Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Cattleman] #5955229 10/01/15 12:43 AM
10ring Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R.T. Hare from springfield armory had documented hits and was accurate on a 6' target with a 45-70 at over 2 miles and was at the time the only known rifleman to make hits out to 3200 yards in testing with 3 different rifles, this was way back in 1879 during army trials at the beach in Sandy Hook. Not to say what the guys at Hill County did wasn't awesome but a World record shot?? Ok we'll give em that...

Re: Texan sets new record [Re: fast88] #5955233 10/01/15 12:47 AM
R
Rockfish Dave Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
7.1% hit probability is a waste of time and resources in my opinion. And if you had bothered to ask rather than assume, as your post implies, yes I enjoy shooting long range.

Just because I don't comment much on the subject does not mean I am less than proficient. I hold my tongue when forum "experts" cross into the BS zone to be polite...

Shooting sub MOA at 100 yards is easy provided your equipment or ammo is not defective. Every barrel I have easily shoots sub MOA with the exception of a 308WIN barrel chambered by Thoroughbred Rifles (Dale Trout) that one is a POS.

Originally Posted By: fast88
Originally Posted By: Rockfish Dave
Sorry to be a party pooper, but if you send enough "lead" down range, you are bound to get a hit eventually.

For me, I prefer to spend my time, effort, and money training on making shots that I have a high percentage of first or second round hits... Shooting at something until I eventually connect seems like a waste of resources to me, but that is just me.

Long range shooting isnt for everyone. To hit a 36 in plate at 3800 yards requires a lot of things to line up correctly. Most people cant shoot sub moa at 100 yards....he did it at 38x that distance. Pretty big accomplishment imo

Last edited by Rockfish Dave; 10/01/15 01:05 AM.
Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Rockfish Dave] #5955296 10/01/15 01:25 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'm sure glad the U.S. Airforce, followed by NASA, didn't feel their rocket experiments were a waste of time. And God bless the men that gave their lives in those experiments. All of us have benefited from their sacrifices, and do on a daily basis, with all of the sattelites orbiting the globe.

Experiments like this, pushing the supposed limit farther helps the entire rifle community. I have a Kestrel weather meter with Applied Ballistics. It will give me every environmental condition to my location and adjust my elevation and windage corrections, to compensate for that environment, anywhere on the planet I am standing. I test the accuracy of this instrument weekly. Instruments like that are born of experimentation like this.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Texan sets new record [Re: J.G.] #5955307 10/01/15 01:34 AM
R
Rockfish Dave Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Although you did not quote my post, I am going to guess that it was directed at me.

I guess a 7% hit probability is good enough for you. Me? Not so much..

I never questioned the technology, this has truly been the golden age of precision shooting, but guessing the winds over a 2+ mile distance is an exercise in futility.

Yes we can get into a pissing contest on the latest and greatest in shooting aids, but that would prove nothing. I am glad you have a Kestrel, and honestly anyone into ELR pretty much has been using them or some other sort of weather station plus a ballistic calculator for years. Welcome to the club, better late than never.

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
I'm sure glad the U.S. Airforce, followed by NASA, didn't feel their rocket experiments were a waste of time. And God bless the men that gave their lives in those experiments. All of us have benefited from their sacrifices, and do on a daily basis, with all of the sattelites orbiting the globe.

Experiments like this, pushing the supposed limit farther helps the entire rifle community. I have a Kestrel weather meter with Applied Ballistics. It will give me every environmental condition to my location and adjust my elevation and windage corrections, to compensate for that environment, anywhere on the planet I am standing. I test the accuracy of this instrument weekly. Instruments like that are born of experimentation like this.

Last edited by Rockfish Dave; 10/01/15 01:37 AM.
Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Cattleman] #5955314 10/01/15 01:37 AM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I support all tech however, I think of long range shooting 1000+ as an art form. Give me the muzzel fps and bullet weight and BC I will do the rest without a calculator. When working on loads I use the tech. when shooting for fun I dont even bring a wind meter. Just think it makes it more interesting for experts.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Rockfish Dave] #5955338 10/01/15 01:53 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
"Better late than never." That's a good one, like I just figured that out yesterday. grin

I don't even use it as a wind meter. It tells the wind where I am, not down range at the target. The eyes tell what the wind is doing down there.

It wasn't even my project and I am defending it. Why? Maybe trying to open a mind that is closed like a steel foot trap.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Texan sets new record [Re: J.G.] #5955558 10/01/15 04:10 AM
R
Rockfish Dave Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Well since your DA estimates are so off (from previous posts) maybe you should use it more (or some other weather station).

If this was directed at me (RE:Maybe trying to open a mind that is closed like a steel foot trap.) You have no clue what you are talking about.

Reading your posts, I find you barely catching up to the curve, and often speaking of things that you seem (in your writing) to barely have a grasp of (if at all). I have been tempted correct you on more than one occasion but resist. Why? Because I can tell that you are thin skinned and will most likely become defensive rather taking it in a constructive manner. Then there are the people that have given you money for said advice that are inevitably going to leap in because they will be compelled to defend your creds to feel like they were not duped into paying for your "courses". And before the S-storm hits, can you teach someone to shoot better, I'm sure you can, but by no stretch are you the expert that you purport yourself to be.

"Better late than never." That's a good one, like I just figured that out yesterday. grin

I don't even use it as a wind meter. It tells the wind where I am, not down range at the target. The eyes tell what the wind is doing down there.

It wasn't even my project and I am defending it. Why? Maybe trying to open a mind that is closed like a steel foot trap.

Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Rockfish Dave] #5955594 10/01/15 04:48 AM
B
BushFamilyNine Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Cattleman] #5955638 10/01/15 10:05 AM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Well, here comes one ot the 'inevitable leap ins'...RD, as a total amateur and 'hobbyist' (I Don't hunt with a rifle), I took JG's course and found him to be the expert for what I needed. I cannot speak of him being the level of expert that you seem to be talking about as I am not one and therefore am not qualified to judge. You say you have been tempted to correct him....since I read this site for learning as well as enjoyment I would think correcting someone would be beneficial for many of us. However, you have not, you have only called him out without giving the readers here some idea of what makes you qualified to judge....please enlighten us.
P_102

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Rockfish Dave] #5955688 10/01/15 11:36 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
As Chris said, please enlighten us.

And please tell me how I am cheating people of their time abd money. Tell me why those bullets went exactly where they were supposed to go, even thought I don't know anything, and barely have a grasp. I want to get better at this and clearly you are the answer.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Texan sets new record [Re: J.G.] #5955735 10/01/15 12:28 PM
R
Rockfish Dave Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I'm not selling/shilling so I have nothing to prove.

You on the other hand are. I believe you owe it to those whose money you have taken to list your qualifications.

Are you or have you ever been a certified instructor with any reputable outfit? What courses have you done as a part of your continuing education? What work experience do you have with a precision rifle?

The most rudimentary part of shooting is the fundamentals. The fundamentals are vital for shooting or "driving" (as you are so fond of saying in your tacti-cool way) a rifle. This is the easiest part of teaching. Saying you can get someone on steel at known distances, with proven dope is really nothing to beat your chest over. As shooters learn and develop they will make their own opinion, but I recon they will come to a similar conclusion that you are a shill that poses as an expert.

Last edited by Rockfish Dave; 10/01/15 12:41 PM.
Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Cattleman] #5955756 10/01/15 12:44 PM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
RD, the qualification question was posed to you since you found in necessary to 'call out' JG. As far as I'm concerned and from my experience with shooting with JG, taking his course and reading his posts, he is far more qualified than someone coming on here and making statements like yours with nothing to back it up. It seems to me that someone has a case of the 'red a$$' about another person using his knowledge to help others and help pay for his place in the country at the same time...frankly, I applaud that in a person. P_102

Last edited by P_102; 10/01/15 12:47 PM.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Cattleman] #5955760 10/01/15 12:46 PM
D
Dave3575 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
"Texan breaks the world record for longest shot at 3800 yards read more at...."

I struggle with this article a bit. First off I know a few guys that have beat 3800, but in fairness there was no certified body there to record the event but I don't see that on this article/event either so I would not agree this guy broke the world record?

ELR type shooting is a different game, I agree that if you throw enough lead at a target once you are reasonably doped in, you will hit that target eventually which is why I think that ELR records, when officially recorded, need to be within "X" hits - say 5, 7, 10 whatever and then repeated in a 2nd string of attempts in the same or less # of alloted shots. This guy did it in 14 rounds, once, and that is still very impressive but I would be hard pressed to use the words world-record when putting a label on it.

ELR is not about knowing your environmentals, dope and sending a shot like it is at 300, 500, 1200 yards. It's now about having to read wind columns, sometimes 2, 3 or more... plus knowing the impact of the terrain and wind turbulence as a result of that terrain, knowing the impact of your speed and bullet mass mass and variable BC's during that flight time, planning for the subsonic transition, and and and...

good shot, talented folks, world-record? depends on what standards you measure with.

Last edited by Dave3575; 10/01/15 01:33 PM.
Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Cattleman] #5955868 10/01/15 01:56 PM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Come on Rockfish Dave, I think we all benefit from constructive criticism but your input seemed to veer into disparagement. You seem very knowledgeable and accomplished and encourage you to weigh in more often but in a more positive approach.

JG does not need me to defend him and I agree with P_102's input. What I will say is that JG has introduced a large number of us into the long range rifle sport and has helped us with ftf instruction, range time, competitions that brought many of us together PLUS he provides many of us a great deal of input and advice via PM, email, texts and phone calls. He, Chad and several others have been a great resource to many of us and helped the overall sport via introducing so many noobs to this long range game.

Please think about and it and consider joining in constructively and we'll all benefit.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Cattleman] #5956235 10/01/15 06:11 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
JG has been kind enough on more than one occasion to try and help me with my questions since I am a new shooter. He has written out several paragraphs to be helpful and constructive to not only me but others. More than a few times I might add. He is a constructive and very helpful member on this forum no matter what his credentials are. So I hate to say what your rant makes you look like. But after reading this I think everybody will have a negative opinion of you.

Hey Chad your right he could only he hit that plate at 1000 yards with his pistol standing with no support. Terrible shot!!! LOL

GO TRUMP!
Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Bigfoot] #5956331 10/01/15 07:07 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
[quote=Bigfoot]JG has been kind enough on more than one occasion to try and help me with my questions since I am a new shooter. He has written out several paragraphs to be helpful and constructive to not only me but others. More than a few times I might add. He is a constructive and very helpful member on this forum no matter what his credentials are. So I hate to say what your rant makes you look like. But after reading this I think everybody will have a negative opinion of you.

Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Rockfish Dave] #5956400 10/01/15 07:37 PM
68A Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Well since your DA estimates are so off (from previous posts) maybe you should use it more (or some other weather station).

If this was directed at me (RE:Maybe trying to open a mind that is closed like a steel foot trap.) You have no clue what you are talking about.

Reading your posts, I find you barely catching up to the curve, and often speaking of things that you seem (in your writing) to barely have a grasp of (if at all). I have been tempted correct you on more than one occasion but resist. Why? Because I can tell that you are thin skinned and will most likely become defensive rather taking it in a constructive manner. Then there are the people that have given you money for said advice that are inevitably going to leap in because they will be compelled to defend your creds to feel like they were not duped into paying for your "courses". And before the S-storm hits, can you teach someone to shoot better, I'm sure you can, but by no stretch are you the expert that you purport yourself to be.

I was "duped" into paying for his course and dang glad I was. Hitting 800 yd targets within 30 min of shooting was nothing short of extraordinary for me having never shot past 1/4 that distance. Im sure JG can attest to how excited I was about it. I'd say he is fully qualified to give his input on the situation, especially after watching him shoot. Maybe youll be at the next match and you can show us how a real professional does it?

As far as thin skin, I'd say you might ought to look in the mirror.

Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Cattleman] #5956626 10/01/15 09:47 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Texans have long been known as outstanding shooters.

If you are not up to date on this important aspect of Texas history, this brief documentary will set you straight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOdEKMmxyWg

Last edited by charlesb; 10/01/15 09:53 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Rockfish Dave] #5956694 10/01/15 11:00 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

Sorry, man but they worship the ground jg walks on around here. Your words will fall on deaf ears.

Re: Texan sets new record [Re: 68A] #5956758 10/01/15 11:57 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: 68A

As far as thin skin, I'd say you might ought to look in the mirror.

If his skin was any thinner, and he'd have a reservoir tip on top of his head.

(Famous Dennis Miller quote about Obama.)

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Cattleman] #5956808 10/02/15 12:29 AM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I wouldn't say "worship" troll

Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Buzzsaw] #5956825 10/02/15 12:44 AM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

I forgot, I'm a troll. I dared to disagree with the great one.

Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Rockfish Dave] #5956945 10/02/15 02:00 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
How'd the bash session work out today, Dave?

Sorry I've been on the range all day wasting someone else's time and money. Even though he left extremely happy, satisfied that he learned what he wanted to learn and more.

I hold a certification from the Texas Commision on Fire Protection as an "Instructor Intermediate". That is a course that is five, eight hour days. NRA Rifle Instructor is one eight hour day. Add to that hundreds of fire recruits educated for 11 years, and now probably more than one hundred shooters educated. Are those credentials good enough for you?

My CE happens on a weekly basis. I make cold bore shots 500 yards, and beyond, two to three days a week. I shoot prairie dogs every year in the panhandle wind, and the farthest confirmed hit ti date has been 710 yards. I shoot P.R.S matches and have since the inception of the P.R.S. Those matches have significantly challenged Army Snipers as well as some of the best and experienced riflemen I have ever seen. They are where I go to learn and improve.

Fundamentals escape more people than not. In fact, the older the client is the more bad habits I have to correct. Shooting known distance is always the shot. When I don't know the distance I push a button on a laser range finder. They have been around for a very long time, you should look into them. Once you push the button the once unknown distance becomes known. I also know how to range with the reticle. 100% of the guys that show up have zero DOPE before they arrived. Most have never shot past 300 yards, some not beyond 200 yards. They get DOPE the day they spend on the range.

I teach not only fundamentals but how ballistic calculators work, how that translates to the scope/ shot, and how to analyze problems and correct them. How to read wind, and how to correct for it. How to use previous information for the next shot. How to analyze mirage, terrain, and wind indicators without the use of wind flags since I do not have any on my range. The goal is to get shooters to witness their own impact, or more importantly, their miss and make a proper correction quickly. Then I want them to be able to depart from me, go out in the world, practice, and know how to reproduce the distant shots on any other cartridge and bullet they choose in the future.

It looks as if several good men that have spent a day with me have come to my defense. THANK YOU ALL!

So, Dave, all you have really accomplished is to push everyone away from you in an attempt to belittle me for no good reason.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Texan sets new record [Re: bo3] #5956948 10/02/15 02:02 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: bo323
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

I forgot, I'm a troll. I dared to disagree with the great one.

It's looking like you are. I am in no way great. If you are butt hurt my me having helped many people around here, mostly of no benefit to myself. Then you can step up and provide the help they need, and stay vigilant answering the PMs that show up in your inbox.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Texan sets new record [Re: Cattleman] #5956977 10/02/15 02:18 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I hunted with a guy once that claimed he shot a 6 point running at 1100 yards and he did it with a 6mm Ruger M77. He claimed he had a witness but I never got the witnesses name. If he really did it I would call that a world record.

I have nothing usefull to offer on this thread. grin

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide