where is the pig? Looks like a fine shooting, feature packed rifle to me. If, that is, those are the features are are looking for. Am I missing something that makes the RPR bad?

I like it alot from what I have seen/read. I would like to handle one in person.

Last edited by RCINTX; 10/15/15 08:14 PM. Reason: wrong quote
Re: really intersting review [Re: catslayer] #5979328 10/15/15 09:19 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Both reviews seemed great, which is rare, and I think the engineering and "out of the box" thinking is simply outstanding. Kudos to Ruger for another innovative design.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: really intersting review [Re: RCINTX] #5979618 10/16/15 01:03 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: RCINTX
More lipstick...

Where is the pig? Looks like a fine shooting, feature packed rifle to me. If, that is, those are the features are are looking for. Am I missing something that makes the RPR bad?

I like it alot from what I have seen/read. I would like to handle one in person.

At that price point, I for one would expect better quality. - MUCH better quality.

Compare other firearms that you can get for the same amount of money, you'll quickly see what I'm talking about.

It's a Ruger American with some plastic BS added to it (lipstick) at three times the price. If that's your idea of a fine firearm, I'd say go for it.

Not me, though. - I like to get my money's worth.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: really intersting review [Re: catslayer] #5979684 10/16/15 01:38 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Very impressive rifle. I saw one at Bass Pro today, though didn't ask to handle it. For what I need in a rifle, this is overkill (no pun intended). And it's heavier than what I want to lug around. Looks like an amazing shooter though.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: really intersting review [Re: charlesb] #5979693 10/16/15 01:40 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Charles I think you're looking at this from a hunting rifle standpoint. That is not the mission of this rifle. It is built to compete in the practical precision long range type shooting, AND it will also hunt.

The bottom line on my competition 6.5 Creedmoor including barrel, smith, stock, DBM, one mag, and brake is ~$1900. So for the price of this rig it is a good deal if it can hang. And by all accounts, it is looking like it can.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: really intersting review [Re: charlesb] #5979701 10/16/15 01:46 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
More lipstick...

10lb plus rifle don't think they are targeting hunters so much. Actually pretty cheap for what it is.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: really intersting review [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5979712 10/16/15 01:54 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
And 10 pounds aint heavy in the grand scheme of these type rifles. It's 5 pounds less than my 6.5 Creedmoor.

Last edited by FiremanJG; 10/16/15 01:55 AM.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: really intersting review [Re: catslayer] #5979796 10/16/15 02:31 AM
D
dee Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I've been around of a few and they have performed great especially for the money.

"A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends on the character of the user" Theodore Roosevelt
Re: really intersting review [Re: charlesb] #5980407 10/16/15 03:31 PM
C
catslayer Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
More lipstick...

At that price point, I for one would expect better quality. - MUCH better quality.

Compare other firearms that you can get for the same amount of money, you'll quickly see what I'm talking about.

It's a Ruger American with some plastic BS added to it (lipstick) at three times the price. If that's your idea of a fine firearm, I'd say go for it.

how bout you actually READ the review... where he specifically states that he hated the Ruger American it was rough and poorly finished... Where as this rifle he said was immaculate... What are you expecting more??? Look at other $1000 rifles and tell me what they do that this doesn't lol...

Fireman also has a point, this thing is made for LONG range comp rifle that can hunt.

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Re: really intersting review [Re: catslayer] #5981017 10/17/15 12:06 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: catslayer
More lipstick...

how bout you actually READ the review... where he specifically states that he hated the Ruger American it was rough and poorly finished... Where as this rifle he said was immaculate... What are you expecting more??? Look at other $1000 rifles and tell me what they do that this doesn't lol...

Fireman also has a point, this thing is made for LONG range comp rifle that can hunt.

I READ the review - and remember early reviews of the Ruger American, about how smooth it was with the fat bolt.

These overly-optimistic reviews go over great with the marketing types, magazine editors and the fanboys.

I'm not a marketing type, a magazine editor or a fanboy. - So I take these "best thing since sliced bread" reviews for what they are worth.

- But be my guest, slap your money down.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: really intersting review [Re: J.G.] #5981019 10/17/15 12:10 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Charles I think you're looking at this from a hunting rifle standpoint. That is not the mission of this rifle. It is built to compete in the practical precision long range type shooting, AND it will also hunt.

The bottom line on my competition 6.5 Creedmoor including barrel, smith, stock, DBM, one mag, and brake is ~$1900. So for the price of this rig it is a good deal if it can hang. And by all accounts, it is looking like it can.

Put your rifle next to this thing, and you'll see where your extra 600 bux went.

I'll stick my neck out here and predict that within a year or so, we'll be seeing a healthy aftermarket springing up to address fixes for this particular rifle as problems that are not being noted or admitted now - come to light.

Reviewers will note how sorry it is - and that's why whatever they are reviewing at that point will really be the best thing since sliced bread.

If Ruger really wants to cash in even better, they'll limit availability and jack the price up - Oh that's right, they've already done that... Originally it was going to be MSRP at 1200, but really selling for around 900.

Last edited by charlesb; 10/17/15 12:31 AM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: really intersting review [Re: charlesb] #5981027 10/17/15 12:16 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Put your rifle next to this thing, and you'll see where your extra 600 bux went.

Had I built mine with:

Adjustable cheek
Adjustable length of pull
Folding stock

You may as well add ANOTHER $1k to the bottom line of mine.

The Ruger has what mine has, has more, and will accept three different kinds of magazines, mine accepts one kind. The absolute only thing my rifle has over the Ruger is a cut rifled barrel threaded and chambered by a very competent smith. And yet the Ruger is a solid 3/4 MOA shooter.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: really intersting review [Re: J.G.] #5981054 10/17/15 12:35 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

Had I built mine with:

Adjustable cheek
Adjustable length of pull
Folding stock

You may as well add ANOTHER $1k to the bottom line of mine.

The Ruger has what mine has, has more, and will accept three different kinds of magazines, mine accepts one kind. The absolute only thing my rifle has over the Ruger is a cut rifled barrel threaded and chambered by a very competent smith. And yet the Ruger is a solid 3/4 MOA shooter.

Would you sell your rifle and buy a Ruger?

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: really intersting review [Re: catslayer] #5981065 10/17/15 12:44 AM
M
MacDaddy21 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
I don't think that is the point. I think most people are just saying they'd choose the RPR over say a Remington Sendero or other factory "long range" rifles. I agree. I think it is a great alternative and offers some far superior features for a tiny price increase compared to other factory offers that are supposed to be "long range" rifles out of the box.

Re: really intersting review [Re: charlesb] #5981095 10/17/15 12:59 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Not this one, I don't need to. I've had plenty others I would have.

You're missing the point. Look at the 23 year old that completed his education plan, is now making a decent living, and has always wanted a precision rifle. He is on a budget, and learns he needs to spend at least half, usually more, on his scope to get the job done. This rifle checks all the boxes for what he wanting to accomplish. Now add 20 years to the age of the shooter wanting to extend his effective range, so the 43 year old is wanting to try something beyond the wood stock, pencil thin barrel and internal magazine he has shot since he was 15 years old, no farther than 150 yards. And he wants a rifle that will shoot just as well on the tenth shot as it did on the first shot, while having a detachable magazine. Then he gets more proficient and decides to try his hand at competition. This rifle fills that niche.

I'll tell you the short version of my story. RH .30-06 internal box, purchased retail, sold to an imdividual for a loss. LH .308, 4 round detachable mag, needed a 10 round mag to compete, switched bottom metal to accept 10 round A.I. mags. Discovered the ergonomic benefit of vertical grip stocks, purchased a McMillan A-5. Figured out the .308 Win could not hang in competition to 1200 yards, with 6.5mm cartridges, rebarreled the .308 into .260 Rem. So now all that is left of the original rifle is the action. Discovered the Savage action is not reliable enough to shoot far and shoot fast, sold the rifle, McMillan A-5 with DBM. For a total loss of money of about $3k when all is said and done between two rifles.

So I lost $3k trying to configure "THE" rifle system. The price of this Ruger is beyond a bargain, it is a steal! Anyone that comes through my class and asks my opinion of it, I am going to tell them to go for it, and that is why. And I have never shot one, but I have seen reviews from men that I know they know what the hell they are doing, so I will trust their judgement. Same as the scores of people that trust my judgement when I am trying to help them, and I am honored for the opportunity.

Don't be like the Chicago FD was in their unofficial motto. "200 years of tradition unimpeded by progress". I've seen the "it's the way we've always done it" metality and it is a blight on improvement.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: really intersting review [Re: catslayer] #5981220 10/17/15 02:50 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
I totally agreed with charles until I understood the market for this rifle. Once I did, I realized what a bargain it was. I'd love to have one, but I'm not in the market for something like this right now.

Re: really intersting review [Re: catslayer] #5981898 10/17/15 11:29 PM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
They are selling like crazy because it's a bargain target/tactical rifle for about $1,000 once the madness stops of people paying retail +. It's meant to shoot prone or from a bench and it's about 1/2 the price of a Savage BA. Some people don't like the barrel nut rifles but they generally shoot great right out of the box. There is nothing like it in it's price point which is why it's selling so well.

Last edited by scottfromdallas; 10/17/15 11:30 PM.

Re: really intersting review [Re: J.G.] #5981985 10/18/15 12:56 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Not this one, I don't need to. I've had plenty others I would have.

You're missing the point. Look at the 23 year old that completed his education plan, is now making a decent living, and has always wanted a precision rifle. He is on a budget, and learns he needs to spend at least half, usually more, on his scope to get the job done. This rifle checks all the boxes for what he wanting to accomplish. Now add 20 years to the age of the shooter wanting to extend his effective range, so the 43 year old is wanting to try something beyond the wood stock, pencil thin barrel and internal magazine he has shot since he was 15 years old, no farther than 150 yards. And he wants a rifle that will shoot just as well on the tenth shot as it did on the first shot, while having a detachable magazine. Then he gets more proficient and decides to try his hand at competition. This rifle fills that niche.

I'll tell you the short version of my story. RH .30-06 internal box, purchased retail, sold to an imdividual for a loss. LH .308, 4 round detachable mag, needed a 10 round mag to compete, switched bottom metal to accept 10 round A.I. mags. Discovered the ergonomic benefit of vertical grip stocks, purchased a McMillan A-5. Figured out the .308 Win could not hang in competition to 1200 yards, with 6.5mm cartridges, rebarreled the .308 into .260 Rem. So now all that is left of the original rifle is the action. Discovered the Savage action is not reliable enough to shoot far and shoot fast, sold the rifle, McMillan A-5 with DBM. For a total loss of money of about $3k when all is said and done between two rifles.

So I lost $3k trying to configure "THE" rifle system. The price of this Ruger is beyond a bargain, it is a steal! Anyone that comes through my class and asks my opinion of it, I am going to tell them to go for it, and that is why. And I have never shot one, but I have seen reviews from men that I know they know what the hell they are doing, so I will trust their judgement. Same as the scores of people that trust my judgement when I am trying to help them, and I am honored for the opportunity.

Don't be like the Chicago FD was in their unofficial motto. "200 years of tradition unimpeded by progress". I've seen the "it's the way we've always done it" metality and it is a blight on improvement.

I understand about it being cheap, that's what I've been saying all along.

Yep, it's cheap. - But over-priced. It looks more like maybe 600 bucks worth to me.

It's hard for a lot of folks to understand just what CNC machining has done to increase precision in machining, while radically driving down prices at the same time.

This is why the controlled-feed Winchester model 70 was "too expensive to manufacture" for a while there, and they went over to a push-feed design - and now they are back to the controlled-feed design again. This is why vehicles typically last for much more than 100,000 miles now - when only a few decades ago it was a rare case when one made it that far.

"Don't be like the Chicago FD was in their unofficial motto. "200 years of tradition unimpeded by progress". I've seen the "it's the way we've always done it" metality and it is a blight on improvement. "

My point exactly. Progress in machining and manufacturing has moved forward much faster than most shooters can comprehend. - And since they don't get it - they're getting suckered left and right. The new Ruger is a classic case in point.

This is also why I would not put my money down for a Remington bolt action, under any circumstance. Understanding something about modern manufacturing processes just ruins that design for me. They ought to be going for Ruger American prices at best. - If you don't mind the induction-brazed bolt handle popping off if you accidentally drop the gun on a hunt.

I don't have any problem with any manufacturer making a buck with their product... That's what makes the world go around. - But lately the trend has been to go over to 21st century manufacturing methods, while still charging like it was all being done back in the 1970's.

The markup ends up being astronomical.

Long-Range Shooting in West Texas:

Last edited by charlesb; 10/18/15 01:17 AM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: really intersting review [Re: charlesb] #5982021 10/18/15 01:25 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Your example of what you prefer is a perfect comparison. The control feed Win 70. You must like them for your own reasons, I have zero use for a control feed action. You can't top load a control feed action, and that is no good for me. When I run a mag empty and need one or more rounds I can drop them on top of an empty mag and keep shooting. There are plenty of other shooters who are of the same opinion. Don't think I'm trying to change your mind on them if you like them, I am only illustrating the point of different strokes for different folks.

I have a fair understanding on the leaps and bounds CNC machining has made on a huge list of industries. Especially when I loom at Grandad's 40 year old Jet mill and Craftsman lathe still in service in my shop.

Pick an action you find worthy, add barrel, paying a smith and a chassis system (just went over $1k right there), not a stock, 20 MOA pic rail, bottom metal, and mags. What's the bottom line price? And in the end, any of them need to take a cartridge from the mag, lock it the chamber, shoot the round consistently, and eject the spent brass well clear of the action. That is the job of any rifle, and this one by all reports is doing its' job well.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: really intersting review [Re: catslayer] #5982076 10/18/15 02:19 AM
R
Regular Guy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I feel like the new ruger push feed rifles are the "for a little more" guns. Like when you see somebody asking about a cheap gun that is probably good enough to hunt at normal ranges, but "for a little more" you could pick up an American and it's still a great deal, maybe gets you a little more for your dollar. Same with the precision rifle, when dudes are looking at guns to get started shooting long range competition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide