Print Thread
Saw first covey on my place in 15 years last week! #5975022 10/13/15 02:21 PM
F
Finfeathernfurr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
This is in mills county. I had ran into town for some breakfast from my morning bow hunt. I got back to my stand and was going to set up a game camera to time when pigs are showing up. Seeing as it was still 10:30 grabed my bow and thought I would sneak over the top and see if I had any late arrivals. Just as I got to where I could peer over at my stand about 15 took off from my ankles needless to say as unexpected as quail were if there wa anything at my feeder I'll knever know lol I almost jumped to me feeder haha. Oh I hope it gets back to where I can walk a day an push 25-30 covey down there. Anyway thrilled and thought I would share.

Re: Saw first covey on my place in 15 years last week! [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5975031 10/13/15 02:25 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I remember the first covey I ever flushed at the age of four. They were at the foot of a wooden bridge.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Saw first covey on my place in 15 years last week! [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5975886 10/13/15 10:08 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
We used to be covered up. Haven't seen one in 5-6 years

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Saw first covey on my place in 15 years last week! [Re: Erathkid] #5975943 10/13/15 10:33 PM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Went out to Stompys south of Breckenridge Friday afternoon to dove hunt. Saw a covey of 12 cross the road in front of us. Next morning had 6-7 coveys whistling all around us. Sure was music to my ears. Hadn't heard that in a long time. They would call and then I would call back. Awesome!

Bobby Barnett

Re: Saw first covey on my place in 15 years last week! [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5976167 10/14/15 12:34 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
cheers

That's awesome....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Saw first covey on my place in 15 years last week! [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5979974 10/16/15 04:51 AM
F
Finfeathernfurr Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
F
Talked to A gentleman in the feed store in Mills County yesterday. He has been managing a high fence ranch for the last 8 years. He said they have gotten rid of all the cattle and it is just native white tails and native grasses and he said the blue stem is waist high and they have been doing some controlled burns to help with the birds and he said in the last two years they are completely covered up in quail property wide. Overgrazing down in that neck of the woods has sure taken a toll on the come back as well. That's why I am so excited to see birds at my place because it is all natural and looking like fantastic cover and breeding grounds for Bobwhites. It's only a few hundred acres but the best quail hunting I've ever seen at it's peak hope were headed back in that direction.

Re: Saw first covey on my place in 15 years last week! [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5980095 10/16/15 12:04 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I busted a covey the other day just west of Fort Worth bushed up next to a compressor station.

Re: Saw first covey on my place in 15 years last week! [Re: Finfeathernfurr] #5980276 10/16/15 02:05 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Finfeathernfurr
Talked to A gentleman in the feed store in Mills County yesterday. He has been managing a high fence ranch for the last 8 years. He said they have gotten rid of all the cattle and it is just native white tails and native grasses and he said the blue stem is waist high and they have been doing some controlled burns to help with the birds and he said in the last two years they are completely covered up in quail property wide. Overgrazing down in that neck of the woods has sure taken a toll on the come back as well. That's why I am so excited to see birds at my place because it is all natural and looking like fantastic cover and breeding grounds for Bobwhites. It's only a few hundred acres but the best quail hunting I've ever seen at it's peak hope were headed back in that direction.

You're on to something on a ranch in Mason I see maybe two coveys year. Two weeks ago I counted 10 different coveys in one day. Difference tall grass and reduce cattle numbers this year, toss in Great early rains...and a lot of stars aligned. I know what I'll be going later this year.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Saw first covey on my place in 15 years last week! [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5980745 10/16/15 07:24 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

You're on to something on a ranch in Mason I see maybe two coveys year. Two weeks ago I counted 10 different coveys in one day. Difference tall grass and reduce cattle numbers this year, toss in Great early rains...and a lot of stars aligned. I know what I'll be going later this year.

I have seen good cattle grazing effectively double quail populations. Cattle aren't the problem it's bad grazing practices.

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: Saw first covey on my place in 15 years last week! [Re: MoBettaHuntR] #5980879 10/16/15 09:37 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: MoBettaHuntR
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I have seen good cattle grazing effectively double quail populations. Cattle aren't the problem it's bad grazing practices.

YEP. A momma quail can make a living for her clutch by running up and down a cow trail picking off insects, then duck into the weeds when predators are nearby.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide