Forums46
Topics538,021
Posts9,731,919
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Suppressed 12 gauge with thermal takes monster boar! [Re: Texaslawman] #5973414 10/12/15 05:08 PM
I
IamMr2 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I
Excellent video and posts. Thank you.

I hunt with a 12 gauge about a third of the time. Was looking at those shotgun suppressors about two weeks ago. Other than sound suppression, do you find any other benefit to using them? Is the sound suppression very effective? Noticed you are using a semiauto. Any effect on feeding?

My favorite is 00 buck and it leaves 'em DRT on an average size hog. I ran into some big ones once that I backed away from due to being unsure of the effect. This video post tells me I was right. I've tried a couple of brands of slug but they shoot high. Hoping to get that sorted out soon.

Last but not least, what is that song in the background and who plays it? Loves me some gut-bucket blues when I'm drinkin' rot-gut scotch from a warm, dirty glass.

Re: Suppressed 12 gauge with thermal takes monster boar! [Re: IamMr2] #5976509 10/14/15 03:41 AM
T
Texaslawman Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: IamMr2
Excellent video and posts. Thank you.

I hunt with a 12 gauge about a third of the time. Was looking at those shotgun suppressors about two weeks ago. Other than sound suppression, do you find any other benefit to using them? Is the sound suppression very effective? Noticed you are using a semiauto. Any effect on feeding?

My favorite is 00 buck and it leaves 'em DRT on an average size hog. I ran into some big ones once that I backed away from due to being unsure of the effect. This video post tells me I was right. I've tried a couple of brands of slug but they shoot high. Hoping to get that sorted out soon.

Last but not least, what is that song in the background and who plays it? Loves me some gut-bucket blues when I'm drinkin' rot-gut scotch from a warm, dirty glass.

Just like rifle suppressors the shot and slugs are going supersonic so there will always be the sonic crack of the projectiles "it is not movie silencer quiet!"

This has been the response from the other hunters on every hunt "Man that thing looks Bad A$$" then "Oh man that's disappointing its not that quiet." Then I remove the suppressor and after about 2-3 shots they are saying "Put it back on!"

For other than sound suppression they tend to reduce recoil and may give a slight increase in muzzle velocity.

The song is Bring me my shotgun, by Lightnin' Hopkins.

Pro staff: LWRCI, VORTEX OPTICS, SILENCER SHOP, HORNADY AMMUNITION, Barnes Bullets, Bass Pro Shops, . Huey Outdoors. CMMG INC.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/LoneStarBoars?sub_confirmation=1
Re: Suppressed 12 gauge with thermal takes monster boar! [Re: Texaslawman] #5981646 10/17/15 05:56 PM
H
Hunter-Steve Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
Thanks for the video and great points about big boars.

Re: Suppressed 12 gauge with thermal takes monster boar! [Re: Dave Scott] #5981712 10/17/15 07:49 PM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Dave Scott
THANKS. I have a buckshot thread going but one problem is the only guys chiming in are the ones that have success stories. I've been trying to find out about buckshot failures as well. On a large hog it seems a slug is the only choice.

Dave Scott, I've found that on hogs under 100 pounds and under 40 yards, OO Buck works OK. I've had lots of them shot with Buck get up and run off after the initial shock. I no longer use Buck on the hogs, and have gone exclusively to slugs. I want them DRT, and my experience with buckshot has led me to the conclusion that is not the best choice out of my shotguns.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide