Forums46
Topics537,813
Posts9,729,428
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: oldoak2000] #5965842 10/07/15 04:09 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
Originally Posted By: brianl
I think you handled it well. I would let them tag it and see nothing wrong with it.

not trying to be a hard arse at all, but the LAW contains the word "IMMEDIATELY" in TWO PLACES regarding tagging & logging - which makes this 'case' clear cut as who is REQUIRED to tag it & log it.
I suggest several of you fellows review your 'Outdoor Annual' if you don't understand what "IMMEDIATELY" means.

With that in mind, I stand by my first post on this topic.

No, I don't think we get it. Could you type slower?

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5966002 10/07/15 05:42 PM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
When I was about 15, I shot a nice deer. I tracked that deer for about 2 hours and right back into our camp where another hunter on our lease had shot it again. I do not remember if it was a "bad shot"... that was a long time ago.. but even good shots can have a deer run off a ways. In the end, he kept the deer claiming it was his and we did not want to complain as I, personally, found joy in tracking the deer.

In hindsight.. he was an A$$... lol

But....either way, giving the deer to you kid and using it as a learning opportunity is always good. I would not have burned a tag either. I would have made sure he used one of his tags, unless I had already tagged it as I would have done prior to cleaning it :P

Russ

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: oldoak2000] #5966012 10/07/15 05:46 PM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
Originally Posted By: brianl
I think you handled it well. I would let them tag it and see nothing wrong with it.

not trying to be a hard arse at all, but the LAW contains the word "IMMEDIATELY" in TWO PLACES regarding tagging & logging - which makes this 'case' clear cut as who is REQUIRED to tag it & log it.
I suggest several of you fellows review your 'Outdoor Annual' if you don't understand what "IMMEDIATELY" means.

With that in mind, I stand by my first post on this topic.

Good for you. I had to look up there word, but I have to admit I got bored after I got past the G's. It's kinda crazy (SQUIRREL!)

oh.. what were we talking about?

Wait.. hold up.. where the hell am I?

Oh.. yea.. um.. you can be a hard A$$ all ya want... we don't mind.. in fact, we don't mind at all....

It got tagged. I think, by this time, your point would be sorta moot and just get lots of funny posts.. like this one.. well, ok, maybe funny is too strong a word :P

Russ

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5966045 10/07/15 05:59 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I think the OP handled this situation with class up

[Linked Image]
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5966068 10/07/15 06:11 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I had to chuckle as this brought back some memories hunting with my dad as a kid. We were sitting in a tree stand a couple hundred yards from the adjoining ranch fence. We hear a shot and then about 5 minutes later hear two more shots close together (quickly) and then we hear rustling thru the brush as a deer was hauling the mail towards us. It was a decent buck, so dad drew a bead and dropped it. After a little time passed to let it bleed, we see two people come walking down the fence line that stops at the end of the lane in line with our stand. We get down from the tree and walk up to see what they wanted. It was a husband & wife that were hunting on the next ranch. She had shot a nice buck, got to it and slapped her tag on it waiting on her husband to come gut it. The buck jumps up and takes off, she fired 2 more shots and it jumped the fence. They were wondering if we had seen it come by our stand. Dad told them he shot a decent buck shortly after hearing the shots ... we strolled down to where dad's buck lay and sure enough, it had her tag attached to its antler. We couldn't find any other bullet marks, so we guessed she had hit the antlers and merely knocked him out. anyway, it was hard to argue she had already tagged the deer, and dad gave it to them.

I have to agree, doing the right thing isn't always to the letter of the law but think the OP did the right thing.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: PMK] #5966076 10/07/15 06:15 PM
texassippi Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: PMK
I had to chuckle as this brought back some memories hunting with my dad as a kid. We were sitting in a tree stand a couple hundred yards from the adjoining ranch fence. We hear a shot and then about 5 minutes later hear two more shots close together (quickly) and then we hear rustling thru the brush as a deer was hauling the mail towards us. It was a decent buck, so dad drew a bead and dropped it. After a little time passed to let it bleed, we see two people come walking down the fence line that stops at the end of the lane in line with our stand. We get down from the tree and walk up to see what they wanted. It was a husband & wife that were hunting on the next ranch. She had shot a nice buck, got to it and slapped her tag on it waiting on her husband to come gut it. The buck jumps up and takes off, she fired 2 more shots and it jumped the fence. They were wondering if we had seen it come by our stand. Dad told them he shot a decent buck shortly after hearing the shots ... we strolled down to where dad's buck lay and sure enough, it had her tag attached to its antler. We couldn't find any other bullet marks, so we guessed she had hit the antlers and merely knocked him out. anyway, it was hard to argue she had already tagged the deer, and dad gave it to them.

I have to agree, doing the right thing isn't always to the letter of the law but think the OP did the right thing.

All I know is if I had put a tag on a "dead" deer, and that sucker jumped up and took off while I'm standing next to it, I would have messed my pants.

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: PMK] #5966086 10/07/15 06:25 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

That is one of funnier stories I have heard to show "who did what". Listened to story once about fellow who strapped deer to ATV and had it come alive and also story of fellow who tried to suffocate an antelope with a plastic bag.
back There are quite a few questions that aren't answered that could change the final right/wrong but I think you did OK on your decision.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: don k] #5966120 10/07/15 06:45 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: don k
If I got a ticket for every time I did not do something exactly by the law I would either be broke or in jail. I can not believe some of you and your hollier than thou thinking.

Virtually every time ALL of us hunt we break a law. Incredible that people don't know that.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: dkershen] #5966347 10/07/15 09:16 PM
H
hoof n wings Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: dkershen
Legally you should have placed your tag on it before you started cleaning. So at this point it's on your property and you finished it off so it's technically your buck.

Then call the GW on the two guys who are trespassing on you food plot up

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd ask him if he's pregnant. He missed a s__tload of periods.

Originally Posted by Hancock
I'll take "things that look like a uterus" for $200 Alex.
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5966428 10/07/15 10:43 PM
R
ryorgensen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
The wanna be Game Warden needs a shot of common sense...99% of real GW understand certain situations arise and are understandable in cases like these.
The kid shot the Deer and the OP just helped him out finishing it off....The kid got the Deer and I'm sure happily used his tag...Nobody I know would burn a tag in this situation. That's laughable at best!

Robert
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: ryorgensen] #5966439 10/07/15 10:50 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: ryorgensen
The wanna be Game Warden needs a shot of common sense...99% of real GW understand certain situations arise and are understandable in cases like these.
The kid shot the Deer and the OP just helped him out finishing it off....The kid got the Deer and I'm sure happily used his tag...Nobody I know would burn a tag in this situation. That's laughable at best!

To be determined
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5966565 10/08/15 12:00 AM
Obi Wan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Had something like this happen when I was 16 or 17. I was hunting a field with a fence about 200 yards from my stand. I had permission to shoot deer on other side and to cross the fence. A small buck came running down the fence line. I shot it. 6mm dropped it right there. I walked over and crossed the fence. Just after I got to the deer a man and his 12-13 year old sone walked up. They had permission to hunt only on that side of the fence. They said the boy had shot the deer and they weren't sure if he hit it. Well he had. Busted a front leg, but the deer would have lived. My shot was a good kill shot. Now, this was a good area to hunt and my chances of tagging out were good. I asked the father what he wanted to do and he asked if his son could tag it. I said yes and started across the fence. He stopped me and said they had never hunted before and they weren't sure what to do. I showed them how to fill out the tag (used my pen). Then showed them how to field dress it. I stayed there with the son until the dad got his truck closer and I helped the son drag the deer up the hill to their truck. It dawned on me then that they were both wearing hunting clothes that looked like they pulled the tags off that morning and both were carrying brand new Marlin 30/30s.

To this day, I believe that was my deer, but I believe even more that I showed that kid how to act if this happens to him in the future. I could have pitched a fit and gotten my dad, but I thought it was better to teach them something and let them enjoy that moment. I will never regret letting that kid tag that deer and I think the OP did the right thing too.

Last edited by Obi Wan; 10/08/15 12:02 AM.
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5968618 10/09/15 02:49 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I may have missed it, but where did the first hunter hit the deer? I know you mentioned an injured leg, but specifically where? My point in asking the question is whether or not the first shot would have reasonably been fatal. That should weigh heavily in the decision.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5968695 10/09/15 03:22 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Similar thing happened on our place last year. My BIL's little brother wounded (gut shot) a solid 9 at 50 yrds with his 308 , deer buckled and ran out of sight. He jumped the fence and the land owner dropped him. It was all over by the time I got there. He was sore over it and started to complain. trout Man I hit him good, I hit him good that's my deer...I got there looked at the deer, rolled him over and had to be the bad guy. Said you made a bad shot bud, the neighbor didn't. It's his deer and that's all there is to it. We've hunted together for a long time he should have known that but he was excited because he wanted those thick dark horns & that's all he was thinking about. Had buck fever and totally blew that shot. It happens, sooooo let it go is what I told him. He bottled up for a few weeks ha ha.

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: rattler03] #5968715 10/09/15 03:33 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: rattler03
In the situation that the OP described I'd do the same thing. If it was 140" buck, I'd probably do the same thing because the memory of that hunt and that buck would always be tainted with the fact that another hunter wounded it moments before I shot and killed it. I'd rather the other hunter have it. For example, my best bow buck, a 120" 8 point with a 21" spread, was a deer I shot on an evening hunt and couldn't find that night. The next morning we located the buck, still alive, and I finished him off with an arrow through the neck as he sat bedded down in thick brush about 12 yards from me. That mount should be something that makes me proud whenever I see it, but instead all I think about when I see it is how I gut shot it and it suffered all night before I finally killed the next morning. Back to the OPs situation, IMO I'd rather let the other hunter have the deer, even it was a huge buck, because knowing that he wounded it shortly before I shot it would spoil the memory of that deer.

Say the buck was in a fight with another buck and its lung was punctured during the fight right before you shot him. Do you leave him to the coyotes because he was mortally wounded by Mother Nature before you shot him!

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: therancher] #5968718 10/09/15 03:35 AM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: therancher
If I got a ticket for every time I did not do something exactly by the law I would either be broke or in jail. I can not believe some of you and your hollier than thou thinking.

Virtually every time ALL of us hunt we break a law. Incredible that people don't know that.

Huh!!! confused2

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: BOONER] #5968817 10/09/15 08:14 AM
R
ryorgensen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: BOONER
In the situation that the OP described I'd do the same thing. If it was 140" buck, I'd probably do the same thing because the memory of that hunt and that buck would always be tainted with the fact that another hunter wounded it moments before I shot and killed it. I'd rather the other hunter have it. For example, my best bow buck, a 120" 8 point with a 21" spread, was a deer I shot on an evening hunt and couldn't find that night. The next morning we located the buck, still alive, and I finished him off with an arrow through the neck as he sat bedded down in thick brush about 12 yards from me. That mount should be something that makes me proud whenever I see it, but instead all I think about when I see it is how I gut shot it and it suffered all night before I finally killed the next morning. Back to the OPs situation, IMO I'd rather let the other hunter have the deer, even it was a huge buck, because knowing that he wounded it shortly before I shot it would spoil the memory of that deer.

Say the buck was in a fight with another buck and its lung was punctured during the fight right before you shot him. Do you leave him to the coyotes because he was mortally wounded by Mother Nature before you shot him!

This doesn't make a sense! Comparing a Deer wounding another Deer too another Hunter Shooting a Deer is ...well...Comical.. Evedently you have never made a marginal shot on a Deer nor had a Deer you shot cross a neighboring fence...

Robert
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: BOONER] #5968818 10/09/15 08:16 AM
R
ryorgensen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: therancher

Huh!!! confused2

Most people shoot before and /or after legal shooting time is one that comes to mind...

Robert
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: BOONER] #5968830 10/09/15 10:24 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

I have posed the question of a deer struck by a vehicle, crippled but not dead, to TPWD in Austin. Do I have the right to end he deer's misery and walk away and the answer has been NO

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: blackcoal] #5968919 10/09/15 12:08 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: blackcoal

I have posed the question of a deer struck by a vehicle, crippled but not dead, to TPWD in Austin. Do I have the right to end he deer's misery and walk away and the answer has been NO
I have ended deers lives that have been hit on the road. I have ended deers lives that have been caught in fences. I have gutted deer before tagging them. And many more things not legal by the book but did not harm any one.

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5968958 10/09/15 12:35 PM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
They can give me a damn ticket every day of the week. I will not walk away from a live deer on the side of the road and let it scream in agony...I will leave my wife with it and then give it a damn good reason to be screaming!

R

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5968978 10/09/15 12:52 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
How come none of these situations involve does? Nobody ever bickers over slickheads.

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5968986 10/09/15 01:00 PM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
ok.. ya got us.. one time, in band came.. I met this doe...

wait.. we did not bicker..

me and the doe...

Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: blackcoal] #5969003 10/09/15 01:12 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: blackcoal

That is one of funnier stories I have heard to show "who did what". Listened to story once about fellow who strapped deer to ATV and had it come alive and also story of fellow who tried to suffocate an antelope with a plastic bag.
back There are quite a few questions that aren't answered that could change the final right/wrong but I think you did OK on your decision.

Lol... We had one stand up in a boat. we were hunting on an Island and trying to get it back to the mainland about 3/4 of the way that sucker stood up and scared the you know what out of us. It fell right back over but dang! for a second I thought about jumping in the cold water.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Legally and ethically, whose deer is it? [Re: Mr. T.] #5969028 10/09/15 01:24 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
The worst case of deer jumping a fence and ethics. About 12 years ago there was buck roaming that everybody on 2 large ranches wanted. Well one of our hunters shot it and it jumped the fence. We could prove where the shot was made because of blood and hair on the ground. Called the other rancher and GW came out. The landowner said yep you got him but you ain't going to get him. He was mad cause he didn't shoot it. GW couldn't do anything. That deer laid there and the coyotes shreaded it. Funny thing is about 4 months later the skull and antlers were found in a gravel pit on our side of the fence. Guess coyotes dragged it over. deer2 big deer and women can mess a man up.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide