Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5939362 09/21/15 08:02 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
There was a bill introduced in 2005 to address this very thing, but it never passed. Print this article off, put it in a waterproof bag and secure it to the fence so the encroacher will find it. Maybe he will get the "hint".

http://www.chron.com/sports/outdoors/article/Tompkins-Bills-draw-line-on-fence-hunting-1637169.php

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5939382 09/21/15 08:10 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I'd prefer his blind against my fence and his feeder 100 yards into his place than his feeder on the fence and his blind 100 yards into his place.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: redchevy] #5939389 09/21/15 08:17 PM
T
TX Hitman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I'd prefer his blind against my fence and his feeder 100 yards into his place than his feeder on the fence and his blind 100 yards into his place.

Agreed

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5939566 09/21/15 10:12 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I hunted on a place where the neighbor had his blind on the fence and I felt safer than if he would have a blind several yards off my fenceline facing toward me.
He knew where I hunted and I knew where he was hunting so I never had a problem.
It made it easy for me to walk over and talk to him when I wanted to. I also told him there was someone hunting on our place just about every day during the season.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: Jhop] #5939702 09/21/15 11:34 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Rcinit
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:
I guess I have never understood why this is a problem if they are facing into their property.

I never understood either. I would much rather have a guy hunting his property from the fence and shooting inside his property (why shouldn't he use all his space?) than have a guy 50 or 100 yards away from the fence and shooting toward me.

I don't care if they are on the fence or off the fence if they are shooting across the fence, it is just wrong. Just because they are on the fence, however, doesn't mean they are shooting across the fence.

Putting a feeder against a fence can be a whole other issue.

X3.... All this talk of putting items up to harass the hunter and trespass to damage his property is just crazy and illegal. Game warden should probably come after y'all.
A man has to do what a man has to do. Calling GWs LEOs or talking to the people does squat. Do what you have to do and blame it on the wind.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5939776 09/22/15 12:24 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
So we are back to that other thread about people thinking the law should not apply to them...
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...y_G#Post5915753

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5939785 09/22/15 12:29 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: hetman
or take a mp3 player with a Bluetooth speaker and have it set to start playing opening morning around 6:30am . not sure what song at this time to just have it repeat over and over.

I vote for "Here comes the BOOM" grin

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5939799 09/22/15 12:38 AM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Not a courteous way to hunt next to your neighbor, especially if he has 2000 acres to hunt.

It's not illegal and I would understand it more if he was limited on acreage. But having 2000 acres tells me he placed it there to irritate ya'll.

If I were dealing with it, I'd start a hog pile on my side next to the blind.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5939810 09/22/15 12:43 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Personally I hate these threads - it is a no win debate - those who respect their neighbors and those who don't. Doesn't matter if it is out in the middle of nowhere on a deer lease or next door to where you live. Don't treat your neighbor in any other way than you would like to be treated.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5939868 09/22/15 01:03 AM
K
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K
**on 2nd thought...

Last edited by Kawabuggy; 09/22/15 02:10 AM.

A hog is nothing more than a bullet receptacle.
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5939914 09/22/15 01:23 AM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Our landowner has rules in place that do not allow us to have a feeder or blind within 250 yards on any fence line. Of course we didn't need that memo as we wouldn't have anything near the property line anyways. It's all about respect and some lack it.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5940177 09/22/15 03:31 AM
T
TFF Caribou Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Depends where you are at and what you have available. I hunt 100 acres of family land. The best place I could put a stand and feeder is about 80 yards from the property line. I'm really the only person who hunts the land, but my wifes cousin has 2 blinds on the west end of the property. I didn't want to encroach on him even though he only hunts a couple times a season. I put my stand on the east end of the property where there is less space due to property layout.

That being said, even though I am 80 yards from the property line, the neighbor doesn't have a stand up and as far as I can tell, doesn't hunt. I would never put a stand near a property line if the other guy had a stand there first.

Last edited by Tff caribou; 09/22/15 03:32 AM.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #5940249 09/22/15 04:39 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Bad idea. Same thing happened on two ranches near my place. One put up a new stand on the fence line, so the adjacent hunters started using the area directly across the fence as the "gut" pile. Turkeys, ducks, dove and deer were all dumped there. Guy with the stand called the GW and the GW gave the hunters 2 days to have it all cleaned up and moved, otherwise, it would be classified as "hunter harassment."

Funny how some people only want the laws in effect to be enforced that they agree with but want to have vigilante justice on someone that following the law. Makes me wonder how they pick and choose which laws to follow themselves.

Same people that argue about fence line hunters will turn around and argue the opposite for HF's and use land owner rights as the argument. Then a different person will use the argument that they "aren't your deer, they are the states deer" but get mad when someone tries to draw "their" deer off the property. Can't remember how many times I have heard the phrase "hunting is hunting, as long as it is legal" confused2

I personally have no issue with stands and feeders on a fence line. I believe that a man has a right to do what he wants on his land and hunt where he wants. I also believe that a man has a right to put a stand right across the fence from someone that has one on their property.

Last count, there were 13 stands and feeders on our fence lines. We had one complaint because a shot at the feeder would be pointing at one of our stands that was about 200 yards off the fence. We asked the neighbor to move the stand and now they are parallel to the fence. No more issue. Also, two of those stands was also a member here on the forum. When we cleared that fence line, it took an effort not to knock the stand over because it was so close to the fence.

I don't agree with the "moral/ethical" debate. I don't see a blind on a fence line as being a bad neighbor either. I see it as they are trying to utilize their acreage and farm to best increase their chances.

As a side note, I don't hunt the neighbors fence lines and off the top of my head, the closest any of our hunters are to a fence (that isn't ours) is about 200 yards.

We did have one in the past that would use a milk jug full of corn tied to a rope to throw corn on our side of the fence and used the rope to pull the jug back to his side. That did tick me off...

Going a step farther, good luck in proving that a bullet actually crossed your fence line. I hear that argument alot in these threads, but the way it was explained to me, it is a law that is rarely convicted on its own. It was implemented to be added to the list of violations on poachers and is typically only written in conjunction with other violations of poaching or trespassing.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: fouzman] #5940250 09/22/15 04:41 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: fouzman
There was a bill introduced in 2005 to address this very thing, but it never passed. Print this article off, put it in a waterproof bag and secure it to the fence so the encroacher will find it. Maybe he will get the "hint".

http://www.chron.com/sports/outdoors/article/Tompkins-Bills-draw-line-on-fence-hunting-1637169.php

That law would suck for small land owners...especially if their land was only 300 yards wide

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5940310 09/22/15 10:21 AM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
One of my blinds is on a fence line facing the property I hunt. If anybody tried half the stuff y'all are talking about I'd have the warden there quick, then y'all could explain the need to mess up my hunting because you want laws to bend for you.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5940339 09/22/15 11:02 AM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
As I stated before, I understand if it's a smaller property that's facing in toward their land. But 2000 acres?

We have a rule on our lease mandated by the landowners that no stand or feeder can be placed within 300 yards of a fence line.

Are they breaking the law? No. Are they being a good neighbor? No.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: txshntr] #5940479 09/22/15 01:29 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: txshntr

Bad idea. Same thing happened on two ranches near my place. One put up a new stand on the fence line, so the adjacent hunters started using the area directly across the fence as the "gut" pile. Turkeys, ducks, dove and deer were all dumped there. Guy with the stand called the GW and the GW gave the hunters 2 days to have it all cleaned up and moved, otherwise, it would be classified as "hunter harassment."

Funny how some people only want the laws in effect to be enforced that they agree with but want to have vigilante justice on someone that following the law. Makes me wonder how they pick and choose which laws to follow themselves.

Same people that argue about fence line hunters will turn around and argue the opposite for HF's and use land owner rights as the argument. Then a different person will use the argument that they "aren't your deer, they are the states deer" but get mad when someone tries to draw "their" deer off the property. Can't remember how many times I have heard the phrase "hunting is hunting, as long as it is legal" confused2

I personally have no issue with stands and feeders on a fence line. I believe that a man has a right to do what he wants on his land and hunt where he wants. I also believe that a man has a right to put a stand right across the fence from someone that has one on their property.

Last count, there were 13 stands and feeders on our fence lines. We had one complaint because a shot at the feeder would be pointing at one of our stands that was about 200 yards off the fence. We asked the neighbor to move the stand and now they are parallel to the fence. No more issue. Also, two of those stands was also a member here on the forum. When we cleared that fence line, it took an effort not to knock the stand over because it was so close to the fence.

I don't agree with the "moral/ethical" debate. I don't see a blind on a fence line as being a bad neighbor either. I see it as they are trying to utilize their acreage and farm to best increase their chances.

As a side note, I don't hunt the neighbors fence lines and off the top of my head, the closest any of our hunters are to a fence (that isn't ours) is about 200 yards.

We did have one in the past that would use a milk jug full of corn tied to a rope to throw corn on our side of the fence and used the rope to pull the jug back to his side. That did tick me off...

Going a step farther, good luck in proving that a bullet actually crossed your fence line. I hear that argument alot in these threads, but the way it was explained to me, it is a law that is rarely convicted on its own. It was implemented to be added to the list of violations on poachers and is typically only written in conjunction with other violations of poaching or trespassing.

Well said TREX and I completely agree...

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: txshntr] #5940488 09/22/15 01:32 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Your next to last paragraph is why folks get concerned when someone places stands/feeders right on a neighbors fence line. Whether there is intent or not to do anything unethical it leads to suspicion and concern. Safety is also a factor. We keep all stands and hunting at least 300 yards off any fence line and keep all stands a minimum of 800-1000 yards apart.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5940549 09/22/15 02:07 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
My blind on a fence line facing the interior of my land is me not being a good neighbor? Bs

More like people minding my business more than their own.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: tlk] #5940581 09/22/15 02:17 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: tlk

Your next to last paragraph is why folks get concerned when someone places stands/feeders right on a neighbors fence line. Whether there is intent or not to do anything unethical it leads to suspicion and concern. Safety is also a factor. We keep all stands and hunting at least 300 yards off any fence line and keep all stands a minimum of 800-1000 yards apart.

TLK, believe it or not, there are persons that can resist temptation to perpetrate a wrong...Not everyone is looking to take a "pop shot" into someone else's property. Should you have that occur and can confirm it; I agree that an animal of another color has occurred.

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: DQ Kid] #5940584 09/22/15 02:17 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: DQ Kid

Well said TREX and I completely agree...

I agree landowners rights should allow this practice.

But to have a stand so close to the fence line that you can't walk between the fence and the stand on 2000 acres? So if the wind blows it over to my side of the fence do I own it now? If it destroyed the fence falling on it and my live stock escapes who is responsible for those expenses?

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: hetman] #5940653 09/22/15 02:43 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
At my residence I have a feeder 30' from the fenceline. I don't shoot deer here, just feed them. Would you fellas (fenceline feeder haters) have a problem with that if I was your neighbor?

Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: 8pointdrop] #5940668 09/22/15 02:49 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
My blind on a fence line facing the interior of my land is me not being a good neighbor? Bs

If you have 2000 acres to hunt and are doing this IMO I don't think that is being a good neighbor.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: grout-scout] #5940674 09/22/15 02:53 PM
P
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
At my residence I have a feeder 30' from the fenceline. I don't shoot deer here, just feed them. Would you fellas (fenceline feeder haters) have a problem with that if I was your neighbor?

No.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Blinds on adjoining fence line's [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #5940874 09/22/15 04:36 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop

If you have 2000 acres to hunt and are doing this IMO I don't think that is being a good neighbor.

Acceptable on 640 acres or no? Trying to figure out if I owe my neighbor an apology...

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide