THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: Greekangler
Originally Posted By: Stompy
Originally Posted By: Greekangler
Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I think my worst shot is them scooting away from me at a slight angle and shooting at their butts.

Wasn't very good at that shot until started shooting clays

Did you receive instruction?

Not sure if you were serious or sarcastic..hard to tell on THF confused2

I was just curious.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Practice [Re: JEmberson] #5963005 10/06/15 01:57 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: JEmberson
Gun mount, pulling head off of stock on overhead shots and not keeping the gun moving are all bad habits people pick up.
I was always told the four "B"s... Butt,beak,break-away,BANG! Choosing a shot early and tracking it's flight line helps hugely, you'll find yourself automatically picking the right lead for different birds. Not keeping good habits and not practicing is the main problem. That and guys that shoot rifles mostly have a tendency to "aim" a shotgun.

Yup- pull thru works well on crossing shots- matches speed of bird regardless of distance-

Big no no is also people that look at that goofy bead/ looking at barrel is a big issue- you stop swinging typically- it should be a blur or not even visible if you are focusing on target

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Practice [Re: Stompy] #5963647 10/06/15 02:46 PM
L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I'm a fixed lead shooter. I like to see the bird the whole way and just adjust my lead before I shoot. Works for me.

And I like my bead. I'm kinda tall so it helps me see with my peripheral vision if I'm looking down the barrel. Otherwise I tend to have my head up too much and shoot high sometimes.

Doesn't matter what you prefer, nothing beats practice and experience.

Re: Practice [Re: Stompy] #5963655 10/06/15 02:51 PM
B
bull279 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I thought dove hunting was practice for duck hunting. grin

Skeet shooting does help get your lead down and improve your shot. A box of clays and a few boxes of shells make dove season alot more fun and leads to more G or PG rated language.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

U.S. Army Military Police (ABN) 1998-2003
Re: Practice [Re: bull279] #5964734 10/07/15 12:11 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
As many (I think) have said, taking lessons and shooting correctly (both eyes open, keeping both eyes locked on target, good mount, etc..), is way more important than practice.

When you learn to shoot correctly, everything slows down dramatically. If you are shooting with 1 eye closed, and worse yet your eye(s) goes back and forth, from bead of your gun to target to make sure it is aligned (like how you shoot a rifle, deer over a feeder), you will struggle, especially when you get older and your eyes do not focus as fast. A moving target is much different than a still target. If you are young, and have good eye/hand coordination, you can get away with bad technique, but eventually it will catch up to you, in your 40's probably, as it did me. When you see a bird or clay, it takes a while for your eyes to bring target into focus (especially the older you get), if you take your eyes off the target to look at the bead of your gun, then go back to target the focusing process starts all over again, and going back and forth with your eyes, everything will just be a blur. But if you keep your eyes locked on target, and your eyes bring bird into focus, and you have some time, it all slows down, you shoulder your gun after fully focused on the bird, and it becomes easy. And shooting birds is much easier than shooting a clay, the flapping wings of a bird helps draw your eyes to the bird and helps you focus faster on the target.

Its funny how many spend a ton of money on hunting, but will not spend $300 on few lessons, which will make all the difference in the world. So if you are struggling, do yourself a favor, take a few lessons, best money you will ever spend, you will earn it back in using less shells. If anyone in the DFW area wants an excellent shooting instructor, shoot me a PM, I know a great one.

Not everyone needs lessons. Took one of my son's friend shooting clay, never shot clay before and never really bird hunted. Gave him some dry dock lessons, keep both eyes open, keep your eye on the ball etc... Lined him up, threw first clay he nails it. I joke with him its beginners luck, throw another he nails that. The kid hit his first 7 clays thrown, and was a great shot from day one.

Re: Practice [Re: Stompy] #5965918 10/07/15 04:54 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Stompy
Originally Posted By: Judd
For some it has nothing to do with the killing as much as it does the hunt. If the guys that shot 16 boxes had fun then good on them...

Absolutely, they had a blast. I guess it bugs me more than them.

Bugs me too. Wastefulness is an epidemic in our country. Hunting used to be one of those things that taught people to only use what they have to now its how much can I buy. Regardless having fun is the point even if some of us are more serious than others. People wonder why the value of the dollars sucks, just keep buying stuff your throw away or use once and don'tthink about it.

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: Practice [Re: Judd] #5966091 10/07/15 06:30 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Judd
For some it has nothing to do with the killing as much as it does the hunt. If the guys that shot 16 boxes had fun then good on them...

I don't buy that, it's a lot more fun to hit what your shooting at. That's like saying you like playing golf and just getting outdoors, you don't care that your ball goes in the ditch on every swing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide