Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: titan2232] #5919040 09/09/15 12:50 AM
R
Reata Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Titan, looks like it's $20 for 2000 and $30 for 5000.

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: Reata] #5919515 09/09/15 09:55 AM
T
titan2232 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Reata
Titan, looks like it's $20 for 2000 and $30 for 5000.

Thanks bud. I like the idea of having the app to sort through pictures instead of having my pocket buzz every 5 minutes.

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: titan2232] #5920091 09/09/15 04:45 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: titan2232
According to my AT&T sales lady I cannot just get an extra SIMS card and add it to my plan as an extra line. She says the card will NOT work in any camera and that I'd have to do a "pay as you go plan" and each text is like .28 cents eeks333

The general AT&T salesperson won't understand what you're really asking for. Covert has some very specific instructions on their website on how they need to provision the line. If you bring that with you and go to a local store in person, you'll have a pretty good shot at getting it done successfully.

There's good info in here for some of the questions being asked.

Code Black Support Page

Covert 3G FAQ

Charlie

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: titan2232] #5920105 09/09/15 04:51 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
OK, I have ATT family share plan, in which we all share data but all have unlimited call/text. It is 10/month for a new line up to 10 lines. We currently have 6 lines with 5 fam members and a cell cam. I own a Covert 3G model with covert solar panel tied directly to the camera and 4 rechargeable batteries inside. It has not stopped working once I set it up. I get somewhere around 76-100 pics a night during summer, but I set my phone to not have any noise or vibrate alert when I get a text form that number, so it is quiet and I only see I am getting texts from the camera if I am looking at my phone. I also have the camera set to just over-write older pictures and that allows me to never have to check the camera card or touch the camera. The text pictures aren't the best, but they give enough detail that I can see whats going on.

I took the camera into the att store when I wanted a sim card. I told them exactly what I was needing and they got me a card lickety split. No big deal. I am not saying all stores are like that, but being pro-active as far as what I needed was helpful for them.

Because of the amount of pictures I anticipated getting, I opted away from the bushnell system. It would be much more expensive in the long run with them for me (20+ dollars a month, plus the cam was an additional hundred), and with the bushnell there is no current set up to change the way it works as the sim card is built inside the cam, not removeable. 10 bucks a month and i have unlimited texts for the rest of the cameras life.

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: titan2232] #5920942 09/10/15 12:35 AM
T
titan2232 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
You make some good points buckeye. I just upgraded my phone yesterday and for some reason they didn't remove my sims card from my old phone (I kept this phone).

I will call back to add this line and just remove the sims card. Sounds easy enough.

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: titan2232] #5921738 09/10/15 01:29 PM
R
Ron H Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I just recently became aware of WIFI game cameras. Wildgame makes one that takes an add-on a WIFI connector. There is another brand Kodiak that has a WIFI connection. I only ran across these searching for wifi game cameras. They look real promising and don't require the cell phone service.

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: Ron H] #5951569 09/29/15 01:52 AM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Ron H
I just recently became aware of WIFI game cameras. Wildgame makes one that takes an add-on a WIFI connector. There is another brand Kodiak that has a WIFI connection. I only ran across these searching for wifi game cameras. They look real promising and don't require the cell phone service.

You have to have wifi at your hunting location though and most people dont have wifi within reach of there camera, the celluar cams send pics 100s of miles away to your phone.

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: titan2232] #5951574 09/29/15 01:55 AM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
So for those that have already researched this, ive found out AT&T is just about the only carrier that supports these which is also the only carrier that gets service at my place, I have sprint so what is the most affordable route for me, im considering the bushnells as well as a pay as you go which someone mentioned, what plan does AT&T offer for this if you dont have there phone service?

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: titan2232] #5951820 09/29/15 04:38 AM
S
Scout-It Outdoors Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Guys I just saw this thread and wanted to point you to an alternative on the general hunting forum "Affordable Trail Camera".

Check out WildlifeCam http://www.scoutitoutdoors.com/. It's an affordable alternative to cellular trail cameras that can turn your old or an inexpensive prepaid Android smartphone, for $15-$30, into a high tech surveillance camera. You can review time lapse footage of a remote location sent back to you each day over 3G / 4G cellular or WIFI connection. Captures start automatically at sunrise and sunset based on your GPS location. It doesn't rely on motion triggers so it is great for watching deer and turkey moving through a field hundreds of feet away or ducks and geese passing by your blind at sunrise and sunset, when game activity is the highest. It's easy. Simply download the app, purchase a kit to power, protect and mount your smartphone and start enjoying the view from anywhere.

I setup a smartphone running WildlifeCam to monitor a field on my farm for deer and turkey. Here is a link to the captures from this evening at sunset. It was great to already see 7 does milling around in the food plot! https://www.dropbox.com/sh/40zd8e81tpf3w9u/AADZHzn9sky6GlN0mFX9DWJqa?dl=0 Yesterday, I saw 12 turkeys from this same smartphone, but they were way down in the back of the field. I'll add another smartphone down there so we can check them out too.

You can review the images one by one, but the best way is to download them to your computer and review them in rapid slideshow mode. Click on the link above and then click "Download", then "Download as Zip". Once the file downloads, Double click on one of the images which opens Windows Photo Viewer. In Windows Photo Viewer, click on the round "play slideshow" button at the bottom of the screen in the middle. You can pause and rewind fast forward etc. by simply using the arrow keys. Note when using the app you don't have to download a zip every time, this is just for this example.

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: titan2232] #5953992 09/30/15 01:14 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I have been using internet game cams for 8 years. First the Moultrie and then Smart Scouter, now Bushnell. Moultrie was one of the few options 8 years ago and I had all kinds of problems. Smart Scouter was very reliable, but huge units and outdated technology. Bushnell is perfect everything contained in single unit same size as their regular game camera. Downside the units are expensive at $500, but upside they handle the network and the subscription fee is very reasonable starting at $7. I have 1,000 pics for $10 a month. I have tons of hogs and deer, wouldn't understand someone needing more than 1,000 pics a month.

Here is my advice for internet game cams...

1) Use the best batteries - I get the Energizer Alkaline AA, which are expensive, but last thing you want is the batteries running out right before your hunt. I get over 5,000 pictures on single set of batteries.

2) Use the best memory card - many over look this, get a class 10 and you will save battery because the picture processing and saving will be much quicker. also quicker when you go to retrieve the photos from device.

For those concerned about signal there are boosters and for those concerned about batteries you can go to solar.

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: titan2232] #5955299 10/01/15 01:26 AM
T
titan2232 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Hey Rob do you have the pics sent to you via text, email, or do you use the website to view images? The website feature has me leaning towards the Bushnell.

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: titan2232] #5956364 10/01/15 07:23 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Hey Rob do you have the pics sent to you via text, email, or do you use the website to view images? The website feature has me leaning towards the Bushnell.

I started out using email, but didn't like it. Even one camera 4-5 pics a day gets annoying. I have 7 going right now and often each takes 10 pictures a day. Early on the email and text service worked great, but I think their network got overloaded quick because I stopped getting the emails right away, I might get them all at once every 1-2 days.

If I want to look at pics I just go to the website, easy to navigate and bring up thumbnails even with mobile. You can change camera settings, look at larger pic, and even request a high resolution of a pic.

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: Rob Lay] #5957201 10/02/15 06:06 AM
T
titan2232 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: Rob Lay

I started out using email, but didn't like it. Even one camera 4-5 pics a day gets annoying. I have 7 going right now and often each takes 10 pictures a day. Early on the email and text service worked great, but I think their network got overloaded quick because I stopped getting the emails right away, I might get them all at once every 1-2 days.

If I want to look at pics I just go to the website, easy to navigate and bring up thumbnails even with mobile. You can change camera settings, look at larger pic, and even request a high resolution of a pic.

Thanks brother. I get 1 to 2 bars at my intended location. Think I'll have any issues with the low reception?

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: titan2232] #5957388 10/02/15 01:31 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
With AT&T? I only get couple bars some places and others barely that, even with poor network seems a couple times a day it can still connect. For example I have been looking at deer in person last 2 hours and they haven't shown on web yet. Make sure you test signal with AT&T before buying as only choice.

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: titan2232] #5958220 10/03/15 12:15 AM
T
titan2232 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Yes sir I have AT&T. The other networks have zero coverage at our place

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: titan2232] #5958656 10/03/15 11:59 AM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
My only complaint with Bushnell besides cost of units is that battery indicator isn't accurate, once it stops showing 100% then be prepared for it to die within a day. That might be because I'm using the most expensive Alkaline batteries that last awhile. I also wish they would upload field scan photos, you can turn field scan on remotely, but then you have to retrieve from device. It is also easy to break the strap holders on back, but that is partly my faults I use ratchet straps and over tighten.

I have 7 cameras, bought first one when they first came out 2 years ago or whenever that was. Besides the strap holders all are still in 100% condition. I bet you that first camera I got now has 15,000+ pictures on it.

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: titan2232] #5958837 10/03/15 02:42 PM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Where to start...

I've done roughly 3 hours of research last night on all different models and man I gotta say some of the reviews are depressing. I need to know EVERYTHING you know about these cameras. (any brand good and bad) A couple key questions are:

1.) Do these cameras receive a stronger/weaker/same signal than a cell phone? I have a few signal bars on my cell phone at my intended location, but not certain how much signal I need?
You need a minimum of 2 bars.

2.) Does an added antenna make much of a difference?
1 to 2 bars increase

3.) Can the delay times be set for 1,2,5 minute intervals as normal game cameras?
Yes I have my 4 coverts set on 4 min

4.) I'd rather not get texts/emails every single time this thing takes pictures. Do any brands have the capability to send all the captured pictures for a given period at one specified time?
You can set it up to send it all once a day

5.) Can I expect 3-4 month battery life with good rechargeables and a solar panel? (I average 2K pics a month with a 2 minute delay)
Yes providing you have clear or partly cloudy conditions..prolonged cloudiness like we had in May will drain it quick.

I have had excellent service with Covert not so with ATT. It was costing me $20/mo on the family share program...I left it and went to the prepaid service (Go Phone) and they still have 1000 pics per month for $9.99. My SMS messaging with the camera is no longer working (an ATT issue)
Please give me any and all info you may have as one of these cameras would be quite effective being 6 hours from the ranch.

Thanks

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: titan2232] #5958920 10/03/15 03:40 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I run the Spypoint celluar cameras and have no issues.

1) I get very good signal with the new versions (Mini-Live 4G), just as good as my cell phone

2) No extended antenna needed unless you have the first generation camera, which I have one. It has the extended antenna and gets a good enough signal to transmit about 70% of the time. It didn't get good enough signal without the extension. I tested one of my Mini-live 4G there and it was great without any extension.

3) Yes, can set many different intervals for taking pics and chose many different muli-shots. I use the multi-shot on my food plots due to the quick trigger speed on the Mini-Live 4G

4) Yes, you can choose to get texts or emails. You can choose to get them once a day, 2, 6, 12 or right after the pic happens. I usually set mine to transmit twice a day unless I am hunting that ranch and set it to transmit after the photo, so I can stalk up on the hogs!

5) I have the rechargeable lithium battery with solar charger options on mine and you can expect to never change batteries.

The cost to run the Truphone version of the Mini-Live 4G is what sets it apart from the Bushnell. Both camera's are pretty evenly matched. I pay $20/year to Spypoint for their service and when I signed up for the Truphone service (card is included with camera) I got $15 free data. You only pay as you use, not a montly rate. I usually use about $2/month for 2500 to 3000 thumbnails and I usually request bigger pic about 25 times a month. You can also run 5 camera's on each Spypoint subscription. I run 3 in Oklahoma and will be setting up 1 in Kansas this year and 1 in Missouri. The truphone card uses AT&T and T Mobile networks (along with a few other local ones).

If you run the Verizon version of the Mini-Live 4G, it costs $17/month for data....hence, I use the truphone version!

Biggest down side is the cost of the units, you can get them for $500 on Amazon, just like the Bushnell's.

I/buddies have used/tested the Bushnell/Spyoint/Coverts and it seems to us that all the camera's function about the same...pic quality and trigger speed. The cost of the data/service is where the main differences can be found.

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: Pittstate] #5958931 10/03/15 03:54 PM
Rob Lay Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: Pittstate
The cost to run the Truphone version of the Mini-Live 4G is what sets it apart from the Bushnell. Both camera's are pretty evenly matched. I pay $20/year to Spypoint for their service and when I signed up for the Truphone service (card is included with camera) I got $15 free data. You only pay as you use, not a montly rate. I usually use about $2/month for 2500 to 3000 thumbnails and I usually request bigger pic about 25 times a month. You can also run 5 camera's on each Spypoint subscription. I run 3 in Oklahoma and will be setting up 1 in Kansas this year and 1 in Missouri. The truphone card uses AT&T and T Mobile networks (along with a few other local ones).

It is great for all of us the monthly charges have gone down so much, 6+ years ago using the Moultrie and even the Smart Scouter later the monthlies could be $30-50 per camera.

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: titan2232] #5958943 10/03/15 04:12 PM
P
Pittstate Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Not only has the service gotten more reasonable, the cameras are much better too. I put homemade sunshades above mine, keeps the weather/sun off them and I should expect them to last 10 years easy. No sunshade and I bet we don't get more than 5 years from them max. They are kind of like trucks....take care of them and they last a long time or abuse them and they don't.....of course there will always be a lemon here and there. If you get a camera that doesn't work spot on, bring it back to retailer and get a new one. Much easier than messing with customer service for the next 5 years.

Re: Cellular Game Cams [Re: titan2232] #5999425 10/29/15 01:42 AM
B
billy1968 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Check out BolyGuard cameras heads above all the rest. When setting up service just add a number to existing plan and get the cheap flip phone and use sim card from it don't ever tell them you need it for a game camera it will just cause you grief.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide