Forums46
Topics537,992
Posts9,731,484
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5969030 10/09/15 01:25 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Once while walking a fence line I turned a corner and two coyotes ran off. Then I saw a deer hung up in the fence. It was a small button buck. The coyotes had just ripped a hole the size of your fist in it's belly and it was bleeding everywhere. I shot it in the head and untangled it from the fence and left it laying on the ground. I did not tag it. That was 25 years ago and I would do the same thing today. If a GW gave me a ticket for doing that, then I would just pay the ticket, but I would do the same thing again. But that's just me, everyone has to do what they think is right, and many will disagree with what I did both by shooting it and not tagging it and with just leaving it there for the coyotes.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5969072 10/09/15 01:52 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I bet the kid was excited and good yall are both on the same page now... nothing wrong with what you did.. that ticket don't cost much anyway

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5969082 10/09/15 01:56 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
One thing that is not taught about being on a deer lease. Find out who your neighbors are and go meet them or at least give them a call. It will go a long way if you have to cross a fence to retrieve a deer.

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5969093 10/09/15 02:01 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
One thing that is not taught about being on a deer lease. Find out who your neighbors are and go meet them or at least give them a call. It will go a long way if you have to cross a fence to retrieve a deer.

Or at least give you a heads up on what kind of people they are.

Last edited by hook_n_line; 10/09/15 02:02 PM.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5969102 10/09/15 02:04 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
cheers

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5970090 10/10/15 02:21 AM
B
bull279 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
OK, I am gonna muddy the water here again. I was our running around and I saw a game warden. I flagged him down and we had about an 5 minute conversation over this scenario.

First he was most concerned about the hunters coming across the fence onto private property. I told him how that was resolved, and he said that it was up to the landowner on how that would have proceeded. As far as shooting the wounded deer, he had no issue with that. He also said that things played out with no issue in the end. The deer was eventually tagged and there was agreement between hunters. He would have no issue with it.

HOWEVER, he said that it was highly dependent on the individual game warden. One that was full of spit and vinegar might write alot of tickets for everything. But he said that there are alot of older game wardens out there that would respect the choice of the hunters as long as the deer ended up tagged by a present party.

He could understand both sides of the argument on here and he actually asked what the opinion on here was. I told him that there were alot of people that felt things were done right, even though it might not be exactly right, and that there was also a contingent of people that felt that the deer needed to be tagged by the hunter that dispatched the doe and then a wildlife resource document completed. But there was no clear consensus overall.

The important thing is to get to know the game warden in the county that you are hunting and if it comes down to it, call him and ask him what he feels is necessary. Your game warden is going to be the one to bring the hammer down and each one has their own way of doing things and beliefs on how things should be done.

He did say that if the deer were a buck under AR and it was killed because it was wounded. The hunter killing the deer would be the one getting the ticket.

All in all, a good conversation.

Last edited by bull279; 10/10/15 02:28 AM.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

U.S. Army Military Police (ABN) 1998-2003
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: ryorgensen] #5970102 10/10/15 02:35 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: ryorgensen
Originally Posted By: BOONER
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: don k
If I got a ticket for every time I did not do something exactly by the law I would either be broke or in jail. I can not believe some of you and your hollier than thou thinking.

Virtually every time ALL of us hunt we break a law. Incredible that people don't know that.

Huh!!! confused2

Most people shoot before and /or after legal shooting time is one that comes to mind...

Lol. Because you break the law doesn't mean "most people" do!!!

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5970203 10/10/15 04:40 AM
R
ryorgensen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
You never drive over the speed limit? Drove off from a gas station after being 1 penny over ? Shot before or after shooting hours? Forget hunting license at camp while hunting? Cross a fence without landowners permission? Not tag a deer? Use a family members tag? My bad Boone...Forgot your perfect....🙏👏👼💩

Robert
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5970351 10/10/15 01:02 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Bull, you did not muddy the waters, in fact you helped me out a lot, I don't know my GW and I'm going to call him this week and introduce myself. And as the GW said himself, "It all depends on what GW you get as to their thoughts on the law and what needed to be done in this situation..

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: 1860.colt] #5970551 10/10/15 03:25 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45

Originally Posted By: colt.45
Yes, they crossed a fence without permission to be on the property, but that is another issue. Thank you for all of your opinion on this situation.

confused2
9 posts & new info introduced inta this debait, debate on Legally and ethically, whose deer is it ? ... Original post, nothing about illegal trespessing... If it would have been some one on lease ethicaly teaching youth to follow up shot... Would you have lectured about deer coming inta your area, & them claming it ? Legally who's deer is it ? flag

popcorn flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: BOONER] #5970602 10/10/15 04:29 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
If I got a ticket for every time I did not do something exactly by the law I would either be broke or in jail. I can not believe some of you and your hollier than thou thinking.

Virtually every time ALL of us hunt we break a law. Incredible that people don't know that.

Huh!!! confused2

I hate to say it, but he is probably right. One that immediately comes to mind is tagging a deer or antelope before it's moved or gutted. I suspect very few people follow that law to the letter. Yes, some do, but I'd be willing to bet it's the minority of hunters.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: oldoak2000] #5970621 10/10/15 04:54 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
Originally Posted By: brianl
I think you handled it well. I would let them tag it and see nothing wrong with it.

not trying to be a hard arse at all, but the LAW contains the word "IMMEDIATELY" in TWO PLACES regarding tagging & logging - which makes this 'case' clear cut as who is REQUIRED to tag it & log it.
I suggest several of you fellows review your 'Outdoor Annual' if you don't understand what "IMMEDIATELY" means.

With that in mind, I stand by my first post on this topic.
when "immediately comes to my mind" I had better get to the toilet. flush

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: ryorgensen] #5971023 10/10/15 11:23 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: ryorgensen
You never drive over the speed limit? Drove off from a gas station after being 1 penny over ? Shot before or after shooting hours? Forget hunting license at camp while hunting? Cross a fence without landowners permission? Not tag a deer? Use a family members tag? My bad Boone...Forgot your perfect....🙏👏👼💩

The answer to all of your questions except for the speed limit is no! I was just asking Rancher what he was talking about by saying we all break the law every time we hunt! But if you feel ok with breaking all of those laws then more power to you. Don't get butt hurt at me because I don't.

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Grizz] #5971029 10/10/15 11:25 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Grizz

Huh!!! confused2

I hate to say it, but he is probably right. One that immediately comes to mind is tagging a deer or antelope before it's moved or gutted. I suspect very few people follow that law to the letter. Yes, some do, but I'd be willing to bet it's the minority of hunters.

But that's not virtually every time we hunt. That's why I am confused!

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Grizz] #5971054 10/10/15 11:59 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Grizz

Huh!!! confused2

You shouldn't hate agreeing with me. It's a pretty safe position to take.

Folks who don't know they break a law everyday simply don't know the laws. They say it's bliss.

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5971346 10/11/15 04:15 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Please elaborate Rancher!

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5971531 10/11/15 02:00 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
What do you want me to elaborate on?

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: BOONER] #5971587 10/11/15 02:41 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I just came in from a dove hunt and can't think of a single law I violated while hunting. As for the speed limit thing, I wasn't hunting, I was driving.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5971673 10/11/15 03:59 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
What do you want me to elaborate on?

My question was for Rancher. Mr.T feel free to elaborate on anything that is amusing or educational. up

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Slow Drifter] #5971675 10/11/15 04:01 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
I just came in from a dove hunt and can't think of a single law I violated while hunting. As for the speed limit thing, I wasn't hunting, I was driving.

I'm sure Rancher will let you know what you did wrong! I'm sure it's some silly "blue law" or something similarly stupid that he is mouthing about!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide