Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: HF or LF ? [Re: don k] #5926547 09/13/15 06:44 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Bitching/poaching/rude neighbors. "Exchange students" from the south. All kinds of reasons besides "put and take".

So many negative waves in here:

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: HF or LF ? [Re: don k] #5926552 09/13/15 06:46 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Yep CR, seen lesser threads get the "lock"

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: HF or LF ? [Re: Western] #5926591 09/13/15 07:12 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Western
Yep CR, seen lesser threads get the "lock"

True Colors being shown, Nothing Wrong with that...

It's truly a Shame a Gentleman Harvests a Animal and someone degrades his Hunt

Can't wait to see the Gentlemans Mount up

Re: HF or LF ? [Re: don k] #5926596 09/13/15 07:13 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
He will need a lot of room for that big bull! up

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: HF or LF ? [Re: Simple Searcher] #5926638 09/13/15 07:39 PM
texassippi Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Originally Posted By: brianl
I put up a hf place because my neighbor has a bunch of lease hunters. I got tired of feeding and letting deer grow up and then my neighbors lease hunters shooting them. I dont sell hunts on my property never will. I can tell you that I am happy I did the fence.

Same here.
And contrary to some anti-HF beliefs, we didn't do it to make hunting easier. Matter of fact the exact opposite happened, it is harder.

this is a genuine question. how has it made it more difficult?

Re: HF or LF ? [Re: texassippi] #5926653 09/13/15 07:52 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: texassippi
I put up a hf place because my neighbor has a bunch of lease hunters. I got tired of feeding and letting deer grow up and then my neighbors lease hunters shooting them. I dont sell hunts on my property never will. I can tell you that I am happy I did the fence.

Same here.
And contrary to some anti-HF beliefs, we didn't do it to make hunting easier. Matter of fact the exact opposite happened, it is harder.

It can be both. You're harvest critira become much more strict. Many times you specifically targeting one deer. Or a class of deer. Each property is different LF or high fence. A 3k LF lease on the King isn't the same as a 3k LF lease in the hill country nor the pahandle. Same goes for HF places. Ranch LF or HF is going to be harder if it gets more pressure then it's equal with much lower pressure. Same can be said about a HF ranch vs LF ranch. LF ranch with very little pressure would be easier then a HF ranch with lots of pressure.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: HF or LF ? [Re: texassippi] #5926658 09/13/15 07:55 PM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

Same here.

HF placed will have more mature deer running around. The older the deer, the smarter it is. Before we HFed, wind direction didn't matter. We could have the wind blowing right to the feeder/food plot and the deer didn't care. Now, you won't even see a deer if the wind is swirling.

Originally Posted By: AmoCuernos
If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: HF or LF ? [Re: texassippi] #5926699 09/13/15 08:35 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Same here.

For us, the deer got smart. I can walk off on the LF place and be 75-100 yards from a feeder while working on a blind and the deer don't care. That would never happen on the HF.
I think hunting pressure has made it tougher. We keep a handful of axis and black buck around so hunting happens in the off season, so the deer have been educated to hunting. (Bobo mentioned this too)
Maybe feed habits. The HFers have protein, blocks, minerals, water and foot plots, they are not driven by their stomachs. A feeder going off is no guarantee, but on the LF when a feeder goes off we will have a crowd waiting on it.
If I have a buck on one of our LF cameras, we just show up the first day of archery and shoot him. On the HF it has never been quite that easy. We have some deer that are so wily that they even dodge trail cameras. We only know that they exist because of the few times a year that they slip up and pose for a game cam. We have an 8 year old that I have been hunting since he was 5, no human has ever seen him.
Like Tye said, maybe the higher percentage of mature deer has something to do with it.
To me if a HF place is 500 acres and has 70 deer, it would be more difficult to hunt than walking out onto a LF that is 500 acres and also has 70 deer.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: HF or LF ? [Re: don k] #5926741 09/13/15 09:04 PM
P
Phantom Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
For me the fence was in direct response to lease hunters that were not mature enough to let a young deer walk. I know my neighbor and he just cares about the money he receives. I care about the deer. I still hunt south texas and mexico low fence ranches and I can tell very little difference because the hunting pressure is about the same. I run 10 cameras all year and I know most every doe and buck on my property. I also now buy a few deer every year to improve my deer and keep genetic diversity. If I shoot a deer on my property or one in Mexico how is the mexico one more valuable? I think the one I watched for 6 years and feed is of greater value to me.

Good is the enemy of Great
Re: HF or LF ? [Re: doogie] #5926777 09/13/15 09:33 PM
J
jshouse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: doogie

I do think its ridiculous when these "hunters" get driven to a blind, sit for an hour, shoot a record buck, hang it on the wall and brag how they are a "Great Hunter".

why do you care what he brags about? do you guys argue like this with the guy that says after installing his K&N and flowmasters his MPG and horsepower increased by 25%? or the guy at the office that says he ran a 4.35 in high school? or the guy at the gym that says he benches 400?

there are always going to be "those guys" that brag and think their achievements are better than everyone elses, where its causing a problem here is there are some whose EGOS wont allow them to brush it off.

and to a point the passion is admirable, and with a few I think it is a lot deeper than ego, but in general, NP even said it, these guys don't like some 250" HF freak being compared to their 150" LF buck, when it actually makes them madder knowing the hunter that killed the 250" HF freak may be seen as a better hunter than them...

go cowboys

Originally Posted By: cameron00
If I send my neighbors a text and ask them to give me feedback on my lawn and plant rye into a giant dong pattern, I'm probably going to get some less than positive feedback. Same goes here.
Re: HF or LF ? [Re: don k] #5926868 09/13/15 10:54 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Smh. Can someone post pics of NP's ram lol

Re: HF or LF ? [Re: BMD] #5926872 09/13/15 10:56 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BMD
Smh. Can someone post pics of NP's ram lol

What's that all about?

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: HF or LF ? [Re: don k] #5926881 09/13/15 11:02 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
I didn't see it?

Re: HF or LF ? [Re: don k] #5926884 09/13/15 11:03 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
I don't give two craps about yalls discussion I just wanted to see pics of the ram you killed. Why you so defensive?

Re: HF or LF ? [Re: don k] #5926900 09/13/15 11:14 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
My ram doesn't have anything to do with anything. Please don't get off topic again, I'm reading and learning.

So far, I've learned that, simply by putting up the HF:

1)It makes the deer smarter; and
2)It makes them suddenly pay attention to the wind/wary of human smell (because free-range deer don't care about the wind/human smell).

Dang, I knew they put them up for some reason. But I had no idea they were magic. Amazing stuff one can learn on here. smile

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: HF or LF ? [Re: don k] #5926904 09/13/15 11:23 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Depends on the size of each place.

Re: HF or LF ? [Re: Wilhunt] #5926915 09/13/15 11:27 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: wilhunt
Depends on the size of each place.

Yeah, I'm also learning that the smaller the HF place, the smarter it makes the deer.

Heck, get it down to an acre or two and them suckers will be invisible. smile

Last edited by Nogalus Prairie; 09/13/15 11:28 PM.

Re: HF or LF ? [Re: Simple Searcher] #5926923 09/13/15 11:32 PM
texassippi Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog

Same here.

For us, the deer got smart. I can walk off on the LF place and be 75-100 yards from a feeder while working on a blind and the deer don't care. That would never happen on the HF.
I think hunting pressure has made it tougher. We keep a handful of axis and black buck around so hunting happens in the off season, so the deer have been educated to hunting. (Bobo mentioned this too)
Maybe feed habits. The HFers have protein, blocks, minerals, water and foot plots, they are not driven by their stomachs. A feeder going off is no guarantee, but on the LF when a feeder goes off we will have a crowd waiting on it.
If I have a buck on one of our LF cameras, we just show up the first day of archery and shoot him. On the HF it has never been quite that easy. We have some deer that are so wily that they even dodge trail cameras. We only know that they exist because of the few times a year that they slip up and pose for a game cam. We have an 8 year old that I have been hunting since he was 5, no human has ever seen him.
Like Tye said, maybe the higher percentage of mature deer has something to do with it.
To me if a HF place is 500 acres and has 70 deer, it would be more difficult to hunt than walking out onto a LF that is 500 acres and also has 70 deer.

that is pretty interesting and makes good sense. i've hunted my whole life, never high fence, but i don't have a problem with high fence whatsoever, to each their own IMO. this whole debate is pretty interesting and i was really just curious as to how it changed your particular situation. thanks for a legitimate and thorough response. i always like to hear what people have to say and why they feel that way about this topic, and pick people brains on both sides of the fence, probably to the extent of an over eager child haha

Re: HF or LF ? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5926940 09/13/15 11:48 PM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
My ram doesn't have anything to do with anything. Please don't get off topic again, I'm reading and learning.

2)It makes them suddenly pay attention to the wind/wary of human smell (because free-range deer don't care about the wind/human smell).

Dang, I knew they put them up for some reason. But I had no idea they were magic. Amazing stuff one can learn on here. smile

Where is link to the pics of the ram? Geez I know you are proud of it it. Damn

Re: HF or LF ? [Re: don k] #5926943 09/13/15 11:50 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I'll PM you a photo or two. Not a problem.

Re: HF or LF ? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5926957 09/14/15 12:01 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
If one says all HF hunts are easier than all LF hunts, that can certainly be fairly characterized an over-generalization.

If one says the vast majority of HF hunts are easier than the vast majority of LF hunts, that is not an over-generalization. That is simply a fact that only folks in total denial would dispute.

That's why using the examples of "easy" LF hunts to compare them to examples of "hard" HF hunts is not persuasive and is, in fact, disingenuous. Why? Because they are not the norm since they are extreme examples on the far end of the spectrum for each. On your HF ram hunt, you were hunting one particular animal. Not quite a fair basis for comparison to LF hunting in general - and certainly not the norm for most HF hunting.

And one thing that the HF always does is this: it keeps the animals within the confines of the fence. They are in those confines today. And they will remain there tomorrow, and the next day, and all season long. That certainty is never there without the HF. That's the game changer. And that is not a generalization. It's a fact.

The fence is there for a reason.

Well said.

Re: HF or LF ? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5926965 09/14/15 12:06 AM
B
BMD Offline
Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon
B
I'll PM you a photo or two. Not a problem.

up

Re: HF or LF ? [Re: don k] #5926971 09/14/15 12:09 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I have only read some of these posts, but I don't like HF mainly for selfish reasons. They limit the possible number of quality deer available to me to hunt in some cases. But, it is hard to tell a man who owns the property he cannot do what is necessary to realize maximum profit with his land.

Re: HF or LF ? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5926972 09/14/15 12:09 AM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T

We put ours up because our neighbors shot anything that moves. Legally, they could do that. We wanted our bucks to reach maturity. So, the fence went up. And the deer instantly became tame just because a tall fence was erected. bang SMH Truth hurts doesn't it. Forgot to add that we bought the place in 1989 and hunted low fence until 1995. So I have experience with how the ranch/deer were prior to the fence and after. Do you have any?

Are the Bucks bigger on my place compared to my neighbors????more than likely. The average age outside of the fence is maybe 2.5-3.5 compared to ours which is 4.5 Is a mature buck harder to kill than a young and dumb one? Yep, the fence height has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by Tye; 09/14/15 12:33 AM.

If you shoot a young deer because a neighbor will shoot it, you are that neighbor.
Re: HF or LF ? [Re: Wilhunt] #5926978 09/14/15 12:12 AM
T
Tye Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: wilhunt
I have only read some of these posts, but I don't like HF mainly for selfish reasons. They limit the possible number of quality deer available to me to hunt in some cases. But, it is hard to tell a man who owns the property he cannot do what is necessary to realize maximum profit with his land.

Seems to me that the HF ranch hunts the deer within the fence(that you don't have access to) and you are hunting deer on the outside that he can't shoot.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide