Forums46
Topics537,695
Posts9,727,870
Members87,033
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? #5918066 09/08/15 02:58 PM
T
Theringworm Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
First off, I did not post this in the "guided hunting" section because I would like to limit the odds of the guides answering this but rather have the "paying customer/us" answer it. I know it has been discussed before and I have looked at those discussions. My approach is a little different, so here goes. The question is:

HOW MUCH DO YOU TIP YOUR HUNTING GUIDE?

Now here is the scenario and only answer regarding this scenario if you will since this is the main question I want an answer for.

Assuming the following:
1) Your guide busted his/her rear end day in and day out for everyday of the paid trip to get you on an animal to shoot. (I will not factor successfully killing an animal into this equation b/c to me a guaranteed kill hunt, isn't hunting to me. I digress)
2) The guide was knowledgable, courteous, respectful and honest.
3) Everything described in the hunt or by the guide was done and/or met leaving you not wanting for anything more.

Now, simply reply how much you would tip for the following "made up guided hunt scenarios" that met the above expectations. I will provide the type of game animal, location and cost of the hunt. All I want in your reply is the amount you would tip the guide based on all of the above factors. (I understand there are cooks, helpers, etc that also are normally tipped but I don't have a question about them).

HOW MUCH DO YOU TIP YOUR HUNTING GUIDE FOR:

1) 4 Day Fully Guided Trophy Aoudad Hunt in West Texas $3,000.00
2) 5 Day Fully Guided Trophy Bull Elk Hunt in the Gila, New Mexico $10,000
3) 5 Day Fully Guided Trophy Red Stag Hunt in New Zealand $15,000
4) 10 Day Fully Guided Trophy Brown Bear Hunt in Kodiak Island, Alaska $30,000
5) 7 Day Fully Guided African Game Hunt, animals totally in at $55,000.

Thanks guys/gals. I am just trying to see what is appropriate since I will be going on my first guided hunt this year and I don't want to be ill informed or prepared to pay what is the norm. Thank you kindly.

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5918094 09/08/15 03:16 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
1. $500
2. $1,000
3. $1,500
4. $3,000
5. Never been to Africa, but probably 15% for the entire crew, adjusted per the exchange rate.

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5918535 09/08/15 07:45 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
I'm both a guide and been guided... Including Africa. I'd tip 10% in all these scenarios. In Africa the PH will distribute to the crew. I also tend to leave behind some gear in Africa, especially for the trackers. Things like quality hunting boots, knives, range finders, sunglasses and even bino's can be hard to come by and are often more appreciated than cash.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5918645 09/08/15 08:51 PM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully more will chime in. I was actually thinking about the gear thing. I just didn't know if someone would be upset by being given gear (new like and well taken care of) instead of cash.

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5918653 09/08/15 08:55 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Originally Posted By: Theringworm
Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully more will chime in. I was actually thinking about the gear thing. I just didn't know if someone would be upset by being given gear (new like and well taken care of) instead of cash.

I threw the gear in as a bonus with the cash tip. Wouldn't have felt right just leaving gear in lieu of a tip. I'm sure more guys will chime in. We got a pretty good mix of generous guys as well as some skin flints...

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: dkershen] #5918661 09/08/15 09:00 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
10% cash plus some gear in Africa - nice knife,etc. Have also done the same in the states - cash plus gear - I like the personal touch of adding gear in.

You can't fix stupid
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5918664 09/08/15 09:03 PM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Guides usually have all the gear they would need. I'm appreciative of what I get, but I have received tons of knives, bipods, 2 rifles, etc. that have been given over the years. Its a nice gesture. Quite honestly I would have rather just been given a handshake and a thank you. I would advise to give money for the tip and let them put it to use where they need it the most. It's nice to have that extra $30 from the tip when you have to get a flat fixed or need stuff to repair equipment or to get the kids something to eat after school. The rifles got sold. The bipods put in the barn until I need them. The knives, well I have a drawer full of them at times.

I'm going on a first time bear trip next year in BC with my daughter and my father. I plan on tipping with cash.

Last edited by Curtis; 09/08/15 09:04 PM.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5918721 09/08/15 09:26 PM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
When I mentioned gear, it's value would always be more than what the tip would be even if he resold it and I would only consider it if what I had was better than theirs and/or they could benefit from having it. Otherwise, correct, I would add cash along with the gear as suggested. I agree it is a nice personal touch. I am sure most guides have nicer stuff than I'll ever have but I know that some do not and might appreciate it.

Great suggestions.

Sounds like roughly 10% is the consensus thus far.

Thanks again.

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5918798 09/08/15 10:18 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Yep, 10%. I don't remember you mentioning Africa in your immediate plans, but 10% of the daily rate is the norm for the PH alone. Trackers, skinners, and camp staff are on top of that. As alluded to above, guides and trackers are drowning in knives. Don't sweat gifts to take. It's more trouble than it's worth it to them. If you're in a third world country, maybe leave/pass out any of the clothes you can live with out, especially footwear. Otherwise, just about everywhere "cash is king"; these men are trying to feed families.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5918824 09/08/15 10:38 PM
T
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Those were just made up trips for the most part. Only the aoudad hunt and red stag are real. However, those trips are on the bucket list. Besides, I am going with you to Africa so when I know you will know. peep

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5918852 09/08/15 10:54 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Excellent.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5918927 09/08/15 11:45 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
typically 10% to the guide and separate tip for the camp cook

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5918932 09/08/15 11:49 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
10-20% plus gear amongst the crew,

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5918935 09/08/15 11:51 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
In addition to my original post,

10% is an average tip for most hunts in excess of $1,000. Consider more if you received amazing service. 15% for hard work, outstanding hunting and great company, 20%+ in exceptional circumstances.

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5919945 09/09/15 03:49 PM
J
Jay Brown Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Most of the PH's have it stated in their brochure or on line info what is the suggested minimum.

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5920545 09/09/15 08:54 PM
M
MarkE Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
I rarely base tips off of a percentage. It’s never really made sense to me. Sometimes a >20% tip is appropriate and sometimes <5% is appropriate.

Let’s say you go to a restaurant with a friend and get separate checks. Your friend gets a club sandwich for $5.00 and you get a lobster and steak for $50.00. Assuming you both tip 20%, the club sandwich tip costs $1.00 while the lobster/steak tip costs $10. That is just stupid; it makes no difference in regard to labor for the waiter. Same for hunting.

I know yall will like this one……Let’s say a Yankee comes down to sit in a blind and shoot a guided, “pay per inch” whitetail deer in a pen and it costs him $15K vs. a guided sheep hunt in Alaska for $15K. BIG difference there……every situation is different.

NOTE: In most circumstances, tipping on the generous side usually works out in your favor.

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: fouzman] #5920559 09/09/15 09:03 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: fouzman
1. $500
2. $1,000
3. $1,500
4. $3,000
5. Never been to Africa, but probably 15% for the entire crew, adjusted per the exchange rate.

Right on the money for me too.

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: MarkE] #5920656 09/09/15 09:51 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: MarkE
I rarely base tips off of a percentage. It’s never really made sense to me. Sometimes a >20% tip is appropriate and sometimes <5% is appropriate.

Let’s say you go to a restaurant with a friend and get separate checks. Your friend gets a club sandwich for $5.00 and you get a lobster and steak for $50.00. Assuming you both tip 20%, the club sandwich tip costs $1.00 while the lobster/steak tip costs $10. That is just stupid; it makes no difference in regard to labor for the waiter. Same for hunting.

I know yall will like this one……Let’s say a Yankee comes down to sit in a blind and shoot a guided, “pay per inch” whitetail deer in a pen and it costs him $15K vs. a guided sheep hunt in Alaska for $15K. BIG difference there……every situation is different.

NOTE: In most circumstances, tipping on the generous side usually works out in your favor.

this brings up a pet peeve of mine - not to do with hunting but just in general - go into a restaurant like Lubys - self serve buffet - sit down and eat - a person (who is actually there to bus the tables) ask if you need anything? No I do not - I just walked away from a buffet picking everything I wanted.

So there is literally no service given - but I still tip her because I feel like I am suppose to. I will tip and tip well when I receive a service that deserves tipping - but I do not think the customer is responsible to provide the salary for the business owners employees - Am I wrong to feel that way?

You can't fix stupid
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: tlk] #5921770 09/10/15 01:55 PM
K
kdkane1971 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: tlk
Originally Posted By: MarkE

this brings up a pet peeve of mine - not to do with hunting but just in general - go into a restaurant like Lubys - self serve buffet - sit down and eat - a person (who is actually there to bus the tables) ask if you need anything? No I do not - I just walked away from a buffet picking everything I wanted.

So there is literally no service given - but I still tip her because I feel like I am suppose to. I will tip and tip well when I receive a service that deserves tipping - but I do not think the customer is responsible to provide the salary for the business owners employees - Am I wrong to feel that way?

I look at it like this...that dollar for the busser will probably mean way more to them than it does to me, so why not leave them a little something if they are friendly and at least took the time to ask if they could possibly get you something.

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5921775 09/10/15 01:59 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
theringworm - Thanks ever so much for starting this. There's a thread about tipping on another forum that's been going on for years.

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: tlk] #5921807 09/10/15 02:35 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

I try like heck to remember everything at Luby's. But when I don't, and have to ask them to bring me something, I leave a dollar or two. My concentration going through the line usually gets broken by some elderly person behind me, bumping my tray, sighing, and acting like they haven't eaten in weeks. And sometimes, when there's a home-school mom in front of me, asking each one of her 6+ kids with her what they each want, I AM that old person, again - concentration broken.

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Creekrunner] #5921863 09/10/15 03:22 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

I try like heck to remember everything at Luby's. But when I don't, and have to ask them to bring me something, I leave a dollar or two. My concentration going through the line usually gets broken by some elderly person behind me, bumping my tray, sighing, and acting like they haven't eaten in weeks. And sometimes, when there's a home-school mom in front of me, asking each one of her 6+ kids with her what they each want, I AM that old person, again - concentration broken.

LOL very true - what the heck - I will keep tipping at Lubys

You can't fix stupid
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5921906 09/10/15 03:38 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
1) 4 Day Fully Guided Trophy Aoudad Hunt in West Texas $3,000.00 ($600 guide, $100 cook, $100 skinner, $1,000 bonus 30"+)
2) 5 Day Fully Guided Trophy Bull Elk Hunt in the Gila, New Mexico $10,000 ($2,000)
3) 5 Day Fully Guided Trophy Red Stag Hunt in New Zealand $15,000 ($2,500)
4) 10 Day Fully Guided Trophy Brown Bear Hunt in Kodiak Island, Alaska $30,000 ($4,500)

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5922360 09/10/15 08:18 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I say 10%, some of you guys have way more spare money than I do. If the guide owns the outfitting biz then don't tip at all, he's already making money from the hunt fee. At least that's what I've been told by a couple of owners.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Stompy] #5922399 09/10/15 08:37 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: Stompy
I say 10%, some of you guys have way more spare money than I do. If the guide owns the outfitting biz then don't tip at all, he's already making money from the hunt fee. At least that's what I've been told by a couple of owners.

I don't think owners should be put off if not getting extra tips, maybe guides, cooks, and skinners if not a little. however, I spend a bunch of money to go hunting, most of it opportunity cost with my time, so I have found over the years healthy tipping goes a long ways.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide