Re: 25.06 [Re: postoak] #5947596 09/26/15 02:50 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: postoak
Originally Posted By: bo323
[quote=brianl][quote=dee][quote=brianl]I find it funny what people think is long range. I read one time the majority of deer are killed at 75 yards. To most hunters a 300 yard shot is rarely attempted or practiced. Splitting hairs on what gun to shoot there. I agree bullet availability etc. Still it is an easy caliber to find if you ever forget ammo etc. If we are shooting at a grand then its a different story. Still I am not taking one of my F class guns or any other big bore to shoot a deer in Texas.

I'd say that range estimate is very subjective to the terrain. I do agree that most don't practice though, heck I know some that don't even check zero before the season. [/quot

Oh boy, you had to bring that up! That issue is good for its own multi-page topic. I don't think I've ever read a definitive post on why that might not be true.

Ever seen a car wreck? The faster the cars hit the more damage. Same with bullets. The faster they hit, the faster they expand.

Re: 25.06 [Re: bo3] #5947603 09/26/15 03:00 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
[quote=brianl][quote=dee][quote=brianl]I find it funny what people think is long range. I read one time the majority of deer are killed at 75 yards. To most hunters a 300 yard shot is rarely attempted or practiced. Splitting hairs on what gun to shoot there. I agree bullet availability etc. Still it is an easy caliber to find if you ever forget ammo etc. If we are shooting at a grand then its a different story. Still I am not taking one of my F class guns or any other big bore to shoot a deer in Texas.

I'd say that range estimate is very subjective to the terrain. I do agree that most don't practice though, heck I know some that don't even check zero before the season. [/quot

Oh boy, you had to bring that up! That issue is good for its own multi-page topic. I don't think I've ever read a definitive post on why that might not be true.

Ever seen a car wreck? The faster the cars hit the more damage. Same with bullets. The faster they hit, the faster they expand.

Faster means the more they spin! RPM's kill

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 25.06 [Re: hoof n wings] #5948098 09/27/15 12:32 AM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
I don't have an opinion either way but I could see that materials have a certain speed of collapse according to their nature and a too-fast bullet could outrun that inherent rate of collapse. IOW, a linear increase in velocity might not result in a linear speed of collapse.

I actually think it is a pretty complicated subject that would require a top materials engineer and a mathematician to do the theory on.

Anyway, those who argue that way have tons of experience to back up their side.

Re: 25.06 [Re: hoof n wings] #5948126 09/27/15 12:54 AM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Wow...this is still going on? bang

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: 25.06 [Re: hoof n wings] #5948221 09/27/15 02:01 AM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B

As speed increases so does expansion. Non of those bullets magically quite expanding as velocity increased.

Re: 25.06 [Re: bo3] #5948229 09/27/15 02:06 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^That's going to depend on bullet construction. There are plenty of construction types that will explode if they hit tissue too fast. kmon1 posted a good video from Hornady of bullets passing through ballistic gel. It was quite informative.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: 25.06 [Re: bo3] #5948250 09/27/15 02:19 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior

As speed increases so does expansion. Non of those bullets magically quite expanding as velocity increased.

Have used those bullets and they work well and similar to the Trophy Bonded Bearclaws with great weight retention and do keep mushrooming as velocity increases. The Swift A-Frame base section being thinner copper jacket expands supporting the mushroom. Neither of those bullets are quite as quick killing as the Partitions IMO which are not bonded core and the core is a little more brittle than pure lead as the 2 mentioned above. The Partition front core expands and depending on velocity and which partition might even shed all the front core if velocity is high enough resulting in secondary projectiles that do damage outside the main wound canal. The partition is designed to shed in most cases 30 to 40 percent of its weight but that 60 to 70 percent drives deep creating a long wound channel with secondary ones where the part of the core separated from it.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: 25.06 [Re: hoof n wings] #5948252 09/27/15 02:21 AM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
There is an optimum speed for most bullets depending on construction. Some bullets will say do not shoot over 3300 fps. Speed can have a poor effect on some thinner walled bullets at long range especially. A good read is Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting. It will go into more than I would right now but it is correct. Watch the guys that win and the speeds they shoot. If accuracy is the number one thing then there is something to be learned from them. Then it is practice practice practice.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: 25.06 [Re: hoof n wings] #5948256 09/27/15 02:22 AM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
If the bullet explodes it was designed to ( such as a varmit bullet) or was pushed too fast. If it exploded that would be maximum expansion. Show me one bullet design other then a solid that expands less as velocity increases. A portion may look like it hasn't expanded after it has lost the front half but it expanded. Even a fmj will fragment if impact velocity is too high.

Re: 25.06 [Re: Phantom] #5948261 09/27/15 02:27 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted By: brianl
There is an optimum speed for most bullets depending on construction. Some bullets will say do not shoot over 3300 fps. Speed can have a poor effect on some thinner walled bullets at long range especially. A good read is Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting. It will go into more than I would right now but it is correct. Watch the guys that win and the speeds they shoot. If accuracy is the number one thing then there is something to be learned from them. Then it is practice practice practice.

Very true and with some target bullets and varmint bullets and even some labeled as hunting bullets by one company push them faster than the recommended velocity and you just might see a blue vapor trail that might ot might not reach the target as the bullet disintegrates in flight.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: 25.06 [Re: kmon11] #5948263 09/27/15 02:30 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: kmon1

Very true and with some target bullets and varmint bullets and even some labeled as hunting bullets by one company push them faster than the recommended velocity and you just might see a blue vapor trail that might ot might not reach the target as the bullet disintegrates in flight.

X3

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 25.06 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5948280 09/27/15 02:40 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^Yup^^

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: 25.06 [Re: bo3] #5948293 09/27/15 02:49 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
If the bullet explodes it was designed to ( such as a varmit bullet) or was pushed too fast. If it exploded that would be maximum expansion. Show me one bullet design other then a solid that expands less as velocity increases. A portion may look like it hasn't expanded after it has lost the front half but it expanded. Even a fmj will fragment if impact velocity is too high.

That's right. But none of that was mentioned in your last post. Just pics or more expansion due to more velocity, thus the discussion of bullet construction. This also directly applies to ballistic coefficient (even though those are bad words to some people around here). IF, big if, someone wants a stong bullet to perform at distance then it needs to be moving faster at that distance. The way for it to be maintaining velocity down range is with BC.

That is where I see no problem with working the equation backwards. I want a stout bullet to perform at "X" distance. So it needs to be moving at "X" velocity at the muzzle and have a BC of "Y". That is why twice I have built a rifle around a bullet and the chambering to push that bullet the speed I wanted.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: 25.06 [Re: J.G.] #5948358 09/27/15 03:34 AM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

That's right. But none of that was mentioned in your last post. Just pics or more expansion due to more velocity, thus the discussion of bullet construction. This also directly applies to ballistic coefficient (even though those are bad words to some people around here). IF, big if, someone wants a stong bullet to perform at distance then it needs to be moving faster at that distance. The way for it to be maintaining velocity down range is with BC.

That is where I see no problem with working the equation backwards. I want a stout bullet to perform at "X" distance. So it needs to be moving at "X" velocity at the muzzle and have a BC of "Y". That is why twice I have built a rifle around a bullet and the chambering to push that bullet the speed I wanted.

I agree with everything you just said. I just found picture that I thought would explain it and put it up without enough explanation. I even agree with the bc stuff.

Re: 25.06 [Re: bo3] #5948480 09/27/15 11:26 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
cheers

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: 25.06 [Re: J.G.] #5948592 09/27/15 01:34 PM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Gotta' say this has been a very informative thread.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: 25.06 [Re: txtrophy85] #5948770 09/27/15 03:44 PM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
If people would spend time hunting and killing animals instead of worrying about B.C's and sectional densities they would be better off

ding ding we have a winner.
my biggest buck was killed with a turdy turdy open sights. that deer didnt know i wasnt using a high bc or sd bullet , he didnt know i didnt spend twice the rifle price for a scope either.

Re: 25.06 [Re: vanguard] #5948983 09/27/15 06:19 PM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: vanguard
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
If people would spend time hunting and killing animals instead of worrying about B.C's and sectional densities they would be better off

ding ding we have a winner.
my biggest buck was killed with a turdy turdy open sights. that deer didnt know i wasnt using a high bc or sd bullet , he didnt know i didnt spend twice the rifle price for a scope either.

whatever people hunt with practice is the key to everything. Hence why I am shoot a ton of arrows every evening getting ready for next week. No doubt we are splitting hairs on good better and best. I just think we can learn and share ideas to get better.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: 25.06 [Re: Slow Drifter] #5949277 09/27/15 10:21 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
Gotta' say this has
been a very informative thread.

Shhhh. Don't say that too loud.

Re: 25.06 [Re: Phantom] #5949377 09/27/15 11:39 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Whatever people hunt with, practice is the key to everything. Hence why I am shooting a ton of arrows every evening getting ready for next week. No doubt we are splitting hairs on good, better, and best. I just think we can learn and share ideas to get better.

EXACTLY

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: 25.06 [Re: hoof n wings] #5952023 09/29/15 01:06 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
The best bow hunter I have ever met has been practicing every day for over 30 years.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: 25.06 [Re: postoak] #5953467 09/30/15 01:34 AM
J
JJH Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
J
ing. These are the guys that will tell you a magnum round will go through an animal so fast it won't expand or some other myth.

postoak: any object moving through a medium encounters resistance to it's movement(think bullet thru air or bullet thru flesh). The resistance to the motion of the object increases with the square of the velocity. So a faster bullet actually encounters much more resistance. That's why your car gets better gas mileage at 50mph than at 80mph.

So when the bullet hits flesh at higher speed it encounters much higher resistance, which results in much faster expansion (BTW, the expansion is "helped" by the increased centrifugal force due to the higher rpm of bullets fired at higher velocities)

The expansion begins the instant the bullet encounters flesh. So the hypothesis that a bullet goes thru a deer so fast it doesn't have time to expand is truly incorrect.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide