Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Graining the roads #5938663 09/21/15 01:40 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
That's the only way to hunt quail in some of the brush country, and I approve that. How do you feel about graining the roads for quail hinting? For just working dogs.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Graining the roads [Re: bill oxner] #5938890 09/21/15 03:31 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Before I dogged up I was invited on a quail hunt, guys grained under mesquite trees then road around in their trucks when they saw quail under the trees they skillet shot them. I think I'll just let the dogs earn their keep and miss the flying little rockets. I know I'll get dirty looks from the dogs but I'll live with it.

Last edited by Barny Topwater; 09/21/15 03:33 PM.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Graining the roads [Re: bill oxner] #5939483 09/21/15 09:32 PM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: bill oxner
That's the only way to hunt quail in some of the brush country, and I approve that. How do you feel about graining the roads for quail hinting? For just working dogs.

Bill,
You show to be a birddog/quail hunting purist of which I appreciate. If it comes to graining roads, I am through. The hunt is about the dog, not the quail. By graining roads, you not only expose the quail for the gun, but also for the hawks and other feral animals. I know that I am going to get beat up on this board for saying this, but I think the practice should be outlawed. If you want to feed the quail, broadcast the feed in the field, in the cover, and let the dogs find them the right way. Skillet shooting quail is awful!

Re: Graining the roads [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #5939499 09/21/15 09:39 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter

Bill,
You show to be a birddog/quail hunting purist of which I appreciate. If it comes to graining roads, I am through. The hunt is about the dog, not the quail. By graining roads, you not only expose the quail for the gun, but also for the hawks and other feral animals. I know that I am going to get beat up on this board for saying this, but I think the practice should be outlawed. If you want to feed the quail, broadcast the feed in the field, in the cover, and let the dogs find them the right way. Skillet shooting quail is awful!

I generally agree with you, but you will not outlaw it in Texas. I remember some dove hunters getting into trouble for shooting dove off those same roads.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Graining the roads [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #5939672 09/21/15 11:09 PM
B
bobcat1 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

Bill,
This and it teaches dogs to run trails and roads. We used to put birds out horseback and you could watch the dogs track right where the horses went and find the birds. Graining roads before or after season I have no problem with. Don't like Skillet shots either.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Graining the roads [Re: bill oxner] #5939800 09/22/15 12:38 AM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Its cheating and lazy. No other state allows it

Re: Graining the roads [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #5939878 09/22/15 01:10 AM
W
Whoa Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W

Bill,

Ditto

Re: Graining the roads [Re: bill oxner] #5940927 09/22/15 05:08 PM
A
ALM TXhunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
A
Doesn't seem to be much sport involved in that.

Re: Graining the roads [Re: bill oxner] #5941039 09/22/15 06:19 PM
B
Baylor_Bears Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I got blasted, absolutely blasted on the deer page a couple years ago for this view and probably will again. It is no different than deer hunting over a feeder, or bear hunting over a 55-gallon drum stuffed with jelly donuts. I think its lazy and shouldnt be allowed. Put in the work, filling a feeder or throwing grain on a gravel road isnt work. My two cents as a young man!

Last edited by Baylor_Bears; 09/22/15 09:38 PM.

Re: Graining the roads [Re: Baylor_Bears] #5941126 09/22/15 07:01 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
Originally Posted By: Baylor_Bears
I got blasted, absolutely blasted on the deer page a couple years ago for this view and probably will again. It is no different than deer hunting over a feeder, or beer hunting over a 55-gallon drum stuffed with jelly donuts. I think its lazy and shouldnt be allowed. Put in the work, filling a feeder or throwing grain on a gravel road isnt work. My two cents as a young man!

Some guy were complaining about the price of deer leases and I just said if they want deer lease prices to go down all the needed do was outlaw feeders, I was called a Yankee that should go back north. I'm an old fat guy

Last edited by Barny Topwater; 09/22/15 07:01 PM.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: Graining the roads [Re: Baylor_Bears] #5941135 09/22/15 07:09 PM
N
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
I got blasted, absolutely blasted on the deer page a couple years ago for this view and probably will again. It is no different than deer hunting over a feeder, or beer hunting over a 55-gallon drum stuffed with jelly donuts. I think its lazy and shouldnt be allowed. Put in the work, filling a feeder or throwing grain on a gravel road isnt work. My two cents as a young man!

Thanks for your point of view. I also have a problem with quail feeders on ranches and leases. They can become a death trap for a covey because hawks and owls and feral predators start stalking at feeding time which is a pretty close pattern every day. In working with the Quail-Tech team, I have learned it is better to pour milo out of a bag in a straight line in the cover away from roads and feeders. It does provide food for the quail in the cover and decreases their chances of being ambushed by all, even the hunters. I don't have one problem with harvesting quail as long as it is done in the old-fashioned gentlemanly, purist way of putting in the time behind a fine brace of dogs and wearing boot leather out. As you mentioned, it creates a lot more satisfaction and memories for me to put the work in to accomplish this mission.

Re: Graining the roads [Re: RayB] #5941400 09/22/15 09:41 PM
B
Baylor_Bears Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater

Some guy were complaining about the price of deer leases and I just said if they want deer lease prices to go down all the needed do was outlaw feeders, I was called a Yankee that should go back north. I'm an old fat guy

That is not to say that I look down on people who use these methods. To each his own, hunting over a feeder was how I was introduced to hunting to begin with. I just personally don't get a whole lot out of shooting something that I pump full of feed.

Re: Graining the roads [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #5941881 09/23/15 02:32 AM
T
TXPanhandler Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
[/quote]
Thanks for your point of view. I also have a problem with quail feeders on ranches and leases. They can become a death trap for a covey because hawks and owls and feral predators start stalking at feeding time which is a pretty close pattern every day. In working with the Quail-Tech team, I have learned it is better to pour milo out of a bag in a straight line in the cover away from roads and feeders. It does provide food for the quail in the cover and decreases their chances of being ambushed by all, even the hunters. I don't have one problem with harvesting quail as long as it is done in the old-fashioned gentlemanly, purist way of putting in the time behind a fine brace of dogs and wearing boot leather out. As you mentioned, it creates a lot more satisfaction and memories for me to put the work in to accomplish this mission. [/quote]

I don't agree with the no feeders on ranches. I hunt a 140 section ranch in Moore county that we have put about 100 feeders on. Most of the feeders are in the middle of plum thickets (where birds are not ambushed by predators) and it has helped us enjoy the hunting so much more. The coveys are bigger/healthier every year. We take people hunting who don't get around well and are not capable of walking 20 miles in a day and put on awesome hunts for everybody including the dogs.

I can totally understand not putting feeders on a 640 acre lease, but when you hunt big country the feeders make for a much more enjoyable hunt and less time spent in the truck.

upshaw-insurance.com
Re: Graining the roads [Re: TXPanhandler] #5941996 09/23/15 03:33 AM
N
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Why not scatter or broadcast feed in the brush and cover that give the birds the best chance of survival instead of enticing them into the proverbial gas chamber? I am all about feeding quail, just not from feeders nor in the middle of the road.

Last edited by NorthTXbirdhunter; 09/23/15 03:39 AM.
Re: Graining the roads [Re: Baylor_Bears] #5948307 09/27/15 02:56 AM
bermise Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I got blasted, absolutely blasted on the deer page a couple years ago for this view and probably will again. It is no different than deer hunting over a feeder, or bear hunting over a 55-gallon drum stuffed with jelly donuts. I think its lazy and shouldnt be allowed. Put in the work, filling a feeder or throwing grain on a gravel road isnt work. My two cents as a young man!

What's the difference between a corn feeder or corn field? There both hunting over bait

Re: Graining the roads [Re: bill oxner] #5949004 09/27/15 06:34 PM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
For Bobs I use my dog and have never grained a road. I have really not thought about doing it truthfully. I really am just there to watch my dog work. When we hunted blues in west texas we used to grain roads but I would not take my dog we just ran after them.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: Graining the roads [Re: bill oxner] #5949083 09/27/15 07:42 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I've never done it. If I did I would probably keep the dogs in the box and just let them out to round up the dead birds. It sounds like a good way to get a few skillet shots for dinner.

Re: Graining the roads [Re: bill oxner] #5956091 10/01/15 04:31 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Your ranch, hunt it your way. Don't nanny me with your preference.

Deer feeders cause the death of VASTLY more quail to predators than quail feeders or graining roads ever will ( due to the much higher number of deer feeders ).

While I like the idea of placing quail feeders in cover, unless you don't allow deer feeders you're not accomplishing much.

Last edited by therancher; 10/01/15 04:33 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Graining the roads [Re: bill oxner] #5956121 10/01/15 04:58 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Interesting thread. I've never hunted on, or "grained" a road.
I always thought deer feeders were a bit questionable.

Still, to each his own. I'll keep hunting my dogs the same way as always.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Graining the roads [Re: bill oxner] #5956320 10/01/15 07:00 PM
K
kweber Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
what about all those trucks w/seats on the front?
do they drive behind the dogs?

Re: Graining the roads [Re: kweber] #5956559 10/01/15 08:58 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: kweber
what about all those trucks w/seats on the front?
do they drive behind the dogs?

You'll still get to watch the dog work and kill less birds than walking with a loaded gun.

[Linked Image]

Re: Graining the roads [Re: bill oxner] #5956585 10/01/15 09:16 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I don't have dogs, skillet shooting is the only way to go!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Graining the roads [Re: redchevy] #5956594 10/01/15 09:25 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I don't have dogs, skillet shooting is the only way to go!

Or, invite a friend with dogs.

[Linked Image]

Re: Graining the roads [Re: bill oxner] #5960806 10/05/15 12:06 AM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
up

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Graining the roads [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #5963881 10/06/15 04:44 PM
M
Matpk Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M

Bill,

I endorsed it. Skillet KILLING ..What I will call it. confused2

Re: Graining the roads [Re: Matpk] #5964186 10/06/15 07:42 PM
N
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: matpk

Bill,

Re: Graining the roads [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #5964197 10/06/15 07:45 PM
N
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: matpk

Bill,

Wow! That statement does not even deserve a response.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide