Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Shooter Buck blowing #5963082 10/06/15 02:28 AM
Ramsey Offline OP
Pepe' Le Pew
OP Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
I had a mature buck come in Saturday and winded me. He started blowing then spent the next 30 minutes doing a semi circle blowing over and over again. It started at 7:30 PM until dark. I have never had a deer do this for that long. My only guess was he knew something was wrong and was trying to locate it.what say you?

Big Beckett!!
Re: Shooter Buck blowing [Re: Ramsey] #5963095 10/06/15 02:32 AM
T
texashelms Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
You are most likely correct on him trying to find you. I've had it happen to me many times over years. I just try and wait them out.

Re: Shooter Buck blowing [Re: Ramsey] #5963099 10/06/15 02:33 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
You must stink peep

I would think he new something was not just right and could not locate the source. Never had a mature buck stay around that long. My guess is your scent was not very detectable and that is why he hung around that long trying to locate you or get a better scent trail. Was the air calm or swirling?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Shooter Buck blowing [Re: Ramsey] #5963122 10/06/15 02:39 AM
B
Brandon82 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Sounds like he winded you.

Re: Shooter Buck blowing [Re: stxranchman] #5963131 10/06/15 02:43 AM
Ramsey Offline OP
Pepe' Le Pew
OP Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
You must stink peep

I would think he new something was not just right and could not locate the source. Never had a mature buck stay around that long. My guess is your scent was not very detectable and that is why he hung around that long trying to locate you or get a better scent trail. Was the air calm or swirling?
wind was from the ne and not swirling. My blind was ne of the feeder. He started blowing when he was south of me and was not directly downwind. I did a bit of work at the feeder but was wearing rubber boots and gloves. It was a epic night as the deer were moving. I had about 12 deer start to come in from the ne, and he kept blowing over and over again. It looked like he was warning them, but I analized it to be he was trying to find what he smelled. Bad news is I can only hunt this stand with a east or north or ne wind. It seems that he beds to the ne of my blind. If he is the buck I think he us I bumped him one time in March when he was two. Landlocked with two perpendicular highways.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Shooter Buck blowing [Re: Ramsey] #5963138 10/06/15 02:46 AM
Ramsey Offline OP
Pepe' Le Pew
OP Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Sorry my blind is south east of feeder. Wind was in my face.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Shooter Buck blowing [Re: Brandon82] #5963142 10/06/15 02:48 AM
Ramsey Offline OP
Pepe' Le Pew
OP Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Originally Posted By: Brandon82
Sounds like he winded you.
oh he winded me alright. I am used to a deer blowing and running ooff. This was going on for 30 minutes. One he started blowing he was upwind of me the whole time.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Shooter Buck blowing [Re: Ramsey] #5963250 10/06/15 03:47 AM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I've seen them get kind of incensed about you being around, and make a point of harassing you. I had a doe do the same thing as your buck for about 15 minutes one day. She even left at one point and came back.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Shooter Buck blowing [Re: Ramsey] #5963335 10/06/15 09:43 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Had does do that, but not for that long, guess he wanted to be there and just couldn't "talk himself in to it". I have had a couple does over the years, that once they busted me, they will blow at a particular spot, "just because". Many times they will calm down and head to the feeder, but some of those old does can be a PITA.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Shooter Buck blowing [Re: Ramsey] #5963476 10/06/15 12:57 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Had a 6.5 year old stud eight point I was hunting do that one time. I kept seeing him cross a sendero where there were no stands and feeders. So I went in and set up a tripod near where he crossed. Wind was in my face and he came in from upwind, but stopped short and started the blowing. He moved 180 degrees back and forth blowing for about 15 minutes, but never did go downwind of me. I figured that old buck knew something was where there hadn't been anything before, and he was trying to get that "something" to move. After a fifteen minute stand off, he hauled azz in the direction he came from. Never did kill that buck.

Also had an old doe bust me moving around in a tower stand one day. She stood there 100 yards away blowing like crazy. That afternoon's hunt was over. A few days later the wind was right so I went back to that stand. The old hide showed up and started her blowing 15 minutes after I had settled in. She stood in the brush 100 yards away stomping and blowing with just her head visible. She never ruined another hunt after that afternoon.

Re: Shooter Buck blowing [Re: Ramsey] #5963762 10/06/15 03:54 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I have had this happen a few times. I believe it to be territorial. They know something is there not sure what it is don't want to back down. Something is throwing them off a mild scent or just a sixth sense. There are a lot of pheromones and hormones that are set off by chemicals in your detergent, deodorant, shampoo, scent killer, etc. He is thinking your a new buck in town with a funny smell or a challenger. You can sometimes wheeze or snort back at them to get their curiosity and bring them in. Set up for a good rattle has been the ways I have hunted deer that keep doing that. Just don't keep trying what you are doing he will figur eyou out. Get a solid plan and go back and stick with it.

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: Shooter Buck blowing [Re: Ramsey] #5963983 10/06/15 05:39 PM
L
Las Colinas Hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
Similar thing happened to me on Sat morning, he didn't blow as long. Check the cameras on Sunday and the mature 8 that was showing up to where I was hunting ended bypassing and going to another feeder. I was so disappointed. Yet another reminder to check the wind! After 20+ years i need these reminders.

Re: Shooter Buck blowing [Re: MoBettaHuntR] #5964063 10/06/15 06:34 PM
Ramsey Offline OP
Pepe' Le Pew
OP Offline
Pepe' Le Pew
Originally Posted By: MoBettaHuntR
I have had this happen a few times. I believe it to be territorial. They know something is there not sure what it is don't want to back down. Something is throwing them off a mild scent or just a sixth sense. There are a lot of pheromones and hormones that are set off by chemicals in your detergent, deodorant, shampoo, scent killer, etc. He is thinking your a new buck in town with a funny smell or a challenger. You can sometimes wheeze or snort back at them to get their curiosity and bring them in. Set up for a good rattle has been the ways I have hunted deer that keep doing that. Just don't keep trying what you are doing he will figur eyou out. Get a solid plan and go back and stick with it.
And that is the problem. My stand on the ranch is in the far southwest corner landlocked with two highways. 95% of the deer come from the east or the north. This shooter buck apparently beds in the ridge sw of me. I strategically cannot move feeders, pens and bow blind at this point in the season. I may try to find a place for a chum pile but it will be hard as I will be messing around his bed.

Big Beckett!!
Re: Shooter Buck blowing [Re: Ramsey] #5964095 10/06/15 06:50 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Had a younger buck do something similar last year. He was bedding near a feeder I was hunting and would start blowing and stomping every time I walked in, in the dark. I don't think he ever caught my wind, just heard me slip in to my treestand.

Re: Shooter Buck blowing [Re: Las Colinas Hunter] #5964166 10/06/15 07:34 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter
Similar thing happened to me on Sat morning, he didn't blow as long. Check the cameras on Sunday and the mature 8 that was showing up to where I was hunting ended bypassing and going to another feeder. I was so disappointed. Yet another reminder to check the wind! After 20+ years i need these reminders.

Forget about the blind... if you really want him hunt on the ground. I Hunt on the ground 90% of the time without a blind just up under a tree with some brush or cedar limbs in front of me. Get good camo and face cover, buy a good swivel seat that is silent and comfortable. Think about when and where you can draw without him seeing you. Throw some corn out where you want him... let em fly.

Making your draw is really the only point being up in the air is super beneficial unless you don't know where deer are coming from... You know his route. Keep playing the wind. Even up in a tree they can see motion fairly easily so just have to perfect the skill. Learn not to look at every twig snap or acorn drop. Time your draw and be able to hold it if you have to. Practice in your head how it will happen in a few different scenarios. Is he coming in and not stopping ? Does he come across at a different angle? On the other side of this bush or that one? Then think about when and how you will draw in each scenario. Sometime jus the corn is enough with their head down for a second. The same stuff you think about from up in a tree your just closer and easier to see but it also makes your shot closer no angles. No cell phone games or other bs. Plus mature bucks are weary at feeders he will be more unsuspecting walking down the trail you just better be ready or miss your chance.

Re: Shooter Buck blowing [Re: Ramsey] #5964168 10/06/15 07:36 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Ramsey
Originally Posted By: MoBettaHuntR
And that is the problem. My stand on the ranch is in the far southwest corner landlocked with two highways. 95% of the deer come from the east or the north. This shooter buck apparently beds in the ridge sw of me. I strategically cannot move feeders, pens and bow blind at this point in the season. I may try to find a place for a chum pile but it will be hard as I will be messing around his bed.

MEant to quote you sir...

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide