Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bore cleaning.....again! #5903267 08/30/15 02:13 AM
C
Chunky Dunk Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
C
I know this has been discussed, and probably beaten to death, but I searched and could not find any of the old posts about bore cleaning on rifle barrels.

I am up in the air about cleaning the barrels of my rifles. I have always cleaned my barrel with hopes #9 after a day at the range. Or about once before hunting season, then run an oil patch through and clean patches until no oil or dirt comes out on the patch.

What about the foaming bore cleaners, that remove copper and other junk? What say you? What do you do for barrel maintenance on your rifles?

Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: Chunky Dunk] #5903294 08/30/15 02:29 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Did you run a search that included one year?

I NEVER remove copper. And I remove cabon when the barrel tells me it needs it. Some are 100 rounds, some are 400 rounds. All need refouling after cleaning to shoot to their potential.

Cleaning is over rated.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: Chunky Dunk] #5903297 08/30/15 02:30 AM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Wipe Out / Patch Out with Accelerater. There can be only one.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: Chunky Dunk] #5903337 08/30/15 02:55 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Everybody is entitled to an opinion. Mine is that it depends on the barrel and the intensity of the round (220 versus 223 for instance). The 220 gets carboned up fast and it will take on copper. It's an old Douglas barrel. Still shoots great, but isn't as smooth as it once was. Every now and then I'll see that taking carbon out isn't quite enough, so I'll use Boretech Eliminator and remove some or all of the copper. Then I'll foul it up a bit and we're back to being good. The 260 with the Brux barrel flat doesn't seem to pick up any copper. Same with the new Benchmark barrel on the 223. I can shoot the heck out of it and never see signs of copper. It does need to be cleaned a bit more (carbon) than the 260 barrel does to retain max accuracy. I don't know why. It just does. I think that a fellow needs to shoot a specific rifle a lot to learn what the barrel likes - clean it a lot or don't clean it much. It varies with the rifle, and I think it has a lot to do with what you expect from the rifle in terms of accuracy. So...learn your rifle and clean as required.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: 603Country] #5903365 08/30/15 03:11 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: 603Country
It varies with the rifle, and I think it has a lot to do with what you expect from the rifle in terms of accuracy. So...learn your rifle and clean as required.

Good sense. All barrels are not equal and anyone who insists that a mass-produced button rifled barrel should be treated the same as a custom cut-rifled barrel is just vomiting.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: 603Country] #5904117 08/30/15 08:29 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Everybody is entitled to an opinion. Mine is that it depends on the barrel and the intensity of the round (220 versus 223 for instance). The 220 gets carboned up fast and it will take on copper. It's an old Douglas barrel. Still shoots great, but isn't as smooth as it once was. Every now and then I'll see that taking carbon out isn't quite enough, so I'll use Boretech Eliminator and remove some or all of the copper. Then I'll foul it up a bit and we're back to being good. The 260 with the Brux barrel flat doesn't seem to pick up any copper. Same with the new Benchmark barrel on the 223. I can shoot the heck out of it and never see signs of copper. It does need to be cleaned a bit more (carbon) than the 260 barrel does to retain max accuracy. I don't know why. It just does. I think that a fellow needs to shoot a specific rifle a lot to learn what the barrel likes - clean it a lot or don't clean it much. It varies with the rifle, and I think it has a lot to do with what you expect from the rifle in terms of accuracy. So...learn your rifle and clean as required.

Yep, they are all different , whatever your rifle tells you when you clean and shoot is the only real answer. How you clean it when it needs it, Well, there are 1001 ways and all are good.

I'm a believer in the Wipe Out school but Bore Tech, Montana extreme and the rest are all good, just follow their individual cleaning methods or you could mess up a good barrel.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: Chunky Dunk] #5904459 08/30/15 11:49 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
I guess I over clean. I was never taught how to care for firearms so I clean pretty much everytime I shoot. Nothing crazy. Bore snake and oil. The exception is after I zero for deer season. I don't clean till the season is over.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: Chunky Dunk] #5904496 08/31/15 12:11 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: Chunky Dunk] #5904497 08/31/15 12:11 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Every year I hear stories of hunters missing a deer, and they have no idea why they missed. After talking to them, they had their rifle cleaned spotless and all slicked up with oil on the inside of the barrel after shooting and zeroing their scope. Oil is a great barrel protector, but not on the inside when you are ready for making an accurate and precise shot.

So, how do you clean a rifle and keep the barrel fouled in and zero'd for deer season? Most rifles will shoot around 50 to 300 rounds (or more) before accuracy begins to fall off. Most hunters clean their rifles way before this time. I clean my rifles before I shoot them at the gun range. I run a patch on a jag (pointed metal tip) soaked in Butch's bore shine for about 2-4 patches. I'll run these through the barrel back and forth until I see I have the barrel almost clean. I stop there, and put 2-3 dry patches to get any remaining liquid out. (If you clean the barrel 100% clean, it will usually take 2-7 rounds to get the barreled "fouled" back in, and shooting accurately.) Now, the rifle is ready to shoot and get the barrel fouled in. During cleaning, the solvent's remove copper and powder fouling. "Fouled in" means the barrel has some copper build up from the bullets in the rifling, which will help make a consistent and repeatable shot. Since I didn't clean the barrel to bare metal, I usually only need 1-2 rounds to confirm my zero is dead on and shooting consistent. Once you confirm your zero, don't touch the inside of the barrel again! This is where most hunters make their mistakes. They will clean it again and oil it up inside and out. Outside oil is fine. It will help protect the outside of the rifle. But oil inside the barrel will cause the rounds to go anywhere they want to go, often not where you wanted. A little oil on the bolt and race way is also fine. I put some oil on a patch, and put the patch on the areas I want to oil. If you put drops of oil directly on the parts, it will seep into other areas you may not want oil.

What if the barrel gets wet? Run a dry patch though the barrel and call it good. If you have to clean it, do a light cleaning, like 1 wet patch followed up by a couple dry patch's, but NO oil on the inside.

If you drop it in the mud, push out any debris with a dry patch, then give it a light cleaning, but no oil. Some hunters carry a bore snake. This is good for removing any debris, but does not do much for actually "cleaning" the inside of the rifle.

If I am storing my rifles for a long period, I will put a coat of oil inside the barrel. But before I shoot it, I will clean it, and get any oil out of the inside of the barrel. This is why I clean my rifles at the range before I shoot them.

I hope this helps some of the hunters who over clean their rifles, thinking that's what's needed.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: Chunky Dunk] #5904763 08/31/15 02:00 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I see a disconnect here. The guys with the custom high dollar barrels don't clean the bore much. I get that. I have a few, and they just don't foul much at all. The guys with the rough and worn old factory barrels think they need to clean more often. And yes, they probably do. The now-deceased original bull barrel on my beloved 220 Swift needed cleaning every 25 or so rounds to get back to terrific accuracy. The new barrel, which is no longer really new, needs less frequent cleaning, but it still needs more cleaning than some of the larger bore, less intense caliber rifles I have.

I just do not agree with someone that says they can shoot 400 rounds through their barrel without cleaning and add that 'you can too'. Maybe I could with the 260 and the Brux barrel. No way with the 220 Swift. Probably not with the Sako 270. And the jury is still out with the new 223 barrel.

Had a guy over here last year. He wanted to shoot his 22-250. It wouldn't group worth a darn. He was pretty upset about it, and said how good it used to shoot. I asked how often he had cleaned it, and he said that he didn't have any cleaning gear. Well, That says a lot, so I said to leave it with me, and with some ammo, and I'll clean the bore a bit. I cleaned it a bit more than a 'bit'. More of a mess I hadn't seen before. I cleaned it and shot it, and called to tell him it was a good shooter.

Bottom line is that what's good for your rifle isn't necessarily good for mine. And maybe the unspoken other message should be to get yourself a nice smoothly lapped custom barrel. I did. They are great. Life is too short to live with only factory barrels. :-)

Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: Chunky Dunk] #5905134 08/31/15 11:54 AM
R
Rockfish Dave Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Good post Chad.

Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: 603Country] #5905195 08/31/15 12:58 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
I see a disconnect here. The guys with the custom high dollar barrels don't clean the bore much. I get that. I have a few, and they just don't foul much at all. The guys with the rough and worn old factory barrels think they need to clean more often. And yes, they probably do. The now-deceased original bull barrel on my beloved 220 Swift needed cleaning every 25 or so rounds to get back to terrific accuracy. The new barrel, which is no longer really new, needs less frequent cleaning, but it still needs more cleaning than some of the larger bore, less intense caliber rifles I have.

I just do not agree with someone that says they can shoot 400 rounds through their barrel without cleaning and add that 'you can too'. Maybe I could with the 260 and the Brux barrel. No way with the 220 Swift. Probably not with the Sako 270. And the jury is still out with the new 223 barrel.

Had a guy over here last year. He wanted to shoot his 22-250. It wouldn't group worth a darn. He was pretty upset about it, and said how good it used to shoot. I asked how often he had cleaned it, and he said that he didn't have any cleaning gear. Well, That says a lot, so I said to leave it with me, and with some ammo, and I'll clean the bore a bit. I cleaned it a bit more than a 'bit'. More of a mess I hadn't seen before. I cleaned it and shot it, and called to tell him it was a good shooter.

Bottom line is that what's good for your rifle isn't necessarily good for mine. And maybe the unspoken other message should be to get yourself a nice smoothly lapped custom barrel. I did. They are great. Life is too short to live with only factory barrels. :-)

You are 100% correct. The main thing is the KNOW your rifle. My post is in general for most rifles. A lot of the time the really fast calibers will need more frequent cleaning. Letr the rifle tell you when you need to clean.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: ChadTRG42] #5905851 08/31/15 07:04 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Every year I hear stories of hunters missing a deer, and they have no idea why they missed. After talking to them, they had their rifle cleaned spotless and all slicked up with oil on the inside of the barrel after shooting and zeroing their scope. Oil is a great barrel protector, but not on the inside when you are ready for making an accurate and precise shot.

. . . . Once you confirm your zero, don't touch the inside of the barrel again! This is where most hunters make their mistakes. They will clean it again and oil it up inside and out. Outside oil is fine. It will help protect the outside of the rifle. But oil inside the barrel will cause the rounds to go anywhere they want to go. . .

thanks for posting this ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ it should be in big day-glo orange letters ^ ^ ^ ^

Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: Chunky Dunk] #5906845 09/01/15 03:18 AM
C
Chunky Dunk Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
C
Thanks for all the input guys.

Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: bigbob_ftw] #5907059 09/01/15 11:57 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw
I guess I over clean. I was never taught how to care for firearms so I clean pretty much everytime I shoot. Nothing crazy. Bore snake and oil. The exception is after I zero for deer season. I don't clean till the season is over.
I used to do the same thing until I started reading some posts on here. I'm getting really, really good accuracy out of my Savage 308 now after running it dirty all the time. It's very counterintuitive, but it does work.

Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: bigbob_ftw] #5907421 09/01/15 03:51 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

I'm in the same boat as you. While modern shooting powders are not as corrosive as in years past, they do leave behind residue that can hold moisture. And moisture is the worst enemy to most metals.

Besides, it just bothers me to put an expensive firearm in the safe with a dirty barrel, despite the excuses that can be made to do so.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: patriot07] #5907442 09/01/15 04:02 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: patriot07
I used to do the same thing until I started reading some posts on here. I'm getting really, really good accuracy out of my Savage 308 now after running it dirty all the time. It's very counterintuitive, but it does work.

Exactly!!!!!

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: Chunky Dunk] #5907891 09/01/15 07:54 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I've made the point several times that I'm into cleaning 'as required', but I didn't mention that my actual time spent cleaning rifle bores is a mere fraction of what it used to be. I just flat don't clean bores that much any more.

Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: Texas Dan] #5908032 09/01/15 09:15 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

I'm in the same boat as you. While modern shooting powders are not as corrosive as in years past, they do leave behind residue that can hold moisture. And moisture is the worst enemy to most metals.

Besides, it just bothers me to put an expensive firearm in the safe with a dirty barrel, despite the excuses that can be made to do so.

So you clean because of emotional reasons, not mechanical.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: Chunky Dunk] #5908164 09/01/15 11:21 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I'm a gun cleaning addict and there's nothing that will help, except another gun to clean up

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: 603Country] #5908174 09/01/15 11:25 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C

makes sense to this old man

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: J.G.] #5910055 09/02/15 11:37 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

So you clean because of emotional reasons, not mechanical.

Having never been taught, yes. Good for these threads for teaching me.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: Chunky Dunk] #5910122 09/03/15 12:09 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
rolleyes

Really now.

Emotional reasons? You sound like a broken f****** record, Jason---someone can tell you he wants to thump hogs at 60 yards and it would still be 6.5 Creedmore, 1-in-7 twist, high-BC bullets, Manners stocks, and bolt knobs as big as golf balls. And don't forget the FFP Vortex scope with LR turrets.

Have you EVER been able to understand that there are a few odd individuals out there who don't see the world just as you do??? It's been pointed out here very TACTFULLY in a number of ways that all barrels are not the same and will not respond in the same way to having 300 rounds fired without cleaning. If you just don't understand, that's one thing and that's okay because misunderstanding can be corrected. Your derision, on the other hand, is something else all together. Maybe the emotional issue is your own.

SMH.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: RiverRider] #5910237 09/03/15 12:53 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You've got it all wrong.

I have, and use a .30-30 lever gun with irons. I also have irons on my AR as of right now. Every job has the right tool, and I get that.

Broken record? The title of the thread has the word "again" in it. The same questions come up and I give the same answers. Excuse me for being f****** consistent. Did I ever say to never clean? NO! I have said to let the rofle tell you when it needs to be cleaned. Some are in 20 rounds, some in 100, some are in several hundred. Button rifled and cut rifled alike, clean them when they need it, not when you "think" it should be cleaned. And the only way to know that is to shoot often and pay attention to how the rifle shoots clean versus 20 round fouled, versus X number of rounds fouled.

A very often occuring problem I see on my range, with students, is clean barrels. They show uo with a barrel they just cleaned and the first item of business is to check 100 yard zero. And more often than not, the rifles don't shoot to their potential until they get fouled up. Some have shot so bad that I ask "was that miss you, the ammo, or the rifle?". He tells me he thinks he made a good shot and doesn't know why it landed there. Then he asks me to shoot his rifle to see if he is the problem. And quite often he was not the problem, the clean barrel was. Well we're not going to start trying to shoot 2 MOA steel from 200 to 800 until the rig will at least hold a decent zero, and the way to get it there is to keep shooting it. Then we'll shoot another 80+ rounds for the day during different drills, usually without a hickup.

NEVER ONE TIME have we stopped in the middle of the day to clean a bore, NEVER! And as a matter of fact, I have more button rifled barrels come out than cut rifled. Add to this that I shoot about three days a week, yet rarely clean. I clean when they tell me they need it, period.

But if my experiences, and the world as I see it bothers you, then build your own range, buy insurance, form and L.L.C., advertise, and start teaching and observing for yourself. I think pretty highly of you until you start menstrating like this and attack me. There are plenty of people that would write you off forever, but maybe I'm too nice or too stupid.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Bore cleaning.....again! [Re: Chunky Dunk] #5910256 09/03/15 01:02 AM
Wburke2010 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I hardly ever clean any of my guns. When the groups start opening up is when I run a few patches. Wether it be my factory Remington rifle or my custom rifle. Or even my hand guns. There is no reason to clean a rifle after a set number of rounds unless the rifle starts shooting bad.

Walter

MW Ranch Services
903-303-4523
Metal buildings, welding, equipment repair, dirt work
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide