Print Thread
Mannlicher-Schoenauer brush gun #5926207 09/13/15 02:19 PM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
I have always wanted to try out a Mannlicher-Schoenauer but gee those things are pricey in any kind of shape.

But at the annual gun show here, I found a converted military MS that looked OK and was not out of my price range. It has a few deficiencies but I decided to try to work around all that.

Click to enlarge:

Somebody polished it up and put in a Fajen stock, long ago. They had a little compass inletted into the buttstock. It came with Leupold mounts and a Redfield 2-7 "widefield" scope from the era with both ends shaped like an old CRT TV screen. - I took all of that off so that I could use the Williams iron sights and best take advantage of the little guns handling qualities.

A little research revealed that this gun was from the last MS contract with the Greek government, and was later sporterized. It still has the military two-stage trigger, and it's not so bad for one of those. The barrel is 17.7 inches long, and looks very good under the bore-scope, with no wear or corrosion evident.

Guns like this, chambered in 6.5x54 are popular in Europe for the same kind of hunting situations that we Americans might pick up a 30-30 lever gun for. - Deer or pig hunting at under 200 yards.

With the scope removed, it is almost but not quite as handy as a Winchester model 94.

There has been some splitting in the stock, as I discovered when I tried to remove the stock to read the mfg date data on the bottom of the barrel. Somebody addressed this problem by literally gluing the action into the stock with epoxy.

I fixed a crack coming back from the tang with a small drill and a toothpick. First I drilled a hole at the end of the crack, then I mixed up some bedding epoxy. The toothpick was nipped on each end to make a small dowel pin, which I epoxied in. Then I forced epoxy into the crack, which was just slightly over hair-thin.

The next morning I filed down the dowel, applied stain, and then gave the area a once-over with Tru-Oil. I'll give it a few days to dry and then give it another application of Tru-Oil to finish it up.

I am not sure if I will keep the gun for more than a year or so. If it turns out to be accurate enough, I might keep it as it really is a joy to handle, and the action is very smooth, a lot like a Krag.

Most likely I'll look around to see if there is a ghost-ring type peep sight that I can mount on it.

Meanwhile, it's fun to handle and look at. I'm looking forward to shooting it, it came with two boxes of ammo and a set of dies.

It will probably wind up being up for sale - but not until after I've had a chance to shoot it a little. No way I'm going to own one of these without popping it off a few times, and no way am I going to sell something without making sure that it works OK... ( Hand over heart, pious expression )

Last edited by charlesb; 09/13/15 02:25 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Mannlicher-Schoenauer brush gun [Re: charlesb] #5926412 09/13/15 04:59 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Nice rifle.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Mannlicher-Schoenauer brush gun [Re: charlesb] #5926744 09/13/15 09:05 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Great little light weight rifles in a classic old cartridge. The way those guns handle and as slick as the action it, you will most likely keep it for a long time. Have one that is a beater with the stock having been repaired where it broke at the wrist but put together with bedding compound it is straight and works, that buttery smooth action is a joy to operate. It is not the MS1903 I would love to own but it is a good little shooter.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Mannlicher-Schoenauer brush gun [Re: charlesb] #5927311 09/14/15 02:50 AM
C
charlesb Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
I am assuming that the heavier, longer bullets will work out best.

As light as it is, the gun does not have much recoil. I'm hoping to shoot it more, soon. The open sights appear to be more or less sighted-in, though I would guess some tweaking will be required.

I definitely like the gun better without the scope. Maybe I can finagle a whitetail or pig hunt this year.

Last edited by charlesb; 09/14/15 08:53 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Mannlicher-Schoenauer brush gun [Re: charlesb] #5927450 09/14/15 03:58 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
The 140s and round nose 165s shoot fine from them.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Mannlicher-Schoenauer brush gun [Re: charlesb] #5928589 09/14/15 11:19 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
THAT'un could be a blast to play with. Keep me in mind when the time comes up
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide