Forum Stats
60412 Members
45 Forums
475577 Topics
6238748 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5952349 - 09/29/15 10:31 AM Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry.
Matt Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: The Colony
Let me begin with I own 50 wooded bottom acres in Red River county. My tractor had stayed, and still stays broken down and thus the brush has gone CRAZY!!! Because of all the brush, I had a hard time setting up any wide open views. So last year I decided to go simple. I set up a ground blind on the road through the property. Here's the blind I made.

I had it over looking a one acre clearing that the road runs through. Here's the view from the blind.

The feeder is 105 yards down the road and I saw deer EVERY TIME I sat here. The problem was they were all doe and spikes. It was like I found the nursery for yearling deer. This year I have three doe and one little spike on camera at the feeder twice a day. I have seen them there every time I go to the place. So, I know these deer are there. Fun to look at...but nothing really to shoot.
Now, this last weekend I get a call from one of my neighbors who knew that I was having trouble with the brush explosion. He told me that he was doing some work near the place and he could help clear some of the thick stuff and could open up a nice clearing for me. I have been wanting to get this done for a while, but money, equipment failure, life, etc. got in the way and it just never happened. Well, here was the chance and I wasn't going to miss it. I told him to go ahead. He was clearing an overgrown clearcut that was around the corner from where I'm set up now. I haven't been out there yet to see exactly how it looks, but he did send this pic.

I might be wearing rose colored glasses, but I see this as beautiful!! This leads me to my question. With this newly cleared field, should I move my feeder and blind to this new field in hopes of seeing fresh deer? Or, is it too close to the season, and I should leave everything alone and hope that the little pet deer, that come twice a day, draw something of size in?
I know it's impossible to answer definitively. I'm just looking for opinions.
Thanks!!
Matt

#5952363 - 09/29/15 10:36 AM Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt]
Kenny Powers Offline
Tracker

Loc: De-Kalb Sulphur River
Looks good i wouldnt move it now.Just observe and hang a stand near where deer are using later.

Edited by Kenny Powers (09/29/15 10:36 AM)

Guns dont kill people.....bullets do.

#5952401 - 09/29/15 10:50 AM Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I would leave things as they are. I would hand corn this area every time I go out and then throw out some ryegrass/clover/etc in that area as an attractant. IME deer will check out the freshly disturbed area no matter what you do there. Deer are edge feeders, you just created some edge. cheers

#5952435 - 09/29/15 11:05 AM Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Agree with the fellas and I would put a stand or 2 on the cleared field, even if you have to use old wood pallets as a ground blind. You could make a ground blind on the North and South side so you have options depending on wind.

You may even be able to throw out a bag or 2 of whole oats and wheat, and hand rake it in the debri, $20 and it may get you something to grow.

Whats wrong with your tractor?

Edited by Western (09/29/15 11:05 AM)

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5952440 - 09/29/15 11:10 AM Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt]
rickym Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: texas
I wouldn't move, maybe set up a pop up the next time you go. Or maybe a tree stand

#5952532 - 09/29/15 12:03 PM Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt]
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Dollas,Taxes Bluff Dale Tx
You definitely need to be hunting the new field, especially during the rut. You can see much better now. Throw out rye grass seed all over the fresh dirt. After the rut is over, you might want to hunt back at the other stand. Tripod on the edge of the field could be very productive.

#5952606 - 09/29/15 12:37 PM Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt]
BowMan59 Offline
Bird Dog

Id get a pop up and another feeder and set it up for opposite wind direction and have two areas!

Lone Star Trophy Ranch Comstock TX.
Where Dreams become Memories!
830-719-2469

#5952623 - 09/29/15 12:50 PM Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt]
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: DFW
I agree with the others. I definitely would not move the stand. I definitely WOULD set up some type of stand. It doesn't need to be expensive. I like the idea of using pallets to create a blind. Then I would set up a chair. I also would buy some oats and rye grass and throw it out and like western said use a rake to smooth it out so it has a better chance germinating.

GOOD LUCK!

#5952685 - 09/29/15 01:19 PM Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt]
BigPig Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
Feeder and a pop up. See how it goes and reevaluate next year

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#5952764 - 09/29/15 02:11 PM Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt]
Matt Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: The Colony
Guys,
Thanks for all the input. I don't see how I can't hunt it.
Western,
It's a 20hp Chinese tractor. Last year the fuel system went. I repaired that and went to mow this year and it started overheating and what was a minor oil leak turned into an oil flood. I'll have the radiator cored this winter and I'll have to split the tractor to fix the oil leak. That's going to take a weekend.
Thanks!!!
Matt

#5952816 - 09/29/15 02:41 PM Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Sounds like a major leak! going to be a job splitting that bad boy, even if it is a 20hp

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5955101 - 09/30/15 06:33 PM Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt]
BowsnRods Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Bandera County
Move the stand, or put up a new blind and feeder in the new area, season is long and the best hunting dosent come till the cold weather gets here.

#5955279 - 09/30/15 08:15 PM Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt]
Tff caribou Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX
Plenty of deer get killed out of popups that just got put out 20 minutes before daylight. Just move it if you want. Deer aren't as smart as we like to give them credit for. Especially as good as you are at brushing one in.

#5955363 - 09/30/15 09:04 PM Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt]
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: DFW
Guys,

I think he said or inferred earlier that he doesn't have or want to spend more $ than he already has. Yes, I realize that you can get a pop up relatively cheap but if he's decided not to use funds for that then he needs an alternative. I'd grab me a chair and sit in some cover and see what comes out into the clearing.

#5955375 - 09/30/15 09:09 PM Re: Need opinions on moving my blind...is it too late?...long post, sorry. [Re: Matt]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

I would get a cattle panel and wire some brush/grass to it and make me a blind cheaply....$20 or so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide