Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tower of Death [Re: MartyN] #5959954 10/04/15 01:29 PM
L
lthomas132 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: MartyN
Hey guys, I joined a new lease last year and put my 4x6 blind on a 16' tower that was available on the property. Love the view, but coming up on birthday 55 and feeling like I need to come up with some sort of safety harness. The ladder is vertical, and I usually have a backpack and my rifle slung over my shoulder (unloaded). When I get to the blind I have to hang on with my left hand while I reach up to open the door with my right, then duck as the door swings open. Not a good situation. Also, that first backwards step out of the blind to come down is not ideal.

I know there are safety harnesses for tree stands. Would one of those work? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

When I had a 20' tower stand with a vertical ladder, I used a safety harness connected to a smooth, thick rope with a Prussic Knot tied to it with a carabiner on the end to connect to the harness. I used an old gun scabbard with the barrel facing down tied to another rope to pull my rifle up. The prussic know will slip going up but grab if pulled down (a fall). It saved my [censored] one evening when my foot slipped off the ladder rung.
http://www.ezyclimb.com/guardian.shtml

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.
Re: Tower of Death [Re: MartyN] #5960060 10/04/15 02:54 PM
Deep Sea Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Everyone thinks about the harness, but rarely thinks about what happens after you fall in your harness. A person who falls and is saved by their harness is still at risk. Suspension trauma can kill you too. We have to have a plan to get out of our harness and our precarious situation after falling. Some harness's will have leg loops that you can drop down and stand up in after falling. Try to fashion your fall arresting equipment so that it keeps you in reach of your ladder.

Scott Eastty
AW Scott Construction Company
Bastrop, TX
512-845-0187
For all your metal building needs, state wide.
www.acscott.com
Re: Tower of Death [Re: JDPoulsen] #5961993 10/05/15 05:21 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: JDPoulsen
I second the safety harness idea. The Tower of Death reminded me of my father in laws Deer Stand he hunted out of over 30 years ago. It was over twenty feet off the ground in a Power Line Tower. My father in law would climb up on bolts staggered up one corner and when he got up as high as the stand, he had to walk across the length of one side to get into the stand. He did not use a rope to get his rifle up there. He held it in one hand and climbed up. He hunted for years out of this stand even climbing it when it was glazed over with ice. He killed some good bucks out of the stand. The Power Company would take it down and he would get his ropes and pulley and put it back up. We finally convinced him to quit hunting out of it.

Please don't tell me he was one of those fellows who liked to have a bottle of hooch to nip on to ward away the cold!! roflmao

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Tower of Death [Re: titan2232] #5962000 10/05/15 05:24 PM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: titan2232
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Hunting high (in the air) is different for sure. When I was 6 yrs old I think (5 or 6), I followed my Dad up a 25' tower blind on a fence line in S Texas (vertical ladder). I was a climber, so he trusted me I guess. Made it to the top but ain't gonna lie I was a little scared when I looked down. Dad said don't look down & opened the door, put 25-06 & Thermos inside, told me to hold on tight son as he climbed in then reached his big arm down and pulled me in. First thing I noticed were the yellow jacket nests and before I could even finish my sentence Dad told me to calm down, be quiet, he's got a knife it's gonna be OK (was a little cold out). Took him about 5 minutes to cut all of the half comatose yellow jackets in half and then he poured me a cup of hot chocolate from his Thermos and told me not to touch them because they can still sting you. Also toted my BB gun up and my job was to shoot the cows in the butt if they got too close to the blind. Cows rubbing on tower blind was kinda scary LOL. Right before dark Dad said there's a good buck, he just stuck his neck out of the brush. He's a good ways out there, be quiet and don't move. Set binoculars down grabbed rifle and BAM. I got him son, gonna wait a few minutes. I'm going down first and then you step down. Don't worry, I've got you. I was so excited I can hardly remember getting down. That was my first experience in a tower blind and something I will never forget. Miss you Dad.

Thanks for sharing. Good story up

You lost of bunch of people when you mentioned the yellow jackets.... bolt

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide