Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Magazine capacity #5956712 10/01/15 11:15 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I'm not coming back to this one, except for exceptions.

A sicko shot and killed 13 people in today on a college campus, as well as injured 20 other people. He was an expert marksman, or had at least more than a magazine of 33 bullets. We're all hunters on this forum, I think.

Why in my whole wide world would you ever want a magazine of more than 9 bullets?

Please don't give me the nose of the camel argument. I'm not looking for an argument at all, just a logical reason for 50 shot magazines.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5956815 10/02/15 12:34 AM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Because 9mm would be pointless then.

Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5957126 10/02/15 03:49 AM
B
bull279 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Honestly, If you have 10 rd magazines and you have several of them, what point is a magazine restriction going to do to help? A competent shooter can change a magazine in a second. If you are going against an unarmed target, there is not worry about finding cover to reload. Drop the empty and pop in a full magazine. 5 round, 10 round, 15 round magazine... it really doesn't matter. If you have money, you can have as many rounds as you want with minimal time to reload between mags.

Last edited by bull279; 10/02/15 03:49 AM.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

U.S. Army Military Police (ABN) 1998-2003
Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5958456 10/03/15 02:56 AM
dogdown23 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Key word "sicko". Don't blame the gun or magazines.

Dogdown

The only thing that'll stop a bad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun.
Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5959306 10/03/15 09:52 PM
boonee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I'm not going to diminish another travesty. AND, I have sorrow for what those families are going through, BUT...
Has anyone noticed there have NOT been mass shootings at Gun shows,Gun ranges,or even Gun Shops.
My take on the mag. capacity, IS it would be the first step in banning ALL guns!
It's like: well, I don't hunt with _____ go ahead and ban THEM.
It's like Obama care, It helped a few... but all of us that it didn't help are having to pay way more than our share.

Avenger Firearms 214-577-5818
avengerfirearms@gmail.com

Lifetime NRA member
Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5959639 10/04/15 02:22 AM
91cavgt Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Have any of you been walking out to your stand at 5 am in the morning, in the pitch black, and then you smell it. Hogs. Then you hear them. <<STOP>> In this situation, would you prefer to have an AR-15 in your arms with a 5 round magazine, or an AR-15 with a 30 round magazine?

I have been in this situation and luckily, the hogs went on their way. However, my dad and I were frozen in place for about 15 minutes. So yes, there truely is a purpose for a high capacity magazine. I'm not even going to get into the original intent of the 2nd Amendment.

God has a plan and something special in mind for all of us. Do you know the direction that God wants to send you?
Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5959704 10/04/15 03:00 AM
T
tth_40 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Ask what is the use for more than 10 rounds in a magazine is, pass a law that only allows 10 round magazines.

A few years down the road, the question is asked "why would anyone need 10 rounds in a magazine?"

Then pass a law that only allows 5 round magazines.

IT NEVER STOPS. IT WILL NOT STOP UNTIL EVERYONE IS DISARMED. GIVE AN INCH, MAKE A CONCESSION AND THEY JUST WANT TO TAKE AWAY MORE. MORE OF YOUR RIGHTS. IT WILL ONLY GET MORE RESTRICTIVE.

It's really that simple.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5960472 10/04/15 08:31 PM
N
norm762 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
N
Chicago has the most restrictive gun laws in the country, giving the
liberals everything that they want. If the laws worked, Chicago would
be the safest place in the country. Instead it is a war zone, where
legal law abiding Americans have to resort to the court system to have
the same constitutional rights as every other American.
Leave us not forget, the college campus is what every liberal wants,
a gun free zone. It is against the law for the law abiding to protect
themselves. If these laws worked, schools would be the safest places
in our country. Has this worked?
The truth is exactly what Wayne Lapierre says, The only thing that
will stop a bad man with a gun, is a good guy with a gun.
We have over 30,000 gun laws on the books, affecting only the law abiding
American.
The Obama regime is rogue, and will not stop until America is yet another
third world s--t hole. They do this by stripping us of our Constitution.

Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5960535 10/04/15 09:22 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Has it been released the type of guns used and what the round count of the magazines used.
I know the news stories all say a rifle and a couple handguns were at the scene and a total of 13 guns have been related to the shooter. Must of those were at his home and not with him.
But what did he use???

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5963171 10/06/15 02:56 AM
C
cyphertext Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Ask a cop why he would want a magazine with more than 9 bullets...

Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5963980 10/06/15 05:36 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5964722 10/07/15 12:03 AM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
Where in the constitution does it tell us what we need?

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5966384 10/07/15 10:00 PM
texretvet Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I just love it when people do not understand the 2nd Amendment at all.

Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5969329 10/09/15 03:51 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Why more than 9 Bill? Because I can. Heck, I should be able to walk in to a Walmart and buy a full auto rifle I want, but someone decided that those were too dangerous and now they are highly restricted.

Same issue here, inch by inch anything is a cinch. They won't stop at 10 or 5 or even at single shot. They won't stop until only government and criminals have guns. At that point, none of our other constitutionally guaranteed rights will mean a whole lot.

Just my 2 cents.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Magazine capacity [Re: texretvet] #5970221 10/10/15 05:07 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: texretvet
I just love it when people do not understand the 2nd Amendment at all.

I'm hoping this is in reference to the OP.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5970301 10/10/15 12:12 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

A sicko shot and killed 13 people in today on a college campus, as well as injured 20 other people. He was an expert marksman, or had at least more than a magazine of 33 bullets. We're all hunters on this forum, I think.

Why in my whole wide world would you ever want a magazine of more than 9 bullets?

Please don't give me the nose of the camel argument. I'm not looking for an argument at all, just a logical reason for 50 shot magazines.

The frame of reference you used, would indicate that you feel limited mag capacity would stop or slow these crazy, sicko people. To me, that line of thinking is reactionary and just not logical.

The magazine capacity that I want to help me defend the ranch against a group of people, is: Up to me, and me and my family.

If you don't already see that, then no responses here will be logical to you.

Respectfully,
Marc Kurth

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5970375 10/10/15 01:26 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Oh Bill, can 'o worms...

Squirrel hunting is great fun with a 22lr. I've been under trees with dens that held many squirrels. It's great fun popping off rounds at running tree rats. You need a mag with enough capacity to be entertaining though and a few more mags in your pocket.

You always hear about hogs in a mag discussion, but that is a valid point. Once you've been in a situation where it's just you and hogs, you truly appreciate a 20 or 30 round mag. I've been there. Standing in a field, pigs at every point on the compass, AR15 going full tilt boogie off hand, pigs under my feet, empty mag, eject mag, 20 rounder back in and keep firing with hardly a pause. When it's over you wonder why you are shaking.

Let's have some fun Bill. I'll get a case of cheap drinking water in small bottles and set them up 50 yards down range. Let's load that 30 rounder up for the AR15 and take turns exploding bottles as fast as we can. You get 30 seconds and 30 rounds. I'll win Bill, cause I don't miss.

You ask why I need a mag with greater than nine round capacity. Need? Sure, occasionally. BUT, my rights extend far beyond my needs, all the way to the things I desire.

Bill, why does anybody NEED a gator to hunt quail from?

It's the same discussion.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5970576 10/10/15 03:59 PM
91cavgt Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: bill oxner

Here is another point. You always hear people talking about the slipery slope. You know, once things start then they go uncontrolled.

So, along the same magazine discussion goes this. Why do you need a vehicle with 300 horsepower? One side of the argument is you don't. 25 horsepower in any vehicle will get you to any destination you want with a modest top speed of around 55-60 mph. Why do you need a vehicle that can go 150 mph? Why do you need a vehicle that can go 100 mph? In a vehicle that tows, just a simple regear and you can tow 10,000 pounds with 25 horsepower. Of course, you'll only do about 20 mph on flat road but that is safer than going 70 mph with that same load, right?

Here is the answer Bill. FREEDOM. When you take away choices people have and you dictate what people can and can not buy you loose freedom. Do you want to loose freedom Bill? I sure don't. I'm all for 100 round magazines and 500 horsepower vehicles. Why? Because America.

God has a plan and something special in mind for all of us. Do you know the direction that God wants to send you?
Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5974743 10/13/15 10:30 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Other than my AR and my old Browning Hi-Powers (which I don't shoot) I don't own any handguns that hold over 7 in the mag. My revolvers see the most use and my 239 gets the most glove box time. Were it to come down to no semi-autos (never happen) but if it did I'd be pretty comfortable carrying a 4 inch K frame model 19 S&W.

Hell I still have about a dozen 10 rd mag's for the Hi-Powers from the last time they had a magazine ban. I also have a good stock of the original 13 rounders that were grandfathered.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bull279] #5974746 10/13/15 10:39 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: bull279
Honestly, If you have 10 rd magazines and you have several of them, what point is a magazine restriction going to do to help? A competent shooter can change a magazine in a second. If you are going against an unarmed target, there is not worry about finding cover to reload. Drop the empty and pop in a full magazine. 5 round, 10 round, 15 round magazine... it really doesn't matter. If you have money, you can have as many rounds as you want with minimal time to reload between mags.

I can reload a revolver as fast as I can an auto.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5983848 10/19/15 03:59 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
The magazine capacity argument is just another "feel good" deal.

Ban them, and what happens? The evil nut says "Oh, I was going to shoot as many people as I could today, but that pesky high-cap magazine ban has prevented me from doing so."

Really?

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Magazine capacity [Re: bill oxner] #5984183 10/19/15 08:02 PM
B
Blacksunshine Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
The main problem with what seems to be a relatively few "hunters" is they look at weapons and their tools to hunt as precisely that..... "Hunting gear". These few miss what the second amendment was designed to be for. The second amendment is NOT for 'hunting'. I own my weapons as well as millions of other people for defense of myself, my neighbors, my country, and all of our collective freedom. We just happen to hunt as well. The second amendment clearly states the people may have firearms in order to secure a free state. I think if the government can have them so should all of us. (And yes that includes up to and including tanks, jets, submarines all of it regardless of if its practical) Without the second amendment, THERE WOULD NOT BE ANY OTHERS!! I hunt with what lib-Tard bureaucrats refer to "assault weapons" from time to time. I use a 20-30rd Mags loaded with however many I think is sufficient. I'm here to tell you, If the poop hit the fan.... I'd use that same gun with as if of mag as I can to PROTECT YOU, ME AND ALL OF OUR FAMILIES. Its my GOD GIVEN CONSTITUTIONALLY PROTECTED right to have these weapons. And the same for you. I know this rant seems angry, I assure you it's not, and I'm not . I respect your viewpoint. To quote a founding hero named Jefferson.... "THOSE WHO TRADE THEIR ARMS FOR PLOWS, WILL PLOW FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT."

The hughes amendment is garbage! Nothing in the Constitution says
"a well neutered militia"
Re: Magazine capacity [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #5985547 10/20/15 03:31 PM
B
Baylor_Bears Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
Why more than 9 Bill? Because I can. Heck, I should be able to walk in to a Walmart and buy a full auto rifle I want, but someone decided that those were too dangerous and now they are highly restricted.

Same issue here, inch by inch anything is a cinch. They won't stop at 10 or 5 or even at single shot. They won't stop until only government and criminals have guns. At that point, none of our other constitutionally guaranteed rights will mean a whole lot.

Just my 2 cents.

This argument doesn't make a lot of sense to me......why drive 100 through a small town when the speed limit is 45? Because you can? So lets put all of those pedestrians in danger because you can?

Re: Magazine capacity [Re: Baylor_Bears] #5985643 10/20/15 04:40 PM
91cavgt Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Just my 2 cents.

This argument doesn't make a lot of sense to me......why drive 100 through a small town when the speed limit is 45? Because you can? So lets put all of those pedestrians in danger because you can?

How exactly is a high capacity magazine putting people in danger?

Re: Magazine capacity [Re: 91cavgt] #5985779 10/20/15 06:09 PM
B
Baylor_Bears Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: 91cavgt
Originally Posted By: Baylor_Bears

Just my 2 cents.

How exactly is a high capacity magazine putting people in danger?

No where in there did I say it was. I dont have a problem with what is being argued, I have a problem with the argument he is making.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide