Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,030
Posts9,719,601
Members86,989
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
How would you like to get this e-mail................... #5957662 10/02/15 03:48 PM
S
soonersorlaters Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
................the day before bow opener? I received this 15 minutes ago.

Gentlemen

I have received word from our landowner that the construction that I spoke of in an earlier email will indeed be starting. The project is the construction of wind turbines for electric power. As a result we will not be able to hunt this season. I will be refunding your hunting fee in the next week .Please let me know how you would like your fee refunded (cash or check) and where you would like me to send it. I am sorry for this late notice however at this point there is no other option.

We will be hunting next season so you can leave your blinds, feeders and trailers if you want. You will also be placed on a priority list for participation on the lease next year The rancher has indicated that the construction will take seven (7) months. For those of you who are located near where a wind turbine will be placed I strongly suggest that you move your blinds and feeders out of the area. You can store them in the camp area. Wind turbine sites are indicated by a large PVC pipe with a turbine designation written on it.

Please do anything necessary to secure your personal property within the next two weeks – at that time I will change the gate locks and there will be no access to the ranch until further notice. Also no new blinds or feeders will be allowed to be put up.

Once again I am sorry for this unexpected and unforeseen situation and apologize for the late notice.

I am happy to discuss this situation with you personally. Please call with any questions.
[color:#3333FF]
[/color]

Last edited by soonersorlaters; 10/02/15 03:49 PM.
Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: soonersorlaters] #5957667 10/02/15 03:51 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Not much can be said unless you have a lease contract in place stating otherwise. With all that traffic I would not care to hunt anyway.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: soonersorlaters] #5957668 10/02/15 03:52 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Well that sucks.....and to have no access to your equipment until next year seems a little odd.

Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: soonersorlaters] #5957682 10/02/15 03:59 PM
J
jmh004 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Mills County by any chance?

Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: soonersorlaters] #5957691 10/02/15 04:03 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
It certainly sucks, but it is the nature of the best when leasing. At least this individual had the professional courtesy to notify you and as long as you do indeed get all of your money back, then you have been treated fairly. I would move all of my stuff and plan to be on another place next year. I wouldn't hunt this place again for a few years after the local wildlife has had a chance to become accustomed to all the turbines and traffic for maintenance. Same thing happens when a place has a lot of oil field traffic, drilling, new wells, etc... The deer eventually get used to it.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: stxranchman] #5957692 10/02/15 04:05 PM
S
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Not much can be said unless you have a lease contract in place stating otherwise. With all that traffic I would not care to hunt anyway.

If you anticipate 7 month construction time, why not allow hunting season to wrap up (or perhaps thru year end) and start construction early 2016 to minimize your impact to paying hunters. Sounds more reasonable than dropping a last minute surprise. And that construction is only on one end of the property, hardly impacting the entire 7000 acres. No consideration given to the fact that feeders have been filled, pre-season prep work done, etc. Going to make for a long winter.

Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: jmh004] #5957693 10/02/15 04:05 PM
S
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: jmh004
Mills County by any chance?

Erath

Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: soonersorlaters] #5957696 10/02/15 04:07 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
That's sorry, sir.

[Linked Image]
Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: soonersorlaters] #5957708 10/02/15 04:16 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I would find another place to store my blinds/feeders off of this property and as tShawnB stated, find another place to hunt for the next few years as all kinds of traffic will be on and crossing this lease for the next 7 months. So sorry for your season this year.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: soonersorlaters] #5957875 10/02/15 06:40 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Depending on the cover in the area, I wouldn't move off at all for next year. They built on our place two years ago and we had zero problems with deer disruption. It was business as usual even though they pulled out of our place in October. If you have good cover and a good food source the deer will stay. Sucks about the ultra-short notice for this year, though.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: soonersorlaters] #5957883 10/02/15 06:48 PM
R
rytheguy84 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I would still stay, hell gives all your deer another year to grow!!

Last edited by rytheguy84; 10/02/15 06:49 PM.
Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: soonersorlaters] #5957889 10/02/15 06:56 PM
L
lsbrim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
I'd hunt opener!!!!

Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: lsbrim] #5957894 10/02/15 06:59 PM
S
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: lsbrim
I'd hunt opener!!!!

Off limits to hunting as of today so no bueno.

Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: soonersorlaters] #5957917 10/02/15 07:16 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: soonersorlaters

If you anticipate 7 month construction time, why not allow hunting season to wrap up (or perhaps thru year end) and start construction early 2016 to minimize your impact to paying hunters. Sounds more reasonable than dropping a last minute surprise. And that construction is only on one end of the property, hardly impacting the entire 7000 acres. No consideration given to the fact that feeders have been filled, pre-season prep work done, etc. Going to make for a long winter.

Big business is not going to wait or care about the end of hunting season. They have the contract and they are going in there to do their deed. Landowner's can negotiate their own deals with the wind turbine companies or they can negotiate group deals with other landowners. Landowner is going to be compensated no matter what and waiting until hunting season is over could negate the deal. I am sure landowner is making more from the wind turbines than he is the hunting. Not right, no fun, and not fair, but that is the
way it is.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: soonersorlaters] #5957919 10/02/15 07:19 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M

If you anticipate 7 month construction time, why not allow hunting season to wrap up (or perhaps thru year end) and start construction early 2016 to minimize your impact to paying hunters. Sounds more reasonable than dropping a last minute surprise.

Haha....."hold off on starting a multi-million dollar project that will put big $$$$ in my pocket so my hunters can hunt this season." Yeah, that sounds reasonable!

Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: soonersorlaters] #5957933 10/02/15 07:37 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
In our part of Mills County they started in the spring and the head honcho told us their goal was to be done by hunting season. I don't know if it was pitched that way to all the landowners up front, but that's how it worked out.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: soonersorlaters] #5957936 10/02/15 07:39 PM
L
lsbrim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
I'd hunt opener!!!!

I guess I must've misread.....did he say to move your stuff/secure your stuff, but not one has access as of today because he's changing the locks? I'd go out tonight....hunt tomorrow and secure my stuff as email stated. Then decide what your next move is. Maybe put a little meat in the freezer while your doing it.

By the way.......you're getting hosed!!!!!!

Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: MarkE] #5957947 10/02/15 07:47 PM
S
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: MarkE

If you anticipate 7 month construction time, why not allow hunting season to wrap up (or perhaps thru year end) and start construction early 2016 to minimize your impact to paying hunters. Sounds more reasonable than dropping a last minute surprise.

Haha....."hold off on starting a multi-million dollar project that will put big $$$$ in my pocket so my hunters can hunt this season." Yeah, that sounds reasonable!

Not my point or suggestion at all .

My point was more aligned towards the "suddenness" / "timeliness" of the notification. The e-mail a month ago stated a few hunters on the southeastern section may be displaced (zero impact to my stand placements)due to the location of construction site. I don't begrudge the landowner for putting his livelihood ahead of the hunting lease, nor suggest that he should lose any money on my account. It seems as though a better middle ground could have been found. Would allowing bow hunting only in the unaffected part of the ranch sound like an unreasonable request / accommodation? You get your turbine money and some additional revenue from hunters with no impact to the project.

Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: lsbrim] #5957953 10/02/15 07:49 PM
S
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
I'd hunt opener!!!!

I guess I must've misread.....did he say to move your stuff/secure your stuff, but not one has access as of today because he's changing the locks? I'd go out tonight....hunt tomorrow and secure my stuff as email stated. Then decide what your next move is. Maybe put a little meat in the freezer while your doing it.

By the way.......you're getting hosed!!!!!!

Hunting off limits as of today- The e-mail came today presumably because bow opener is tomorrow. We have 2 weeks to secure / remove what we want and it will be closed down after that. I presume if I find something last minute, I could arrange a day to go down and get what I need if another place is located to get me through this season. Already have one lead, within 10 miles of where we're at. Fingers crossed.

Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: soonersorlaters] #5957964 10/02/15 07:56 PM
L
lsbrim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
Good luck! I hope the new place works out for you!

Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: soonersorlaters] #5958113 10/02/15 10:10 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S

My point was more aligned towards the "suddenness" / "timeliness" of the notification. The e-mail a month ago stated a few hunters on the southeastern section may be displaced (zero impact to my stand placements)due to the location of construction site. I don't begrudge the landowner for putting his livelihood ahead of the hunting lease, nor suggest that he should lose any money on my account. It seems as though a better middle ground could have been found. Would allowing bow hunting only in the unaffected part of the ranch sound like an unreasonable request / accommodation? You get your turbine money and some additional revenue from hunters with no impact to the project.

My guess is that the Wind Turbine company has ran into issues in the past when doing construction during hunting season. They probably compensated the LO to not have any hunters on so that they could do construction without fear of hunters getting PO'd due to all the new activity. I seen many a group of hunters leave leases in the EagleFord Shale when all the activities with drilling started. It was traffic everywhere, every hour of the day. Lot of complaints by hunters but with huge amounts of money at stake and time frames short, hunters will loose every time.
It is a bad deal for you but it could be worse. You could be allowed to hunt and not see much for deer at all and then be out of all the lease money.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: soonersorlaters] #5958124 10/02/15 10:18 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Agree with STX, at least they afforde you your money back, they could have been greedy. I think STX is also right, on the big bidness not wanting the complications, or mainly the LIABILITY as well.

Timing sure sucks though, since you know this deal has been on the burner for a spell.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: stxranchman] #5958252 10/03/15 12:42 AM
S
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S

My guess is that the Wind Turbine company has ran into issues in the past when doing construction during hunting season. They probably compensated the LO to not have any hunters on so that they could do construction without fear of hunters getting PO'd due to all the new activity. I seen many a group of hunters leave leases in the EagleFord Shale when all the activities with drilling started. It was traffic everywhere, every hour of the day. Lot of complaints by hunters but with huge amounts of money at stake and time frames short, hunters will loose every time.
It is a bad deal for you but it could be worse. You could be allowed to hunt and not see much for deer at all and then be out of all the lease money.

Honestly, 90% of why I get on this lease is not to kill deer, although there are good numbers. It's more of a place to get away and recharge my batteries from the metro mess. I get more out of hanging around a camp fire, cookouts, drinking beer and watching some football than the actual experience of killing a deer. I watch a lot more than I ever shoot. My best day is just cruising around on the ATV's, checking on stuff and general piddling around. There is no nap like a mid-day nap in a blind, just listening to nature do its thing on a cool fall / winter day.

Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: soonersorlaters] #5958442 10/03/15 02:44 AM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Hate to bear the bad news but i imagine the new turbine money will make it hard to please the landowner as a hunter. I would expect to move on. Sucks for sure.

Re: How would you like to get this e-mail................... [Re: Leonardo] #5958446 10/03/15 02:47 AM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Leonardo
Hate to bear the bad news but i imagine the new turbine money will make it hard to please the landowner as a hunter. I would expect to move on. Sucks for sure.

It doesn't happen often, but sometimes a land owner isn't too interested in the hunter's money as much as he wants his herd managed correctly. Seems to be the case for us so far on our new place and time will tell. With 300+ gas wells and 2000 head of sheep on his property it's hard to imagine him short on money or our $20K making much of a difference 2cents

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide