Forum Stats
60397 Members
45 Forums
475405 Topics
6236741 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5928171 - 09/14/15 01:58 PM Birds so thick you could walk on them.
HuntnFly67 Online   content
Extreme Tracker

OK, I was thinking this could either go here or in the OT's Tall Tales and Yarns Section.

Quick background, I have heard the story for years, it never changes, but I never gave it any weight. The story came up again in conversation over the weekend with Dad and my uncle so thought y'all might appreciate it.

Story goes that my father, uncle and grandfather hunted the rice fields of Matagorda County (I do NOT doubt this part of the story as photographic evidence corroborates that they hunted a rice farm at least twice) in 'the good ol' days' (circa late 50s to early 1960s) when hunting was 'sooo much better than what it is today.' rolleyes

Teal limits were evidently pretty liberal, if there were any at all back then. If, in fact, there were actually harvest limits, I am pretty comfortable telling this story as I am sure the statute of limitations has expired.

One hunt in particular, the hunting was soooo incredible that the trio all ran out of ammunition and boast a very high double-digit tally on the morning in question - the number of birds downed never varies - had they not run out of ammo, I have no doubt the three could have hit triple digits before lunch. "The teal were as thick as the mosquitos on that particular morning." yawn OK.

Fine. Y'all's hunt. My grandfather knew what it was to be hungry during the Depression and its not my place to judge them as he hunted for not just sustenance but existence in the old days.

This is where I doubt find the story hard to believe. My dad swears that on his last shot he got a true flying double - plausible - but he is prone to exaggeration. Maybe it wasn't his last shot of the day - or maybe they were already sitting in the flooded rice. 50 years later, its your story, Dad - you re-remember it how you want. up Whatever.

Here is what I have always heard about this hunt, but no one ever believes. I need some THF help if they have ever heard of such. Please keep in mind that Dad, Uncle and Grandfather, who passed away 20+ years ago, all swear to this: MY GRANDFATHER STUCK THE BUTT OF HIS SHOTGUN IN THE AIR, A TEAL FLEW INTO THE BUTT OF THE GUN AND KILLED ITSELF D-E-A-D dead.

Even if my 'Big Dad' swung at it like Babe Ruth, I suppose the impact of the butt of a Stevens 20 ga pump could end a teal, but really?

I have had birds 'land on me' in my 30+ years of waterfowling, but not sure I have been buzzed close enough to where I could hold the barrel of a gun up and swat one out of the sky. What say y'all? I am grateful that the times I have heard the story, I am pretty sure I was wearing boots. grin

#5928182 - 09/14/15 02:02 PM Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67]
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua

Loc: Texas
sounds plausible to me doubting Thomas

#5928193 - 09/14/15 02:05 PM Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: #Hayraker]
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: #Hayraker
sounds plausible to me doubting Thomas

Is it weird that Thomas is a middle name of 1 of the 3 in the story? clap

#5928199 - 09/14/15 02:06 PM Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67]
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Texas
I have shot many a double Teal hunting, so It isn't hard to believe your dad doubled on the last shot at all. Heck, last season I killed 5 BWT with my first shot on one hunt. The duck running into the shotgun thing is hard to believe, but I suppose it is possible. I would think that Teal are quick enough to swerve around the gun if he truly just stuck it up in the air and didn't swing it. Stories like that are fun, but of course the hunt seems to always get better and better as time goes on. grin

#5928352 - 09/14/15 03:44 PM Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67]
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Columbus / Garwood
I'm gonna go ahead and give em props.

I've been in flooded rice quite a bit and have had those teal jukin, buzzin, zig-zaggin, and a whippin into the rice. When you are sitting on the bottom of a levee it's not that rare that a teal will fly right next to you, especially when it's early light. I remember reading in an older DU magazine that a bluebill flew into a man and broke his nose. I could see a teal hitting a black barrel...they aren't the smartest ya know.

One big group comes in, it's not that tough to get a double. Saw it happen a couple times over the years.

True or false, nobody really knows I guess.

#5928373 - 09/14/15 03:55 PM Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67]
nsmike Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: MN
I know for a fact that ducks sometimes run into things and kill themselves. I spooked a flock of mallards off a small woods pond, they kept flying low because an eagle was soaring along the river about a quarter mile away, one ran into a limb of a dead snag and dropped like a rock. While I was making up my mind about seeing if I could find the mallard the eagle swooped down into the woods near rhe snag. I now laugh about having been a bird dog for an eagle.

#5928396 - 09/14/15 04:08 PM Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: TTUhunter4]
Greekangler Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: North Tejas
Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
I have shot many a double Teal hunting, so It isn't hard to believe your dad doubled on the last shot at all. Heck, last season I killed 5 BWT with my first shot on one hunt. The duck running into the shotgun thing is hard to believe, but I suppose it is possible. I would think that Teal are quick enough to swerve around the gun if he truly just stuck it up in the air and didn't swing it. Stories like that are fun, but of course the hunt seems to always get better and better as time goes on. grin

We had 2 doubles on one shot on one pass this weekend- not uncommon decoying BWT

as far as rest of story- anything is possible when a moving target hits something still

Take a kid Huntin

#5928402 - 09/14/15 04:10 PM Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67]
Erichugh22 Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Duck blind
I killed 5 in 3 shots before, so 2 in 1 is very believable, I've done that a couple of times. And I could see it happening where one flies into a barrel, I saw one whack a power line by a pond I hunt.

#5928408 - 09/14/15 04:15 PM Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67]
TexasEd Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Cedar Park, Texas
I'm betting the story got better as the amount of beer and years passed.

Why would you doubt them?

#5928470 - 09/14/15 04:57 PM Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: TexasEd]
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: TexasEd
I'm betting the story got better as the amount of beer and years passed.

Why would you doubt them?

I think I exaggerated my skepticism of the story more for entertainment value and had some fun just typing it up. However, I was curious if anyone else on here has literally smacked a teal. ...and please note that I did strike through doubt.

Edited by HuntnFly67 (09/14/15 05:01 PM)

#5928563 - 09/14/15 05:57 PM Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67]
pervis Offline
Tracker

There's a video on YouTube of some guys going to a duck hole in a sxs it's dark and there's so many ducks flying they're literally flying right into the guys and hitting the sxs. It was a good video. I Wana say the title was duck hunting helmet required or something like that.

#5928594 - 09/14/15 06:21 PM Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67]
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Terlingua,TX

Snows arkansas

#5929053 - 09/14/15 10:43 PM Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67]
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Abilene, TX
Cool story!

We went one morning to set up at our normal hole. When we got out of the truck we thought we were hearing a train. We shined our lights out over the water to see thousands of ducks taking flight. As we walked down the bank we were kicking up ducks out of the weeds. No doubt I could have hit one with a tennis racket. We just sat there starring in the sky with our lights. I'll never forget that.

Edited by BradyBuck (09/14/15 10:43 PM)

32 - BWT
11 - GWT
2 - Black Bellied Whistlers
10 - Gaddies
1 - Mallard
1 - Pintail

#5929204 - 09/15/15 07:14 AM Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: Erichugh22]
Greekangler Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: North Tejas
Originally Posted By: Erichugh22
I killed 5 in 3 shots before, so 2 in 1 is very believable, I've done that a couple of times. And I could see it happening where one flies into a barrel, I saw one whack a power line by a pond I hunt.

Yes- did that on opening last year- dog found 5th bird. Didn't even see it hit. Seem to get more multiples w tighter chokes

Take a kid Huntin

#5929210 - 09/15/15 07:21 AM Re: Birds so thick you could walk on them. [Re: HuntnFly67]
poisonivie Online   happy

Loc: Bridgeport, Tx
Mind yer manners and respect yer elders, kiddo. Dad's always right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide