6237590 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5952723 - 09/29/15 01:46 PM well no more
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Duck blind
Ghg decoys for me. I bought a few dozen last year, out of the box already had chipped paint. Spent a lot on a box of fully flocked greater Canada full bodies, out of the box one head was broken and none of the stupid twist on spring loaded crappy feet stands attached right. Several emails, photos and receipts sent and for months I haven't been able to get anything done about it. The last response I got was, "we will look into it and see what we can do" They used to make good decoys, my 8-9 year old decoys look better and have more paint than the new ones. So if you're planning on getting new decoys, I suggest not going with ghg.

Edited by Erichugh22 (09/29/15 01:46 PM)

#5952732 - 09/29/15 01:51 PM Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22]
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Abilene, TX
I purchased some GHG canvasback decoys that also had some paint chips out of the box.

I bought some Avian X pintails before last season and was very pleased.

They now offer a variety of species. Thinking of purchasing some wigeon as well. I'll probably stick with them from now on.

32 - BWT
11 - GWT
2 - Black Bellied Whistlers
10 - Gaddies
1 - Mallard
1 - Pintail

#5952743 - 09/29/15 01:58 PM Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22]
LarryCopper Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The Great State
I guess their quality has gone down hill. I've heard that a lot recently, but I've got some 5+ year old ones that still look good. I don't take it easy on 'em either.

"The greatest thing in the world is for a man to take his son hunting, because he won't ever have to hunt the streets for him tomorrow."
- Cowboy Fernandez

#5952747 - 09/29/15 02:01 PM Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22]
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Yep I have a box of avian x I bought when they first came out, still look really good after a few rough seasons and no leaks

#5952751 - 09/29/15 02:02 PM Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22]
wal1809 Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Texas
I am changing everything over to G and H. I had some paint problems on a dozen. Duck told me to send them back and they replaced them immediately. It is nice talking to the man that owns a place and he taking care of his customers. Old School business, take care of the problem.

www.wanoscustomcalls.com

Ruffling Feathers Guide Service

UTHFDHGTG Port O'Conner, Texas Dec. 9 Hunt 10,11
lodging 361 983 4371

#5952767 - 09/29/15 02:13 PM Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22]
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog

I quit buying that chinese junk two years ago.

I beat the heck out of my stuff and the GHG just cannot hang. Paint PEELS, leaks at seams and keels.

My 20 year old water keel flambeaus are tougher. Have been pleased with G&H. They will also soak up steel pellets better without sinking. My son has been known to water swat a decoy

Edited by Elpatoloco (09/29/15 02:24 PM)

#5952814 - 09/29/15 02:40 PM Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22]
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker

I Use GHG decoys and don't have any issues. Some of the best looking decoys on the market. I hunt 3-4 days a week every week of the season, and I use GHG decoys on every hunt. I am not unnecessarily rough on my decoys, but I definitely don't baby them, either.

The GHG paint problem is largely exaggerated, IMO. I think it's a classic case of a few people having a problem, and a bunch of guys on the various forums jumping on board and complaining with no real first hand experience.

I currently own around 14 dozen GHG decoys, ranging in age from probably 8 years to brand new, and the paint is holding up just fine. Do I have a few that have lost some Pain? Sure, but you can only drag your decoys out of the bed of your truck and throw them back in so many times before they start to wear.

#5952817 - 09/29/15 02:41 PM Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22]
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity

GHG sucks, last good decoys they made were at least 8 years ago...get some G&H and never look back, last a lifetime up

#5952827 - 09/29/15 02:44 PM Re: well no more [Re: wal1809]
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: wal1809
I am changing everything over to G and H. I had some paint problems on a dozen. Duck told me to send them back and they replaced them immediately. It is nice talking to the man that owns a place and he taking care of his customers. Old School business, take care of the problem.

G&H offers top notch customer service and paint adhesion for sure, and it is great that they are made in the USA. I just can't get over how unrealistic they look. They look like a cartoon, nothing like a real duck. For the price, I would expect to see more realistic molds and paint.

#5952832 - 09/29/15 02:47 PM Re: well no more [Re: TTUhunter4]
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
I Use GHG decoys and don't have any issues. Some of the best looking decoys on the market. I hunt 3-4 days a week every week of the season, and I use GHG decoys on every hunt. I am not unnecessarily rough on my decoys, but I definitely don't baby them, either.

The GHG paint problem is largely exaggerated, IMO. I think it's a classic case of a few people having a problem, and a bunch of guys on the various forums jumping on board and complaining with no real first hand experience.

I currently own around 14 dozen GHG decoys, ranging in age from probably 8 years to brand new, and the paint is holding up just fine. Do I have a few that have lost some Pain? Sure, but you can only drag your decoys out of the bed of your truck and throw them back in so many times before they start to wear.

I'm super careful with my decoys, and every single one was missing paint out of the box. Pintails, mallards, bwt, gwt, wigeon and gadwalls. Now after a few hunts, they look terrible. That's unacceptable for the price. It's not exaggerated. Maybe I got a bad batch, which is why I'm trying to contact them to get replacements, but they are not cooperating like they should be.

#5952837 - 09/29/15 02:50 PM Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22]
texassippi Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: North Texas
Originally Posted By: Erichugh22

I'm super careful with my decoys, and every single one was missing paint out of the box. Pintails, mallards, bwt, gwt, wigeon and gadwalls. Now after a few hunts, they look terrible. That's unacceptable for the price. It's not exaggerated. Maybe I got a bad batch, which is why I'm trying to contact them to get replacements, but they are not cooperating like they should be.

I wouldn't say you got a bad batch. I bought 3 dozen last year and every single deke has chips. Some are small and minor while others are so bad I won't use them. Pretty disappointing.

#5952851 - 09/29/15 02:55 PM Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22]
LarryCopper Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The Great State
I have G&H, too. As my other die off I'll keep replacing with them, but I'm not going to replace anything until it won't work.

Too much emphasis is put on what dekes look like. Where you put them and how you hide has way more to do with killing dux. Get the ones that will last forever.

"The greatest thing in the world is for a man to take his son hunting, because he won't ever have to hunt the streets for him tomorrow."
- Cowboy Fernandez

#5952853 - 09/29/15 02:56 PM Re: well no more [Re: TTUhunter4]
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog

The last 3 batches I purchased had paint falling off of them in their individual bags before I opened them. Everything out where I live is mail order or drive 2 1/2 hours. I just kept and hunted them.

I seriously doubt that I am unlucky enough to get 3 in a row of "bad batches".

"Hot Buy" mallards were the worst decoy I've ever purchased as far as paint retention.

Cartoon Looking? They work....but Id imagine my paint chipped junk decoys would as well. I just don't like looking at them.

Buy what ya like. Avery/Ghg will never get another red cent of mine

#5952854 - 09/29/15 02:57 PM Re: well no more [Re: Erichugh22]
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker

Erichugh, I wasn't trying to say you were exaggerating. I apologize if it came across that way. I was saying that I think the issue as a whole is exaggerated. If the paint is chipped out of the box, that is unacceptable and I hope they take care of it for you.

I can only speak to my personal experience with the decoys, and I have had good experiences with them. I cannot speak to the customer service of GHG, as I have never contacted them.

#5952869 - 09/29/15 03:01 PM Re: well no more [Re: LarryCopper]
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper
I have G&H, too. As my other die off I'll keep replacing with them, but I'm not going to replace anything until it won't work.

Too much emphasis is put on what dekes look like. Where you put them and how you hide has way more to do with killing dux. Get the ones that will last forever.

This is true, obviously. Having realistic decoys isn't the most important factor in having a successful hunt, we all know being where the ducks want to be is more important than anything else. Thank you for clearing that up for anyone reading this thread who is new to duck hunting. Having realistic looking decoys sure doesn't hurt, though.

I find it funny that G&H fans accept the fact that their decoys look like a joke right out of the box, but can't stand if a little paint chips off another brand haha.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide