Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: The Ultimate HF vs. LF Poll [Re: jshouse] #5931450 09/16/15 04:25 PM
Rob Lay Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: jshouse
but why does it bother you so much if someone lies about their fish? unless its costing you a place in a tournament or directly affects you in some way, why do you care what some random dude posts on a forum?

it usually isn't someone random, some guides are the worst and when they're lying about their clients fish for marketing purposes it is a disservice to their future clients and also all the other honest guides. I carry my own Cul-M-Rite on guide trips which I confirm yearly accurate to hundredth of pound. The only 10+ Largemouth I ever caught took to Oak Ridge to be certified at 12.18. It is so hard and special to catch a 10 pounder and should remain that way. In last 5 years I've caught about 20 accurate 8 pounders and 5 accurate 9 pounders. Some of the 9 pounders guide was saying "that is definitely a 10 pounder" until you weigh it.

I usually don't say anything if an individual. Pictures are so deceptive as you know, especially fish. I've had 8 pounders look like 6 pounders and 8 pounders like 12 pounders. I also think individuals have to sleep with their own lies. Commercial operations that lie and hurt others financially is another story.

All my game measurements are dry by official scorer, usually the result is 5-10% less than the green camp score.

Originally Posted By: jshouse
no doubt its top 3 and its funny how so many guys that are anti-HF and like to post about it also like to make sure everyone knows that ..."believe me, I could afford to hunt any HF I wanted to, but..."

I would agree it is top 3 and even #1 for most. you do see great deals on small cull deer HF, but nothing can beat a free public land hunt or a $800 lease. How big of HF deer can I get for price of my Dall and Stone Sheep hunts? I know Cody Malone was advertising a 300+ for $13k. I think everyone also realizes that big LF deer are more expensive inch for inch than HF deer if targeting that special deer and successful. Guys will easily pay over $20k for a Whitetail that will make book, much less 200 net.

One of the foundation attacks on LF guys like myself is we have a bigger ego, I wonder then why HF guys are so focused on the gigantic 180-300" deer? Is that simply because those HF deer with big racks taste better because they can't run around as fast. wink

Re: The Ultimate HF vs. LF Poll [Re: Rob Lay] #5931499 09/16/15 04:55 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
The only 10+ Largemouth I ever caught took to Oak Ridge to be certified at 12.18. It is so hard and special to catch a 10 pounder and should remain that way. In last 5 years I've caught about 20 accurate 8 pounders and 5 accurate 9 pounders.

You mean, its not the same as going to a stocked tank and catching 10 pounders all weekend long? shocked
Wait, that is kind of like hunting in a .......never mind!

Re: The Ultimate HF vs. LF Poll [Re: Rob Lay] #5931509 09/16/15 05:02 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I think there is a subset of all hunters that just have to compete on trophy size which can be argued separately from the HF/LF debate. Throw in trying to compare HF vs LF trophies takes it to another level. You can even extend the debate to wilderness vs managed populations. I really don't care about the arguments, because I hunt what I like, more than for particular size trophy. A mature animal, taken on poor ground with little trophy value, is just as satisfying to me as a true trophy. When hunting a particular cull buck within a herd of trophies, that cull becomes a trophy, because it's rarer than a true trophy.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: The Ultimate HF vs. LF Poll [Re: LuckyHunter] #5931624 09/16/15 06:32 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
Originally Posted By: MarkE
I'd rather just give up hunting and take up fishing exclusively if I had to hunt in pens. Put up the fence and go pretend to hunt....the hell with that.

What size fresh water compound do you fish? Do you use artificial bait, live bait, boat, fish only from shore, electronic fish locator, cane pole, use a net, 3 # line or 17# test, barbless hook? Just curious

I enjoy fishing too.

I use all methods while fishing in stocked tanks. I raise them up, catch'em, kill'em, and mount'em. I glorify my skills and abilities by displaying them in my trophy room. Sound stupid? Sound familiar? Are you that person? Wake up!

Since you are such a skilled fisherman, when does a stocked tank become a stocked lake? Is there a certain size? I too love to catch and eat fish. I do have a salmon I caught in a river in Alaska. Then again they were swimming up stream to lay their eggs. I guess that would not really be a trophy! O'well I thought it was. The brown bears sure liked them.

Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
The only 10+ Largemouth I ever caught took to Oak Ridge to be certified at 12.18. It is so hard and special to catch a 10 pounder and should remain that way. In last 5 years I've caught about 20 accurate 8 pounders and 5 accurate 9 pounders.

You mean, its not the same as going to a stocked tank and catching 10 pounders all weekend long? shocked
Wait, that is kind of like hunting in a .......never mind!

Still waiting for response 4 pages ago....sleep2

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: The Ultimate HF vs. LF Poll [Re: Rob Lay] #5931637 09/16/15 06:42 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Talk about fishing stock tanks, this brings back some memories when I was a teenager and me and by buddies used to hit up these "running" lakes in East Texas pulling 10lb bass out like they where nothing. I remember one lake a friend caught a 15+# what I believe they called a Cuban Hybrid largemouth in about a 10 acres pond. We broke a lot of lines on some real big fish. In comparison, I have never caught a bass over 5#'s in a large lake. We lost a few fishing polls and tackle boxes along the way and got a few scraps running through briars and over barbed wire fences, but it was fun. BTW, the statute of limitations is up for all you wannabe game wardens and Barnie Fifes.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: The Ultimate HF vs. LF Poll [Re: LuckyHunter] #5931737 09/16/15 07:45 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M

Just go back to sleep....try counting sheep jumping the fence. Oh wait, they can't jump the fence! frown

Salmon laying eggs, bears, size of stocked tank...yeah, I have no response. Sorry to keep you waiting. If you don't get the point, there is no reason to explain. You can't explain anything on here in 10 pages.

Last edited by MarkE; 09/16/15 07:51 PM.
Re: The Ultimate HF vs. LF Poll [Re: MarkE] #5931920 09/16/15 10:04 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L

Just go back to sleep....Try counting sheep jumping the fence. Oh wait, they can't jump the fence! frown

Salmon laying eggs, bears, size of stocked tank...yeah, I have no response. Sorry to keep you waiting. If you don't get the point, there is no reason to explain. You can't explain anything on here in 10 pages.

You're funny. I guess because I hunt both sides it only counts if it pleases you. rofl

Once again you dodge the question... with a sleight of hand.... ... Throw out an insult....My question to you was about your comparison of fishing a tank to hf. Therefore once again what is the difference between a stock tank and a stocked lake? What size difference has been established in your mind. 1 acre, 10 acres 100 acres. Where do you draw the line on "fair chase fishing" My guess is you have an agenda of condemnation!

Oh by the way I don't need to count sheep to sleep my freedom of choice lets me sleep just fine. Wow America is great.

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide