Print Thread
Trying to find info on how to get started.... #5905972 08/31/15 08:09 PM
R
Ratrod101 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
... Never hunted Public Land before and wanting to get my sons involved with hunting while still young. Ive been trying to do some research on how a guy gets started and what to expect and although the TPWD's page has a lot of info, there is still some info I cant figure out.
-On drawn hunts, are you just drawing for the chance to use that particular land, show up on that day and just GO where ever, or is it a controlled hunt meaning they tell you exactly what stand to use, etc?
-I see a fee associate with most hunts, I'm assuming if you are selected, that is the fee you must pay at the time of being notified, correct?
-Are you drawing for a DAY hunt of is there a period of time when you are given to use it? (2, 3-5 days, etc)

I know its a lot of newbie questions but I dont know a soul that has ever used public land for hunting and obviously never drawn a hunt.

ANY information would be greatly appreciated guys/gals!

Thanks in advance!

Re: Trying to find info on how to get started.... [Re: Ratrod101] #5906078 08/31/15 08:57 PM
W
woolyhogtail Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
When you look at a particular hunt there is a link at the top you can open to view the details for that particular hunt. Also if you are just wanting to let the kids hunt there are youth hunts available with no fee for applying. I just applied for a couple today and also put in for some doe permits down at alabama creek, that is free also. You just gotta get your name drawn.I just started looking into this myself so I'm no expert but i got it done . Missed out on a lot of hunts cause I waited too long to look into it, but I'll be better prepared for next year. The thing that gave me the most trouble was setting up an account and getting my wife and kids on there. I finally figured out that your account number is the number on your license. hope this helps

Re: Trying to find info on how to get started.... [Re: Ratrod101] #5906092 08/31/15 09:03 PM
J
jasons Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Im take a shot at some of your questions. Everyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've never done a draw hunt. You are in drawing/lottery to go hunt a specific WMA/land parcel/ranch. Different drawings have different dates/ date ranges.

Some places will allow stand ins, if the original person does not show. I think the stand in can be additional drawing at site/or first come first serve.

I believe, different hunts have different requirements as far as locations. I believe some put you in a specific stand, while others give you a specific area.

The fee is only if you are selected. Different areas also have requirements, such as "you must shoot doe before buck on multiple deer drawings. Read the drawing applications for each area carefully.

There is tons of public land in east Texas, some other areas scattered through out the state. You do not need to be "drawn" to go to all public/WMA's. Get annual hunting permit, and they will mail you a book with maps of each area and what hunting is allowed there. Its a good resource.

Public hunting for deer can be hard. However, there are tons of squirrels, some rabbits. Hunting these can be a start, get out in woods looking for good der area. I know I hated sitting as a kid, hoping something would walk by. I loved shooting all the squirrels though.

You may have better luck with specific public land locations by looking on Texas Bow Hunter. There is a public section on there. A lot of those guys hunt public. If you read through different forum post, you can pick up information, or repeated information that will help you in pattering a buck/what to look for. Hope this helps.

Re: Trying to find info on how to get started.... [Re: Ratrod101] #5906118 08/31/15 09:16 PM
P
Palehorse Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: Ratrod101
... Never hunted Public Land before and wanting to get my sons involved with hunting while still young. Ive been trying to do some research on how a guy gets started and what to expect and although the TPWD's page has a lot of info, there is still some info I cant figure out.
-On drawn hunts, are you just drawing for the chance to use that particular land, show up on that day and just GO where ever, or is it a controlled hunt meaning they tell you exactly what stand to use, etc?
-I see a fee associate with most hunts, I'm assuming if you are selected, that is the fee you must pay at the time of being notified, correct?
-Are you drawing for a DAY hunt of is there a period of time when you are given to use it? (2, 3-5 days, etc)

I know its a lot of newbie questions but I dont know a soul that has ever used public land for hunting and obviously never drawn a hunt.

ANY information would be greatly appreciated guys/gals!

Thanks in advance!

If you are looking to get your sons involved in hunting, there are a ton of great opportunities for youths. For the youth hunts, they are also FREE. You don't necessarily need to be drawn either. The youth hunts are almost always on the weekends so you can go take your boys and try for a standby if you don't get drawn. The odds for getting a standby spot on the youth hunts are very good. In fact, for the spike and doe hunts, almost all of the kids will get to hunt.
Take a look at the public hunt catalog, pick a couple of youth hunts close to you and give it a shot!

Re: Trying to find info on how to get started.... [Re: Ratrod101] #5907003 09/01/15 10:43 AM
U
upsslim Offline
Tracker
Tracker
U
Sign your kids up for the Texas Youth Hunting Program. It's a great organization that puts on youth hunts. You go with the kids and will be sitting with them when they get a deer. The hunts costs $150 total for everything. Check out this site - http://www.tyhp.org/

East Texas
Patriot Guard Rider
Flag Captain
Re: Trying to find info on how to get started.... [Re: Ratrod101] #5907900 09/01/15 07:58 PM
R
Ratrod101 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
Thanks for all the info guys, I did what most of yall suggested and signed them up for the Youth Hunts..seems like an awesome program and I actually found them on Facebook, asked a few questions and got a pretty reply.

Jasons- appreciate the feedback on public hunting in general, lots of good info in your reply

Thanks again guys!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide