Page 1 of 2 1 2
Good barrel cam for wing shooting? #5924257 09/11/15 08:06 PM
J
Jungleexplorer Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Anyone know of a good barrel cam for wing shooting? I have a Go Pro, but the wide angle lens makes the birds look like mosquitoes that are a hundred yards away. I would like a cam that would give more of a zoomed view of the bird. Anything like this out there?

I'm sorry for my sins Jesus, please forgive me.

https://sorryformysins.com/

Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: Jungleexplorer] #5924335 09/11/15 08:55 PM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
you should hire a camera guy, its the only way to go...barrel cams are so 2009

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: garrett] #5926788 09/13/15 09:41 PM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted By: garrett
you should hire a camera guy, its the only way to go...barrel cams are so 2009

I am not sure if you are joking, or are you just that rich? LOL! It reminds me of what Queen Marie Antoinette said demonstrating her extreme disconnect from common people. When she was told her people were starving for lack of bread, she said, "Well, let them eat cake".

Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: Jungleexplorer] #5927106 09/14/15 01:22 AM
P
poisonivie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
He has a large albeit, poor, sense of humor smile

Pee on Photobucket
Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: Jungleexplorer] #5927265 09/14/15 02:25 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
shotkam

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: Jungleexplorer] #5927758 09/14/15 02:18 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I use my GoPro 3+ Black on UHD Narrow. I use the clamp mount and clamp it on the Plug Screw. Has worked pretty good so far for dove this season. Helps me to remember to follow through on the shot also.

Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: Greekangler] #5927876 09/14/15 03:37 PM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted By: Greekangler
shotkam

I was looking at the shotkam yesterday. Seems like a good idea, but all the videos I watched of it in use were really poor. The quality was horrible and they were all in slow motion with the horrible sound. I watched a video from the inventor and it appears the shotkam's primary purpose is as a shooting learning device, to show a wing or trap shooter what they are doing wrong. It's an ingenuous device to say the least. If I could see an example of high quality video that is not in slow motion and has good sound, I might consider it.

Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: Jungleexplorer] #5927894 09/14/15 03:46 PM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Personally, I don't think videos shot with a camera on the barrel are worth a darn. The video is all shaky, the gun jumps when you shoot, and the ducks looks super far away. I hate to say it, but I agree with Garrett. Get someone to record with a real camera, or don't record.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal."
Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: Jungleexplorer] #5927982 09/14/15 04:49 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have a "Lid Cam" that I've used several times dove hunting and the video was pretty good.

Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: Jungleexplorer] #5928186 09/14/15 07:03 PM
#
#Hayraker Online Happy
Chihuahua
Online Happy
Chihuahua
#
I hire a courtroom sketch artist for all of my hunts.

#sigline
Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: DocHorton] #5929060 09/15/15 03:51 AM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted By: DocHorton
I have a "Lid Cam" that I've used several times dove hunting and the video was pretty good.

Thanks. I have looked at some videos made with the lid cam of wing shots. It's pretty nice, but not a whole lot different then what I am getting with my gopro with my head strap. The youtube videos I watched were not the best, but I blame the hunters and video editors for that. I find that most of the cameras can do a decent job if the hunter has the presence of mind to remember they are filming while hunting. I bought a cheap GoPro knock off (SJ4000) for $60 because it had a 4X digital zoom and wifi. Gave it a try this weekend. Tried mounting it to my barrel with a bicycle mount (came with the camera) but the mount was unstable and could not handle the recoil and the camera would end up point up after each shot. Here is a video I made.

SJ4000 Texas Dove Hunting Demo

I also won an ebay auction for Campark HD Waterproof Sports Rifle Camera. Got it for $37, but it's coming from overseas, so it won't be here for two to 4 weeks. The camera is shaped like a tactical flashlight and it came with a mount to attache it directly to the barrel in a much more secure way then any of the gopro mounts I have looked at. I make a video review of it when it gets here, hopefully before the end of dove season. Here is a picture of it.

Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: TTUhunter4] #5929197 09/15/15 12:08 PM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
Personally, I don't think videos shot with a camera on the barrel are worth a darn. The video is all shaky, the gun jumps when you shoot, and the ducks looks super far away. I hate to say it, but I agree with Garrett. Get someone to record with a real camera, or don't record.

Or put a camera on tripod and roll w it. Best videos are w assistance

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: Greekangler] #5929311 09/15/15 01:30 PM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Greekangler
Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4

Or put a camera on tripod and roll w it. Best videos are w assistance

yeah I wasnt joking, get someone to man a camera...its hard looking like a hero wing shooter when you only have crap videos on youtube

if your gonna be a bear, be a grizzly up

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: Jungleexplorer] #5929509 09/15/15 03:16 PM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Okay. Let's get this out of the way because there seems to be a little confusion about what my question was in the OP. The problem here is that I did not ask " How do I produce a high quality professional hunting video?". My was question was, "Anyone know of a good barrel cam for wing shooting?"

There is no question that hiring a professional videographer with thousands of dollars of equipment to film your hunt will produce a high quality video. No one here is trying to argue against this. I am not sure why some people on here seem to want to fight in favor of a point that no one is arguing against. I don't think anyone here would be stupid enough to disagree with this point and the fact that you keep pushing this, abundantly obvious to anyone who has a brain, point; can only mean that you think the rest of us are stupid. I find that a little insulting, not only to me, but also for the rest of the people that have commented here and kept on topic. So, for those of you that seem to want to push this point (even though it is not the subject of this thread); YOU WIN! You are right! happy3 cheerleader partyon555

Now, please quit insulting the rest of us and either stay on topic or don't comment at all. Thank you.

Last edited by Jungleexplorer; 09/15/15 03:19 PM.

Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: Jungleexplorer] #5929519 09/15/15 03:20 PM
A
Astater Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
I've been thinking about one of these...anyone have any experience?

https://usa.ioncamera.com/camocam/

Last edited by Astater; 09/15/15 03:22 PM.

The things we do for ducks...
NRA Life Member
Arkansas Game and Fish Commission Lifetime License/Member
Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: Jungleexplorer] #5929527 09/15/15 03:31 PM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Jungleexplorer
Okay. Let's get this out of the way because there seems to be a little confusion about what my question was in the OP. The problem here is that I did not ask " How do I produce a high quality professional hunting video?". My was question was, "Anyone know of a good barrel cam for wing shooting?"

There is no question that hiring a professional videographer with thousands of dollars of equipment to film your hunt will produce a high quality video. No one here is trying to argue against this. I am not sure why some people on here seem to want to fight in favor of a point that no one is arguing against. I don't think anyone here would be stupid enough to disagree with this point and the fact that you keep pushing this, abundantly obvious to anyone who has a brain, point; can only mean that you think the rest of us are stupid. I find that a little insulting, not only to me, but also for the rest of the people that have commented here and kept on topic. So, for those of you that seem to want to push this point (even though it is not the subject of this thread); YOU WIN! You are right! happy3 cheerleader partyon555

Now, please quit insulting the rest of us and either stay on topic or don't comment at all. Thank you.

I guess your not interested in being a grizzly confused2

Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: Jungleexplorer] #5929585 09/15/15 04:13 PM
W
waterfowlwonders Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
I agree with you on the Go-Pro. Not good for wingshooting.

This one looks interesting. Watch the dove video. Seems to work pretty well.

https://tactacam.com/

Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: Jungleexplorer] #5929622 09/15/15 04:38 PM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
You don't have to hire a pro to record you. Get a buddy to come along and take turns recording/hunting. Not that complicated.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal."
Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: Jungleexplorer] #5929757 09/15/15 05:54 PM
#
#Hayraker Online Happy
Chihuahua
Online Happy
Chihuahua
#
Or you could just enjoy a hunt while it's happening and not worry about video.

#sigline
Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: #Hayraker] #5929799 09/15/15 06:23 PM
garrett Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: #Hayraker

you clearly dont understand the younger generation, its all about selfies and look at me

Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: #Hayraker] #5929809 09/15/15 06:27 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
I hire a courtroom sketch artist for all of my hunts.

clap

Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: Jungleexplorer] #5929857 09/15/15 06:59 PM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J

The Ion Camocam looks nice. It takes some nice video with good sound. The problem I see with it, from my perceptive, is that it has an even wider angle fish eye lens then the GoPro. The standard gopro has a 170 degree fish eye lens, where has the camocam has a 180 degree fish eye lens. I am just not sure why they design these cameras that are intended to be used on guns with a fish eye lens.

Here are a couple of videos of the camocam in action. In the trap shooting video, yuo cannot even see the clays. In the archery video you can barley make out the target. It does not say in the specs anywhere that it is any king of zoom capabilities, so you are pretty much stuck with a 180 degree field of view.

Ion Camocam Trap shooting
Ion Camocam Archery

Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: #Hayraker] #5929881 09/15/15 07:13 PM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J

Or you could enjoy doing both. If you read my profile, you will see that I list photography as one of my interest. I am just having fun here. I enjoy hunting and now I enjoy making my own videos (New hobby for my). I have hunted for almost 50 years from the Artic Circle to the Amazon jungle. I figure I should start videoing some of it for that day when my old body wins the war with my young mind and I am confined to a chair. At least then I will have something decent to watch instead of this garbage that is on TV these days.

Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: Jungleexplorer] #5929902 09/15/15 07:27 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
ATN Shot Trak, 5X magnification

I have an extra BNIB you can have for $120

Re: Good barrel cam for wing shooting? [Re: garrett] #5929903 09/15/15 07:28 PM
J
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted By: garrett
I guess your not interested in being a grizzly confused2

No. I shoot and eat grizzlys. LOL! Except for that one that charged me when I was camped out by a river up in the Northwest Territories of Canada back in the 90s. That one got away because I did not have my gun in my hand. Stupid thing almost trampled me. Turns out it was not charging me. It was running scared because I had knocked over my coffee pot over and it scared him. That would have been a great time to be wearing a GoPro though. LOL. After I changed my undies, I back tracked him and took this pic of his paw print.

Here are some pics I took of the Aurora Borealis the night before in this same spot.

Last edited by Jungleexplorer; 09/15/15 07:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide