Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
hawk2100, Skey, Knightkingers, LtcEagle, Ajperez
62642 Registered Users
Top Posters
dogcatcher 83211
stxranchman 52092
RWH24 44568
rifleman 44267
BOBO the Clown 42702
bill oxner 40930
BMD 40619
Big Orn 37484
txshntr 34810
sig226fan (Rguns.com) 31412
facebook
Forum Stats
62642 Members
46 Forums
438057 Topics
6033591 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5960302 - 10/04/15 01:27 PM Practice
Stompy Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Registered: 06/13/10
Posts: 4585
Loc: Breckenridge Tx
About 35% of my Dove hunters are pretty decent shots. The other 65% are lucky to average 2-3 birds per box. I've been telling them for years to go shoot at least a couple of rounds of clays before they come, but most never do. I had 2 guys here this weekend that shot 16 boxes of shells and killed 32 birds.
I guess I don't understand why these guys don't seem to want to become better shots.
I was having trouble this year and spent 10 minutes and 1 box of shells with an instructor and he saw my problem right off. I adjusted my shooting with crossing clays and was busting 2 out of 3.
Do yourself a favor guys, if your having trouble, ask for help. It'll make your hunting more enjoyable.


Edited by Stompy (10/04/15 01:28 PM)
_________________________
www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake

Top
#5960335 - 10/04/15 02:01 PM Re: Practice [Re: Stompy]
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker

Registered: 11/06/07
Posts: 4916
Loc: where the birds are
I think some guys just like pulling the trigger on birds but not clays. 16 boxes lol. I take 2 boxes with me. If I can't kill 15 with 50 shots I'm not going to stay out there and just waste them
_________________________
FDWC Calls

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls

Top
#5960359 - 10/04/15 02:15 PM Re: Practice [Re: Stompy]
BradyBuck Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Registered: 10/18/07
Posts: 5522
Loc: Abilene, TX
You'd figure by the time they went through a couple boxes they'd figure it out.

I've shot a limit this year with less than a box and I've also shot a limit with 2+ boxes. I probably average 1.5

My shooting varies day to day. Wind speed and direction are also a big factor.

I don't normally shoot clays before the season but if I was only going to get a hand full of hunts in I would definitely get in a little pre season practice.

Top
#5960371 - 10/04/15 02:24 PM Re: Practice [Re: Stompy]
Fooshman Online   content
THF Celebrity

Registered: 07/26/06
Posts: 13983
Loc: Black Dog, Texas
I've never shot at a clay in my life.
_________________________

Custom Crosses and Plaques

Top
#5960382 - 10/04/15 02:30 PM Re: Practice [Re: Fooshman]
Stompy Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Registered: 06/13/10
Posts: 4585
Loc: Breckenridge Tx
Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I've never shot at a clay in my life.

Well, maybe your a good shot. I'm talking about the guys that struggle.
_________________________
www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake

Top
#5960444 - 10/04/15 03:13 PM Re: Practice [Re: Stompy]
Slimpickin Offline
Tracker

Registered: 12/14/07
Posts: 934
Loc: DFW, Texas
The hardest shot for me is the ones that fly up behind you. By the time you see'um their almost out of range and moving. When I have a quick shot like those, i don't follow through. The few that came across or from the front were not an issue.
_________________________

Top
#5960458 - 10/04/15 03:20 PM Re: Practice [Re: Stompy]
Stompy Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Registered: 06/13/10
Posts: 4585
Loc: Breckenridge Tx
As fast as they were moving yesterday afternoon , everyone struggled with that shot. Chris you're a good shot, you just had a bit of an off day yesterday under tough condition.
_________________________
www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake

Top
#5960520 - 10/04/15 04:12 PM Re: Practice [Re: Stompy]
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity

Registered: 01/17/10
Posts: 16886
Loc: Uranus
Most guys i have seen in the field pick up their guns and move like a pinata way too early, that will make shots 55 yards instead of inside 20. They will shoot and miss, without swinging their guns, thats another thing.
_________________________
www.TexasPondPopperAssociation.com

Top
#5960523 - 10/04/15 04:14 PM Re: Practice [Re: Slimpickin]
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity

Registered: 01/17/10
Posts: 16886
Loc: Uranus
Originally Posted By: Slimpickin
The hardest shot for me is the ones that fly up behind you. By the time you see'um their almost out of range and moving. When I have a quick shot like those, i don't follow through. The few that came across or from the front were not an issue.


The ones passing behind you, let them pass and shoot 1 ft below them. U will hit them.
_________________________
www.TexasPondPopperAssociation.com

Top
#5960551 - 10/04/15 04:29 PM Re: Practice [Re: beaversnipe]
texassippi Offline
Bird Dog

Registered: 08/06/15
Posts: 413
Loc: North Texas
Originally Posted By: beaversnipe
Most guys i have seen in the field pick up their guns and move like a pinata way too early, that will make shots 55 yards instead of inside 20. They will shoot and miss, without swinging their guns, thats another thing.


Yep.

Top
#5960634 - 10/04/15 05:22 PM Re: Practice [Re: Stompy]
Fooshman Online   content
THF Celebrity

Registered: 07/26/06
Posts: 13983
Loc: Black Dog, Texas
I think my worst shot is them scooting away from me at a slight angle and shooting at their butts.
_________________________

Custom Crosses and Plaques

Top
#5960668 - 10/04/15 05:46 PM Re: Practice [Re: Fooshman]
bobcat1 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Registered: 07/22/07
Posts: 2498
Loc: Sanger, Texas
Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I think my worst shot is them scooting away from me at a slight angle and shooting at their butts.
That's a favorite for me. Grew up quail hunting. Coming right at me I hate because the always cut a dido one way or the other and I choose wrong.
_________________________
Bobby Barnett


Top
#5960697 - 10/04/15 06:08 PM Re: Practice [Re: Stompy]
Greekangler Offline
Pro Tracker

Registered: 09/05/04
Posts: 1655
Loc: North Tejas
Originally Posted By: Stompy
About 35% of my Dove hunters are pretty decent shots. The other 65% are lucky to average 2-3 birds per box. I've been telling them for years to go shoot at least a couple of rounds of clays before they come, but most never do. I had 2 guys here this weekend that shot 16 boxes of shells and killed 32 birds.
I guess I don't understand why these guys don't seem to want to become better shots.
I was having trouble this year and spent 10 minutes and 1 box of shells with an instructor and he saw my problem right off. I adjusted my shooting with crossing clays and was busting 2 out of 3.
Do yourself a favor guys, if your having trouble, ask for help. It'll make your hunting more enjoyable.


Practice won't help those numbers. Need instruction. Numbers will go up huge. How many good golfers never take lessons? hammer
_________________________

Take a kid Huntin

Top
#5960702 - 10/04/15 06:11 PM Re: Practice [Re: Fooshman]
Greekangler Offline
Pro Tracker

Registered: 09/05/04
Posts: 1655
Loc: North Tejas
Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I think my worst shot is them scooting away from me at a slight angle and shooting at their butts.


Your heads off gun or not blacking bird out w barrel. Overhead- gotta lead separate and keep moving barrel. Wasn't very good at that shot until started shooting clays
_________________________

Take a kid Huntin

Top
#5960711 - 10/04/15 06:14 PM Re: Practice [Re: Greekangler]
Stompy Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Registered: 06/13/10
Posts: 4585
Loc: Breckenridge Tx
Originally Posted By: Greekangler
Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I think my worst shot is them scooting away from me at a slight angle and shooting at their butts.


Wasn't very good at that shot until started shooting clays


Did you receive instruction?


Edited by Stompy (10/04/15 06:14 PM)
_________________________
www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake

Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >



© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide