Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5965280 10/07/15 03:33 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
These situations are often case by case IMHO. But if it is a situation were a neighbor sets up on a fence line that is not a safety issue I have always just made use of the situation. I scout the trails, funnels, staging areas, etc. on my side leading to it and if i can find a decent stand location covering the trail, etc. that is off the fence, a safe spot, and out of sight from the neighbors, we put a stand up as an alternate for our lease. They never know, we get a decent stand sight usually, and everyone is happy. Same as we might do to hunt game headed to water, oaks, a persimmon grove, wheat field, food plot, etc. Deer move around in patterns usually, mostly to eat, and don't know what fences are for. A lot of hunters on public land bcause of how that type of hunting works are hunting trails on the public land that lead to private land feeders just over the boundaries. And the hunters on both sides of the fence don't even know it.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5965609 10/07/15 01:40 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Usually its one of two types of people...

1. Idiots that just truly don't know any better or weren't taught any better.

2. Those on a bad lease and trying to get what they can to jump the fence from the neighbors.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5965762 10/07/15 03:10 PM
T
Threelranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I tell all my hunters to hunt all of my land and that includes the fence line , all of my neighbors know this and the hunters respect each other .If there is one on a fence line then the other does not put one up in the line of sight .It's all about how it is done , i know that not all hunters are respect fellow hunters and that a sad fact .

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5966032 10/07/15 05:54 PM
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I did not read all the posts yet.. but had a thought and at my age, have to type it before it gets lost.. lol

Okay.. he has a stand on the fence line and if he shoot slightly over the fence, he can hit your house.

How is that different than him putting it in the middle of his place and shooting in the direction of your house?

I know. it is a pain to hunt on a fence line... but that is a good place to see deer. Perhaps he put it there so that he knows exactly where your place is so he does not hit it? I would inform him that you are concerned that he shoots something on your place... and leave it at that. Remember, the moment you say anything, you can make an enemy out of a friend. Might be better to drop a hint that to make sure he knows where your house is and where to aim.. and then keep an eye on him.

I am ALL for standing up for your rights to your side of the fence, just be careful not to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Russ

Hunting is easy..it's getting permission from your wife that is tough.
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5967686 10/08/15 05:47 PM
C
Caliche Kid Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I don't think any of us can help you out much. Too many variables. I won't let my hunters put up a blind or feeder within 1/4 mile of a perimeter fence but you can't do that on small property. Sometimes high fence can solve these issues too. It can be hard to solve these issues without talking, carefully, between those involved and you need to avoid a feud because some folks just live for it.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5972845 10/12/15 04:29 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I mentioned earlier it really depends on set up and have no problem with it as long as shooting lines don't impact or put our Hunters at risk. I have 2 feeders set up around 300 yards from a fence line, and my blind is set up on a 60 foot bluff where I would be aiming down, instead of across a neighboring fence. Neighbor does not have any sets on his side of the hill. If he did, I would move even farther back in and let him know where we are at. We are not high fenced, so just free range deer. It is not so much to me as where they set up, but more about safety and mutual respect. When I am within a 1/2 mile of an adjoining property, I wear an orange cover vest and hat going to blind and leaving it. I know, not required here, but with smaller parcels these days it helps all folks stay aware. This is a tough topic, as too many variables, but just be safe, respect all, and enjoy your hunt. I can recall a hunt a few years back when in a 25 foot tower, set 400 yards from fence line in an oat field. Shot a buck at 225 yards, not near the adjoining property, and given altitude no way a bullet could have crossed a fence. Deer ran and ended up piled within 10 feet of fence. Hunter on other property had a blind on fence line and watched it unfold. He was grateful our shot was well downhill, and we tracked deer wearing blaze orange. Turned out to be a good friend and we shared hunting leases the next year as guests. My only issue is blinds facing feeders placed close to fence line. I honestly made that mistake when I was a young Hunter. Learned quick from that one when a neighboring Hunter was still/stalk hunting the same buck. Fortunately he had patches of a orange as did I. He was nice about it, educated me, and that same day I redid my entire set up to ensure there was no chance my round could cross the fence.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide