Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5964367 10/06/15 09:07 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Just a personal thought, not going to look down on anyone that uses a cross bow. Truth be told a lot of "bow hunters" I know should be hunting with a cross bow vs a compound bow. They don't spend enough time practicing to be consistent enough to make a clean or ethical kill which we are supposed to do whether we rifle or bow hunt. I transitioned from rifle to black powder to bow. I enjoy bow hunting the best, just my personal preference. If / when I get in bad shape and cannot either draw a bow back or make clean consistent hits I will give it up but I won't go to a cross bow, I will just go back to a rifle. Just my personal preference.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: GLC] #5964380 10/06/15 09:16 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: GLC
Just a personal thought, not going to look down on anyone that uses a cross bow. Truth be told a lot of "bow hunters" I know should be hunting with a cross bow vs a compound bow. They don't spend enough time practicing to be consistent enough to make a clean or ethical kill which we are supposed to do whether we rifle or bow hunt. I transitioned from rifle to black powder to bow. I enjoy bow hunting the best, just my personal preference. If / when I get in bad shape and cannot either draw a bow back or make clean consistent hits I will give it up but I won't go to a cross bow, I will just go back to a rifle. Just my personal preference.

Just playing the devils advocate, but you wouldn't use a crossbow during archery season only if you were unable to draw a compound? That said, age waits for no man, and there will come a time you just have to do what you have to do.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Jimbo] #5964384 10/06/15 09:20 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Originally Posted By: GLC

Just playing the devils advocate, but you wouldn't use a crossbow during archery season only if you were unable to draw a compound? That said, age waits for no man, and there will come a time you just have to do what you have to do.

Agreed Jim, I will hit that time maybe sooner than later, ha ha. I have just personally chosen, at this time, not to go cross bow.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5964424 10/06/15 09:33 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I hunt with either one, depending on the situation. I've found a crossbow is not really a huge advantage. It certainly isn't "cheating". You still need to get close. You still need to practice.
One thing about a crossbow, they tend to be loud. That makes longer shots more risky because of the deer jumping the string.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5964493 10/06/15 09:58 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
2cents its like the side lock vs in- line both load from mussle, differance is caps & powder... In-line can reach out & touch twice as far... Still enjoy my sidelock, got nothing against in-line, both still one shot... Ethicaly in-line get tighter groups...
Cross bows, has it advantages... Take you & me.. You hunts gators & i hunt gechoes rofl Have had deer 20yrds behind tree, draw back, only for deer ta wait me out... Had ta ease off string... Crossbow for little people like me, can rest crossbow on limb or such ta steady aim, & same for big guy like you... Steady aim for closer group shots... Good thread... Still waiten for ya ta visit OSBWMA... Thar be a gator or two, just cant hunt-em... Stay safe at uncle Sam's.. Hear its a jungle out thar... rofl In the bottoms on cool clear evenings ya can still hear screams & tree knocks.. Some say its a squash, hunten with a panther... Few realize its just me wondering about the woods ... flag

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5964587 10/06/15 10:39 PM
6InARowMakeItGo Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I agree with all y'all grin

🍻
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: jrgocards] #5964616 10/06/15 10:55 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: jrgocards

My Barnett is crazy accurate, but so loud that I won't take a shot over 25 yds.

JR

This is the part that most "bow hunters" don't understand about crossbows. Crossbows are LOUD and if you are shooting farther than 30 yards with them you run a very high risk of wounding the animal because he will string jump the heck out of your crossbow and I don't care how fast your crossbow is!

My dad shot a nice buck with his crossbow at 32 yards 2 years ago. The buck was slightly quartering towards him but by the time the arrow got there the deer had spun around pretty severly and the arrow entered way far back in the ribs but luckly caught the vitals as it exited closer to where the entrance should have been.

Yes crossbows are very accurate at extreme ranges but you would be a fool to try and take an animal at those kind of ranges just because you can accurately shoot a target at those ranges.

Vertical bow hunters have an advantage of being able to shoot longer ranges because their bows are quieter. Cross bow hunters have an advantage because they don't have to draw once the animal is in range. Vertical bow hunters can reload faster. Crossbows don't need to because we know where to put the shot to begin with. grin bolt

They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Just go hunt.

Ohhh......and crossbows date back to the 5th century so don't tell me they are not "primitive". Yes they have come along way since then but compounds have come along way since the Indians so there take that! clap

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5964651 10/06/15 11:17 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
If it's cheating then call me a cheater. After two shoulder surgeries I had to get one or not hunt. The first year after surgery I had to have one of my hunting buddies pull it back for me in our parking area so 1 shot is all I had. Killed a coyote and lots of time that year. After 1-1/2 year of rehab and lots of practice I can do my own thing now. Still hunt out of the same bow stands so I am not shooting at any longer ranges than before.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: jshouse] #5964751 10/07/15 12:15 AM
B
Bill Waldschmidt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: jshouse
Originally Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt
Seems like cheating to me, but its legal.

I personally like the challenge of bow hunting

"cheating" implies there is some sort of competition going on...who are you competing with while hunting?

The deer

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5964997 10/07/15 01:39 AM
T
texashelms Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I ain't going to lie, last year I used a crossbow for the first time. Them deer did not stand a chance with that bolt flying at 350fps. A man gots to eat!! lol

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: texashelms] #5965041 10/07/15 01:53 AM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
I haven't picked up a rifle in years. Bow only for me. I have no problem at all with other hunters using crossbows. I love the challenge of bow hunting and some day may need a crossbow myself. Now if a perfectly healthy young man is hunting with a crossbow and is capable of using a vertical bow, he's going to get razzed a little. May get asked to wear a dress while skinning his deer. But they are welcome at our ranch and I feel that they are actually at a disadvantage to vertical bows myself.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5965127 10/07/15 02:21 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I have hunted and killed deer with a rifle, muzzleloader, bow and crossbow. All three are different and require some amount of practice. With a bow you have greater range, less noise,lighter weight, faster movement in tighter space and faster follow-up shots. With a crossbow you have better accuracy but still requires some repetitive practice(REPETITIVE), you don't have to draw it, it is very loud, it can be more dangerous to you if you are not careful with your hands or fingers, it is heavier by a long shot, much bulkier to get into place for a shot, it requires more space for shooting, and limits your shot distance greatly. I can always tell the difference when someone comments about a crossbow hunter, they have never hunted with one. They may have shot one on a range but that is a whole different ball game vs hunting with one. I have built bow blinds and set up tripods to bow hunt from since the 80's. Last year I set up my first tripod to crossbow hunt from and it would not work since I had the bow hunting setup mentality. I had to create more width for the crossbow to allow for a wider range of shots. You still have to use the same skills to find the correct blind location, hunt the wind, still have to move to get into position to make the shot, and do it with multiple sets of eyes on you no matter which method of hunting you choose. I never look down on another hunter who choose the weapon of his choice to hunt with. I will never do that to another hunter for hunting how he chooses.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5965186 10/07/15 02:45 AM
T
TxAg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I hunt with a compound bow sometimes. It's fun. It requires practice to get good, with a strong focus on form and body mechanics. It's light and maneuverable.

Earlier this year I found a good deal on a cross bow, and I plan to hunt with it some this season too. So far it's fun. It requires practice to get good, with a focus on stability and trigger control. It's heavier but accurate and fast, and can be shot off a solid rest.

Later in the year I will hunt with a rifle with a magnified scope. It's fun. It requires practice to get good.....I digress.

There are many ways to be an ethical and effective hunter and enjoy the great outdoors. Here's to using what you enjoy cheers

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5965213 10/07/15 02:57 AM
F
fishingoncredit Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
F
This is my second year hunting last year with a rifle and I was hooked! So wanting to get a jump on deer season this year so I bought a crossbow. I hunt public land and I'm determined to stalk and get my first deer. The first and second day of bow season this year I was able to get with in 30 yards of 3 deer. The first 2 were a large doe with a fawn behind her. Then the second day I got within 20 yards of a way undersized 6pt buck I got to watch then scared the poop outta it!! and my reasons why I went crossbow
A. Because it was cheaper then a nice compound bow setup
B. I would rather kill the deer with one good clean shot
C. My left shoulder likes to pop out of place.
D. I want to freaking HUNT!!
So crossbow it was! I still haven't taken a deer this year or last but I love to hunt so if you're doing it legal get out there and hunt!!

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: titan2232] #5965245 10/07/15 03:08 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: titan2232
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Does anyone else hut because they like it?

I don't hunt because its hard, I don't hunt to feel accomplished I don't hunt for some kind of gratification or to compete with others on how big a buck I shot, I hunt because I was raised doing it with my father and grandfather and it was fun. I hunt with a bow, muzzle loader, shotgun slugs, rifle, and pistol because its fun. Is there a difference between a long bow and a scoped hi powered rifle? You bet but I still just have fun hunting.

Feeling the "buck fever" is why I bow hunt. I've hunted all my life and I've never had that feeling while rifle hunting. confused2

You might be doing it wrong. grin Last fall I sat in a blind with my 10 year old. He was the one with the rifle not me, and when the deer started coming out my heart was thumping the same as if I was looking through the scope. If I ever lose that feeling, I will hang it up. So far so good. up

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5965279 10/07/15 03:31 AM
E
Espy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
If you don't hunt with one of these you are cheating

Bottom line is if it gets a person in the woods I'm all for it as long as it's legal.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5965326 10/07/15 04:33 AM
Ramsey Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Pepe' Le Pew
I hunt primarily with a compound bow. However this weekend I am taking crossbow because I do not feel comfortable at a couple angles I have to shoot from this blond. It boils down to what is the best weapon for success, and to recover animal.

Big Beckett!!
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5965365 10/07/15 07:21 AM
10pointers Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Hunt with what you like and what you want to shoot and not worry about what others think

Signature images may not be larger than 600 pixels wide by 125 pixels tall. That smile says it all
[North Dakota -16degrees

"Things may come to those who wait, but only those things left by those who hustle."
- Abraham Lincoln
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5965370 10/07/15 08:51 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
I hunt with whatever the heck kind of legal weapon I take a notion to hunt with, and couldn't care less what the "better" hunter thinks of it. Having killed deer with every type of weapon I own (rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, compound bow, crossBOW) except a pistol, I have never noticed a bit of difference in the rush of taking a deer based on the weapon I was using.

Run what you brung and mind your own business. Ain't America great? flag up

[Linked Image]
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5965435 10/07/15 11:52 AM
B
Bigfoot Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Wow what a can of worms I opened. I guess my lack of experience at the hunting lease over the years has left me behind the times since I didnt realize the nuances.

This reminds me of the artificials vs live bait debate in fishing circles. Some look down on live baiters like it is cheating and I have to admit before I was a guide I was one of the artificial only snobs. Then I became a guide and realized that not everyone has the skills to go out once or twice a year and be proficient with artificials. SO I started throwing live bait also and you know what it is a lot of fun.

One thing I have noticed that it really is not cheating because it seems like I catch the same amount of fish one day using live shrimp as the next day when using arties.

Very helpful info like being much louder so needing to take shots under 25 yards and the weight issues and the ability not to get off another shot quickly.

I probably need to shoot both to understand more about what will be best for me.

Thanks guys for the info.

Last edited by Bigfoot; 10/07/15 12:55 PM.

GO TRUMP!
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5965501 10/07/15 12:46 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Wow what a can of worms I opened. I guess my lack of experience at the hunting lease over the areas has left me behind the times since I didnt realize the nuances.

This reminds me of the artificials vs live bait debate in fishing circles. Some look down on live baiters like it is cheating and I have to admit before I was a guide I was one of the artificial only snobs. Then I became a guide and realized that not everyone has the skills to go out once or twice a year and be proficient with artificials. SO I started throwing live bait also and you know what it is a lot of fun.

One thing I have noticed that it really is not cheating because it seems like I catch the same amount of fish one day using live shrimp as the next day when using arties.

Very helpful info like being much louder so needing to take shots under 25 yards and the weight issues and the ability not to get off another shot quickly.

I probably need to shoot both to understand more about what will be best for me.

I personally think the "loud" talk about the crossbow is bs

Are crossbows loud? Yes

Do crossbows shoot faster than compounds? Many do

Are compounds loud? Mine certainly is

IMHO whitetail can hear both crossbows AND compounds at 50 yards or even farther so no real disadvantage to the crossbow.

Will a whitetail move faster because the crossbow makes more noise? I don't see it

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: titan2232] #5965509 10/07/15 12:50 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted By: titan2232
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Wow what a can of worms I opened. I guess my lack of experience at the hunting lease over the areas has left me behind the times since I didnt realize the nuances.

I personally think the "loud" talk about the crossbow is bs

Are crossbows loud? Yes

Do crossbows shoot faster than compounds? Many do

Are compounds loud? Mine certainly is

IMHO whitetail can hear both crossbows AND compounds at 50 yards or even farther so no real disadvantage to the crossbow.

Will a whitetail move faster because the crossbow makes more noise? I don't see it

Come shoot mine then. You will change your opinion quickly. My crossbow is much louder than my compound. Whitetail move faster because of the crossbow noise because they hear much quicker. Have you ever hunted with a crossbow?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bigfoot] #5965512 10/07/15 12:54 PM
B
Big Daddy K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I don't use a cross bow or a compound. Go Fred Bear if ya want a challenge plus its a lot more fun and satisfying for me.

It ain't easy being me.

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: kry226] #5965513 10/07/15 12:55 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: kry226
I hunt with whatever the heck kind of legal weapon I take a notion to hunt with, and couldn't care less what the "better" hunter thinks of it. Having killed deer with every type of weapon I own (rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, compound bow, crossBOW) except a pistol, I have never noticed a bit of difference in the rush of taking a deer based on the weapon I was using.

Run what you brung and mind your own business. Ain't America great? flag up

And there it is. up

Re: bow vs crossbow [Re: Bill Waldschmidt] #5965571 10/07/15 01:24 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: jshouse
Seems like cheating to me, but its legal.

I personally like the challenge of bow hunting

"cheating" implies there is some sort of competition going on...who are you competing with while hunting?

The deer

whats your weapon of choice there Bill? a nice little 325fps compound? I'm pretty sure the deer is gonna think you are cheating no matter what weapon you are using buddy, unless its your bare hands.

its the same reason "LF guys" hate "HF guys," ego. you don't want someone getting props for a big deer if they killed "easier" than you did.

gold jacket, green jacket....

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide