Forums46
Topics537,805
Posts9,729,342
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Teal, but what about them Woodies [Re: GravyWheels] #5935465 09/19/15 12:21 AM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: GravyWheels
Some people just don't get it. See people all the time shooting early, birds out of season, shooting late, shooting at non-game birds. It's people like that that are the problem, and the people that just say it's ok every now and then are no better in my opinion. All of the wanna-be duck hunter that are out there now due to Duck Dynasty and other hunting shows are trying to hunt stuff that they have no idea about, nor can most of them actually id half of the ducks out there flying around. Saw it where we used to live with people shooting 3-4 canvasbacks a day because they were "ducks". I'd rather run off those type of people than encourage them to continue hunting the way they do.

Your so hell bent on being right your not comprehending what I said. Comparing blantanly breaking the law to making an honest ID mistake is apples and oranges.

If your saying you have never made an honest mistake I say horse [censored]

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Teal, but what about them Woodies [Re: BigPig] #5935679 09/19/15 02:40 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I'll say this. I think mistakes do happen and I believe that even the most experienced hunter can make mistake but it's pretty easy to pick out the ones that matter.

Teal are easy to distinguish. Canvasbacks, redheads and pintails are pretty easy as well.

Now redhead hens and ringer hens look a lot alike. I'm a relatively new waterfowler and it's really not that hard.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Teal, but what about them Woodies [Re: BigPig] #5935721 09/19/15 03:16 AM
S
STX Waterfowler Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
My problem is Knowing when shooting time is. It's can range from 6:45 to 7:10. What does the state of TX go by? LoneStar Outdoor News has some sunrise/sunset times, so does the weather websites and DU. I usually try to check as many as I can, count 5 more minutes after, then start the barrage.

Last edited by STX Waterfowler; 09/19/15 03:16 AM.

KUPT' & KOMMITED! TAKE EM'

Re: Teal, but what about them Woodies [Re: UTMallard] #5935732 09/19/15 03:21 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: UTMallard
Had some wood duck for dinner on Monday. Almost as good as the teal!

Better , by FAR best tasting duck

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Teal, but what about them Woodies [Re: STX Waterfowler] #5935734 09/19/15 03:23 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: STX Waterfowler
My problem is Knowing when shooting time is. It's can range from 6:45 to 7:10. What does the state of TX go by? LoneStar Outdoor News has some sunrise/sunset times, so does the weather websites and DU. I usually try to check as many as I can, count 5 more minutes after, then start the barrage.

Google it

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Teal, but what about them Woodies [Re: BradyBuck] #5935739 09/19/15 03:25 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: BradyBuck
I'll say this. I think mistakes do happen and I believe that even the most experienced hunter can make mistake but it's pretty easy to pick out the ones that matter.

Teal are easy to distinguish. Canvasbacks, redheads and pintails are pretty easy as well.

Now redhead hens and ringer hens look a lot alike. I'm a relatively new waterfowler and it's really not that hard.

After a few early teal shoots, all other ducks appear slow and Very large. Flight pattern gives it away as well. Teal dart- most other ducks much more gracious in approach

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Teal, but what about them Woodies [Re: STX Waterfowler] #5935765 09/19/15 03:48 AM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

If you have a GPS unit, they usually have sunrise for your exact location. If you have a smart phone you can get the app "sunrise & set." If you have a weather app on your phone that dials into your location, that app will also show sunrise and sunset.

Re: Teal, but what about them Woodies [Re: Navasot] #5938553 09/21/15 12:07 PM
L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: Navasot
spoonys are worse.... they even got the blue patch on their wings and will fly right in the middle of teal flocks

Hmmmm, I've never noticed that... whistle

Re: Teal, but what about them Woodies [Re: STX Waterfowler] #5938835 09/21/15 02:55 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N

How long you been waterfowlin??

Re: Teal, but what about them Woodies [Re: BigPig] #5938981 09/21/15 04:34 PM
F
Fishuhalik Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Every time I hear the "all these Duck Dynasty guys these days" argument, I crack up laughing. Yall must have a real selective memory. I'm pretty young still (31) but my dad sure isn't & he tells me stories of the old days all the time. Guys would blast everything in the sky "back in the good ol' days" & shoot til their barrels melted or the sky's were clear. Poaching & duck ID, not to mention respect for the birds, is at a high. There's just been a small invention called the Internet. Instead of just hearing about that one family or those couple groups in the area that consistently practiced unethical sportsmanship, you now hear about every guy that shoots early or leaves a bag of trash in the marsh.

Also, I consider myself a darn good hunter but duck ID has always been a real problem for me since I'm colorblind. I had to pass on a lot of scaup last year cuz my redhead limit was full & I can't tell the difference between a drake redhead & a drake scaup until they're within 25 yards or so. I also killed a lot of reds that I thought were scaup because I'll just blast away until my limit for one or the other is filled. So I tend to be a lot more forgiving of guys that make an honest mistake

Cigarettes are like hamsters. Perfectly harmless til you put it in your mouth & light it on fire
Re: Teal, but what about them Woodies [Re: Dave Speer] #5938984 09/21/15 04:36 PM
F
Fishuhalik Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
Originally Posted By: Dave Speer

If you have a GPS unit, they usually have sunrise for your exact location. If you have a smart phone you can get the app "sunrise & set." If you have a weather app on your phone that dials into your location, that app will also show sunrise and sunset.

Or, just Google "sunrise & sunset in (whatever the closest town is)" and it'll tell you

Cigarettes are like hamsters. Perfectly harmless til you put it in your mouth & light it on fire
Re: Teal, but what about them Woodies [Re: Fishuhalik] #5939222 09/21/15 06:36 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
Originally Posted By: Fishuhalik
Every time I hear the "all these Duck Dynasty guys these days" argument, I crack up laughing.

Exactly,
when I see that it tells me right away that the we are dealing with a gunsel of the highest order.

#sigline
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide