Print Thread
Trapping #2 #5941429 09/22/15 09:57 PM
D
DesertHunting Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
D
In this post I'll just go over a few basic tools that I use. Now remember, I'm all about fast and simple. You can add to these as you like or find something that works good for you.

I always carry two sets of gloves with me. One set is for general use. I use them for handling dirty traps, dead animals, anything that is not going into a set. The second set is for clean traps and making sets only. This limits the amount of scent transfer, and scent is important when trapping fro coyotes.

The black object is a chemical apron that I believe fell off an oilfield truck of some kind, it was still in the wrapper never used. What I use this for is to kneel on and place all the dirt I dig out of the trap bed. It also serves to keep scent from my cloths from getting on the grass and soil in front of the trap.

The forked implement is a homemade tool that I use to help place my pan covers, remove any sticks or rocks that may have fallen on to the trap while I was covering it.

Of course knee pads. Unless your young and still have good knees, these are essential. Especially over here in rock country.

Next is a mason hammer. This is my primary digging tool and stake driver.

A good pair of hide shears are handy.

And finally a sifter. I like this this smaller one because I can control where the dirt falls on the trap better and it packs easy.

In the top pic you will see a swatch of denim. I use squares cut from this as pan covers. I keep it in the trap bag with all the lures and baits so that it's not one more smell on the set. Seems to work just fine for me that way.

When I do decide to dig a hole for a hole set, I'll use the auger and a cordless drill. This one cleans out the hole and makes one that is big enough to let scent out, but small enough to get critters curious to check it out more. Most of my hole sets are done the diggless way though. Using the piece of PVC pipe with a 45 end cut, I drive this in the ground where I want the bait placed. I then stuff a little sheep's wool down the pipe about an inch or so below the top. Then place my bait down the pipe. It fast and simple.

The sucker rod is for earth anchor pilot holes. In my area there is not an anchor made that can be driven strait in the ground without first punching a pilot hole.

And then an extra hammer for any heavier work such as earth anchor holes or trail snare stakes.

And a spade for any lite digging. Not much of that around here but it comes in handy.

And a good pair of loppers. These can be used to clear an area for a trap or make backing from tree breaches. I even use them to cut and carry prickly pear pads to use in set forcing the animal to work it a certain way.

I catch a lot of my our urine and scat (in the mason jar) from live animals and picking it up in the field. F&T is just one supplier you can order your own from. I highly recommend having some on hand.

Baits:

These are just a few manufacture baits I tried this year. They seemed to work good and I'd use them again. The one on the far left is primarily for cats. I make a lot of my own baits from deer organs, bird carcasses, mice or anything animal parts I have left over from hunts.

Lures:

There are so many lures out there it's hard to say what works best. Just remember a lure or call is meant to get out on the wind and head the animal in the right direction. There are a couple ways that I use lures. One, by placing a dab of it on a tree branch right hove and back of my trap. Or two, by placing a small amount on a stick and shoving the non-lure end in the ground behind my bait.

A good tip - if your bait and lure bottles come with a label, wrap them in clear packing tape. This will protect them so you know what your putting down. As you can see, I also mark the lids, this makes it easy to know what it is while it's still in the trapping bag.

Finally the trapping bag.

I found this little Craftsman tool bag to be perfect for me. It holds what I need it to and its compact. If I need to walk a trap into an area or throw my bag and traps in the four wheeler boxes, it works perfect.

Hope this helps you get started.

I haven't started hitting the line real hard yet, but when I do, I'll work on getting videos up of sets.

Thanks

Re: Trapping #2 [Re: DesertHunting] #5941582 09/22/15 11:43 PM
D
Daler-the-Nailer Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
Been trapping for 3 years, but have only used conibears. Decided to branch out into foot holds this year and try my hand at dirt sets, so I'm really enjoying this series. Please keep it up!! I'm finding it very informative and appreciate your insight, thanks!

Re: Trapping #2 [Re: DesertHunting] #5941938 09/23/15 02:55 AM
D
DesertHunting Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
D
Glad it helps. The next one will be on making the set. Once I get the videos up and running they should help more. Each set has the basics to it, but terrain and animals will dictate how you finish them out. I made three sets yesterday and all three I made different.

Re: Trapping #2 [Re: DesertHunting] #5943455 09/24/15 01:13 AM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
What do you trap, or did I miss it?

R

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: Trapping #2 [Re: DesertHunting] #5943913 09/24/15 11:42 AM
D
DesertHunting Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
D
Coyotes are my primary targets, I do a lot of livestock and wildlife protection work. Along with Fox, bobcats and the occasional Mt. lion.

Re: Trapping #2 [Re: DesertHunting] #5948711 09/27/15 03:14 PM
L
luvpigmeet Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
This is my first year trapping. I heard that scent doesn't really matter if you are trapping Bobcats. I heard you can set a trap right out of the box for Bobcats. This is my primary target here in PA. Only allowed one per year.

Last edited by luvpigmeet; 09/27/15 03:15 PM.
Re: Trapping #2 [Re: DesertHunting] #5952988 09/29/15 09:01 PM
S
SouthTXhunter07 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
i have set many of foot traps down here in south TX and haven't caught anything. i heard from another trapper he uses tuna from a can and strings a bird feather over the trap for coyotes and bobcats. has anyone tried this? does it work? maybe since i didn't use gloves the predators can smell my scent? im going to try tuna next time around.

Re: Trapping #2 [Re: DesertHunting] #5961257 10/05/15 03:02 AM
L
luvpigmeet Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
From what I understand, wearing gloves and being scent free is important for Coyotes, but Bobcats it doesn't matter. A lot of people don't even cover their traps with dirt for Bobcat.

Re: Trapping #2 [Re: DesertHunting] #6126672 01/09/16 05:51 AM
D
DesertHunting Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
D
Sorry guys I didn't keep up with this.

With bobcats, scent isn't near as important as it is with coyotes, fox and coons. But it still plays an important role. Bobcats are visual hunters, so feathers, cassette tape ribbon, cd's, Christmas tree ornaments, you name it, has been hung in trees to get their attention. But to seal the deal it still comes down to scent, that's what your bait is for.

I would never leave a trap uncovered. I've seen guys that have done some very poor trap sets like that, but I've never seen them catch anything. Plus you never know what might be checking out your set. If a coon sees your trap, you can be sure he will dig it up and play with it, then you won't catch anything.

Tuna is a great bait base because of the strong fishy smell. I've mixed it with canned cat food, cat nip,and beaver castor and had good results.

Good luck and happy trapping.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide