Print Thread
Drawing hunts #5936593 09/20/15 12:10 AM
J
jae011 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Is there an ballpark average on how long it usually takes to draw? I've put in for a couple whitetail and pronghorn spots last 2 yrs. should I expect to draw within the next 2-3 years on any?

Re: Drawing hunts [Re: jae011] #5936670 09/20/15 01:16 AM
D
DHS274 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I don't think there is a pattern, new comers seem to do well. My first year I was 3 for 12, last year 0-9, this year 0-50. I entered everything, I have loyalty points and still nada.

Re: Drawing hunts [Re: DHS274] #5936696 09/20/15 01:32 AM
T
texashelms Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: DHS274
I don't think there is a pattern, new comers seem to do well. My first year I was 3 for 12, last year 0-9, this year 0-50. I entered everything, I have loyalty points and still nada.

Dang it 0-50 lol

I think it doesn't really matter if you have 20 or 1 loyalty points in your pool. Your name only goes in the drawn once regardless of points listed. I would love to see the actual numbers for the winners.

Re: Drawing hunts [Re: jae011] #5936698 09/20/15 01:35 AM
K
KLM358 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
K
Like DHS274 said. Don't think there is any pattern. After applying for several hunts over the last 20 years I have been drawn only one time! I'm starting to think the points mean nothing!!!

Re: Drawing hunts [Re: KLM358] #5936797 09/20/15 02:26 AM
T
texashelms Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Yeah I've always heard in other state draw hunts you can predict when you'll likely be drawn but not in Texas.

Re: Drawing hunts [Re: jae011] #5937178 09/20/15 03:02 PM
W
Whiptail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W

I average every 3 or so years: 2000, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2015.
Can't win if you don't apply but the odds aren't good for many hunts.

Re: Drawing hunts [Re: jae011] #5937271 09/20/15 04:17 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
TxHelms, According to TPW in past years aka before the name change from Preference Points to Loyalty Points...their position was that the reason to enter every year was that you accrued a Lottery Entry in the Drawing Pool for every PP in your name in that specific Category & had nothing to do with how PP's are managed in typically the Western States - or averaged on a multi name Texas Lottery Entry app.

Lot of years worth of bad press and public blowback over the name "PP's" being used this way in the Texas System was the reason for the name change to Loyalty Points was an attempt to duck the contual comparison with the rockie Mountain Western states that used the same PP name....but a totally different system. IN TPW's System, in years past & still currently, out of state Non Resident Lottery Hunt entrys are not restrcited in any way, no advance fees are collected, and the Non Resident Hunters are treated exactly the same way as Texas Residents, except for the Price of the Non Res License IF & WHEN they draw a LOttery Hunt Permit (which is not a Tag BTW).

The typical Western PP system, from what I am aware of (and every state tweaks their system somewhat) is that you accrue a PP for every year you buy an entry tag by sending in the $$'s for the App Fee, Hunt Tag & License ahead of time which can run beaucoup bux for Non Resident Entrys that are also subject to severe Tag #'s and HUnt Area restrictions on Non Rez Hunters.

Consequently when a given Western State publish's the list of Tags warded the year before & success rate %, and a history of how many PP's the previous year # of PP's necessary for a given Hunt Area were, you could pretty much determine what your chances of being drawn for a given area were...cause most if not ALL the Western States ALSO award tags based on the Resident Hunters with highest number of PP's being selected 1st, plus Non Resident Hunters being excluded from certain Hunt Areas & Game allowed regardless of PP's....Shiras Moose in Wyoming or is it Montana come to mind are closed to Non rez Hunters last I heard. FYI I'd go to Canada for moose...anyway.

Pro's & con's both ways in the diff's 'tween TPW & the the Rockie Mountain States system...but I while much prefer the Western States style of big number 1st rated PP distribution, I refuse to spend my $$'s any more in the Rockies at all because of the accelerated excessive Non Resident tag cost X a Resident Hunter & other Non Res tag restrictions....so I still dink with the Texas Lottery Hunts, even though with several categories in mid double digit "Loyalty Points" I have not been drawn in more than 5-6 years for anything.

Currently I have 6 App's held for a 2nd Drawing in 4 categories, with an App not drawn yet in Feral Hog. However.... Gone are the days when I would spend beau coup bux on Texas Lottery Hunt entries, but like this year's App Fee's, I average about a $20 contribution to the effort every year....but then I'll give $20 bux to the Boy Scouts, FireFighters, even a clean trustworthy looking guy begging on the corner etc 1st before TPW gets any $$'s from me anymore for Lottery Hunt App fees....and I volunteer my available spare time on a nearby FEDERAL WMA to do anything they need that I can do.
Just Sayin'
Ron

Last edited by WileyCoyote; 09/20/15 04:37 PM.

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Drawing hunts [Re: jae011] #5937532 09/20/15 07:49 PM
L
luvpigmeet Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Here in PA,I have 11 "preference points for elk". I have never been drawn. I called the biologist and complained, he told me it does not matter how many preference points you have, you go into a computer drawing. Only thing, you go in as many times as preference points you have plus current year applying. I told him, anywhere in the U.S, with 11 points, I would've been drawn for something. He just giving me excuses as to why it doesn't matter, blah, blah. Then he said he is buying points so when he retires he will get drawn!! I said, so how many points do I need, thought it didn't matter about how many points you have. All of a sudden he started back peddling and said he said it wrong. IMO, they are as crooked as the politicians. what a waste of my hard earned money. Sorry about the rant!!

Re: Drawing hunts [Re: jae011] #5937553 09/20/15 08:07 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
L P M I wish Texas would allow you to buy Loyalty Points aka PP's, but they don't....but then our Lottery Entry Fee's are $3, if there is a Permit fee of $80 for a 3 day Hunt, or I forget $100+?? for a 5 day Hunt. I haven't entered a 5 day hunt in over 10-12 years but the price then is the same as it is now for the Hunt Permit after you've been drawn. There are a few Private Lands management hunts that have a $10 App but no Hunt fee involved. I entered them for as long as they've been available and finally got drawn about 6-7 years ago...and got rained out....needless to say my PP's also went down river too.

IF my wife decides to buy one of the houses we've been looking at, 200+ miles away, then my whole season is screwed for sure...and if I'm drawn for a Texas LP Lottery Hunt then ALL my LP's are wiped out too for the Category I've drawn in. Oh well I'll get that stupid RoadRunner "Success Chicken" sooner or later sometime and roast his scrawny gizzard smile
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: Drawing hunts [Re: jae011] #5937968 09/21/15 12:33 AM
D
D.T. Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
D
What are the odds of getting picked on the 2nd draw???

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide