Forums46
Topics537,980
Posts9,731,395
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Rob Lay] #5922483 09/10/15 09:14 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
Originally Posted By: Stompy
I say 10%, some of you guys have way more spare money than I do. If the guide owns the outfitting biz then don't tip at all, he's already making money from the hunt fee. At least that's what I've been told by a couple of owners.

I don't think owners should be put off if not getting extra tips, maybe guides, cooks, and skinners if not a little. however, I spend a bunch of money to go hunting, most of it opportunity cost with my time, so I have found over the years healthy tipping goes a long ways.

Very long ways cheers

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5922507 09/10/15 09:29 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I tip my guide in pepperidge farm cookies

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5922871 09/11/15 12:22 AM
T
Theringworm Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Well, at the very least I won't be "that guy" in a negative light anyways. I have a generous heart I feel so I think I'll do the right thing when it comes time. Just needed an idea of where to start. Much appreciated.

Last edited by Theringworm; 09/11/15 01:21 AM.
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5923043 09/11/15 01:41 AM
240z Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I normally tip the usual 15%, but the last guided hunt I went on unknown to me until the first morning of a three day hunt that my guide was a female. But she was tough as nails, when She knocked on the cabin door to tell me breakfast was ready, it was 4 am. and 28 degrees outside with blowing snow she was dressed in a camouflage halter top and matching Daisy Duke camo shorts.
She didn't know a lot about hunting or field dressing a deer. It took her a hour to gut the small doe I shot.
But I enjoyed watching her all bent over circling the doe trying to figure out where to start cutting.

I tipped her equal to the price of the hunt,

Harley Davidson Motorcycles.....the most efficent way to convert gasoline into noise, without the side effects of Horsepower.
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5923074 09/11/15 01:56 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I tip generously based on effort, not result. I start at 10% of the hunt cost and usually go up from there. I have been lucky with great guides.

I would not tip a "guide" who's job is simply to drive the truck and sit with me the same as a western or Alaskan guide who often literally has my life in his hands.

"Guide" covers a lot of ground in the hunting arena.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Stompy] #5923148 09/11/15 02:37 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I say 10%, some of you guys have way more spare money than I do. If the guide owns the outfitting biz then don't tip at all, he's already making money from the hunt fee. At least that's what I've been told by a couple of owners.

So if the owner has you on his property, guides you, skins and quarters your deer for you then you wouldn't tip him?

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5923165 09/11/15 02:46 AM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
10 to 20%.....

Plus a gift. A personal gift always seems to be well received.

Sometimes I've given my binoculars or scope off my rifle after the hunt if they are an upgrade to guide, maybe a custom skinning knife I had made before the hunt. Something personal from me to say thank you.

Lucky 7 Exotic Ranch located in Eden, Tx. Well managed self sustaining herds roaming our 3,000 acre ranch. First Class Lodging, Ranch style meals and qualified guides. 30+ species.
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5923169 09/11/15 02:50 AM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Well I am not going to bs you or myself on this one. The only hunt on that list I might consider is number two. The first one I sure as heck wouldn't pay a dime for much less tip for. In fact I wouldn't make the drive to kill one if the hunt was free. The other three I can't afford and have no desire to do.

So assuming I could afford the Gila trophy elk hunt, had a house where I could put a trophy elk mount and could go there would be a 15% or better tip involved. If it were a wilderness camp trip I would likely tip the guide, cook and outfitter all individually with the cook and the guide getting the heavier consideration.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #5923627 09/11/15 02:21 PM
S
Stompy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

So if the owner has you on his property, guides you, skins and quarters your deer for you then you wouldn't tip him?

No, he's already getting paid through the cost of the hunt. He should have figured the price for all that in his hunt price.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5927717 09/14/15 01:52 PM
T
ttaillac Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
If I'm paying for a hunt and that hunt includes food, guiding, animal care, etc., I've already paid for those services. I do not feel the need to also pay 10% of what I've already paid - although that's what you will hear on most the replies.

If you tip at all, tip whatever you want. Don't tip out of guilt or pressure of what you think the guide is expecting. If the guide is insulted by little or no tip, I wouldn't want to hunt with them again anyways.

[Linked Image]
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5928054 09/14/15 05:34 PM
A
Armalite260 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I tip based on the over all experience. PERIOD. If I've had a great time then I tip generously - if it sucked I don't tip at all.

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5932497 09/17/15 03:08 AM
S
Sq2 hunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
This is the only thing I don't like about hunting with outfitters. Tipping is always the uncomfortable part of the trip. Some guys expect tons of money for guiding. I'm sorry but if I'm on a hunt with the owner of the hunting operation guiding me I don't feel a tip is necessary. I mean if I'm paying you thousands of dollars to hunt with you I expect you to work hard because that's what I paid for. I mean if I send my truck to a mechanic to get fixed I expect it to get fixed the best to the mechanics ability and not feel obligated to tip for a job well done. But if it's a guy that's guiding for a outfitter I tip accordingly. I don't really think tipping should be based of percantage of the hunt either. I mean if I go on a elk hunt in the mountains for $5000 I'm not gonna tip the same as I would a guide for a texas high fence $5000 elk hunt.. And if you tip 10% do you tip $5000 for a desert sheep hunt?

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Sq2 hunter] #5932917 09/17/15 02:25 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: Sq2 hunter
do you tip $5000 for a desert sheep hunt?

Yes. I tip nothing for crap hunt (never happened), 10% for unsuccessful and few mistakes by outfitter, 15% unsuccessful but outfitter did everything right. And 20% or more for successful and great hunt.

I just tiped 16% on Alaska Dall hunt I didn't tag out.

Some guys just are too cheap to be doing outfitter trips, which is fine. Don't skimp on the prep, equipment, or tip.

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5932975 09/17/15 02:55 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Flawed poll. No Woody's/Centerville.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Theringworm] #5933339 09/17/15 07:13 PM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I think 10%-15% is a good start for the guide. I also add in 5% for the cooks as well. If the hunt was really good or lot more work I will tip more. I used to guide and I can tell you that most guides working for an outfit are usually not paid all that well. the tips really help them. I personally had hunts where your hunter shoots a great deer and then you take him out for a free hog and doe. one night varmit hunting because he has never shot a bobcat etc etc. at the end you get 100 buck as a tip. (likely less than my gas) Having been through all of that I choose to over tip. We remembered the hunters that tipped and the ones that didnt. I want to be remembered as a person who tips well.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: Phantom] #5933430 09/17/15 08:15 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: brianl
We remembered the hunters that tipped and the ones that didnt. I want to be remembered as a person who tips well.

exactly!

Re: What is your usual practice when it comes to guided hunts? [Re: ttaillac] #5934537 09/18/15 02:42 PM
W
WestTxAg07 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Originally Posted By: ttaillac
If I'm paying for a hunt and that hunt includes food, guiding, animal care, etc., I've already paid for those services. I do not feel the need to also pay 10% of what I've already paid - although that's what you will hear on most the replies.

If you tip at all, tip whatever you want. Don't tip out of guilt or pressure of what you think the guide is expecting. If the guide is insulted by little or no tip, I wouldn't want to hunt with them again anyways.

Pretty much sums it up. Guides should have one price and not expect/ask/or suggest a tip, that way neither party is disappointed in the end.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide