6237379 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#5897804 - 08/26/15 06:49 PM Don't make it complicated
cmc Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Graham to Arlington
Sorry just realized this is long and not very well written but oh well.

I was considering an elk hunt this year and started thinking of all the gear I "had" to have. I'm not a gear junky, in fact I often don't even take what I do need so when I started thinking of what I needed I thought back to my first elk hunt. Back in 1997 I was 18 years old, I had no real direction in life and was and still am mostly uneducated so I pretty much just ran around like an idiot hunting and living like a bum. When October came that year I said hell with it I'll go try to kill an elk in Colorado.

I drove to Colorado bought a license at the first gas station and drove up a mountain and went to sleep. I had a borrowed 30-06, a summer tent, one pair of not warm boots, and no camo, no guide, no nothing. Long story short I used what I knew about hunting to kill a 5x5 on public land. Did I get lucky? Hell yes I did. Could I have gotten lucky if I wasn't in the woods? Hell no I couldn't.

I hear people all the time worry about the right camo, the right scent cover, this bullet, that bullet and they let this effect their time in the woods or even how they feel about what they took. Hunting is not that hard, deer are not as smart as the guy selling the next big buck secret would have you believe.

Yes they have a good nose, so don't hunt where they can smell you, yes they see pretty well, so don't hunt where they can see you, yes they hear well so don't make a bunch of noise.
There's no reason to buy brand new everything every year because Lee and Tiffany did, use what you got and get out there.

Hunting skills can be applied to hunting anywhere, once you learn how to hunt and use the land, the wind, the sun, and trees to your advantage you can kill any critter anywhere. Don't make it hard. The best way to learn is to be out there. Deer are not that hard to kill and I promise they won't mind a bit if you shoot a 140 grain or 180 grain bullet. Don't worry about it, learn to shoot and go shoot something.

Last year my friend who hunted probably more hours than most of you reading this but has never fired a gun in his life bought me a pack of broad heads from Walmart, the cheapest ones they had on clearance. They were on clearance because no one bought them because this company does not have a Rage size advertisement compain. These heads were sharp and flew straight, I killed two deer and a hog with the three heads. He couldn't believe I used them on a deer and when I asked why wouldn't I, he said I just never seen this kind on TV or anybody use them. I quickly explained how he had been duped. I'm not saying if Rage called and said we would like you to shoot our heads I wouldn't, because I would they work, but I'm not gonna spend $40 on heads when a $5 head will work. An inch is an inch is an inch, no matter who makes the head if you poke a hole in a deers lungs one inch wide he WILL die period.

I don't have to shoot what I shoot, I could buy a new bow every year or I can take $1000 and go hunting. Learning the skill of hunting and the art of stalking is way more important than the brand you use.
Keep it simple and don't think the brand is what killed that deer, it was you and your skill that killed it.
I catch more hell for the gear I use than anybody Ive ever seen and I kill at least a half dozen animals with a bow a year and that many more with a gun. Once you realize your skills are why you take more game and not because you had some Bone Collector garb you'll have more fun and the only way to become more skillful is to be out there learning.
I'm not running down anyone's style if it's working for you by all means continue to do it but don't let the lack of a new bow or the lack of the best advertised broadhead keep you away from the woods.

Ive seen several people on this forum asking questions about will this kill a deer, will this kill a hog, the answer to all these questions is yes, it's always yes, if you have the skill then most anything will work.

I taught my kid long ago about shot placement and how to read a deers body language, watch his tail, is he alert is relaxed. All these things will make your hunt better so that you don't have to blame your poor shot placement on a bullet or a broadhead. When a deer jumps the string and your Rage hits high and the deer don't die it's not the Rages fault, it's your fault. When you shoot at a deer walking and hit him in the brisket and find a little blood and some hair but no deer it's not Core Lokts fault, if you had hit that deer in the lungs you'd be on here telling us how great of a bullet they are.

Well I'm rambling, my point is go hunting, stay out of Cabelas, learn how to hunt not how TV tells you to hunt. It's not that hard don't make it complicated.

#5897830 - 08/26/15 07:00 PM Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc]
dogcatcher Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Abilene or on the road...
banana cheers banana banana cheers banana banana cheers banana banana cheers banana banana cheers banana banana cheers banana

banana cheers banana banana cheers banana banana cheers banana banana cheers banana banana cheers banana banana cheers banana

_______ Old style calls for today's outdoorsman_________

#5897879 - 08/26/15 07:19 PM Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Said the same thing for years, put down that Field and Stream and get in the woods.

Good "rant" CMC

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5897906 - 08/26/15 07:35 PM Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc]
Simple Searcher Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Helotes, Hext
Well done up
And Happy Birthday

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

#5897938 - 08/26/15 07:58 PM Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc]
blazin Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Texas
Absolutely awesome! This will be a mandatory read for both my boys(19 and 21).
Very well said.

#5897956 - 08/26/15 08:05 PM Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

cheers

#5897979 - 08/26/15 08:15 PM Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc]
woolyhogtail Offline

way to go, truer words were never spoken

#5898094 - 08/26/15 08:51 PM Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc]
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Bird Dog

AMEN! happy3

#5898124 - 08/26/15 09:06 PM Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc]
txshntr Online   content
T-Rex Arms

Loc: Mansfield, Texas
One of the best rants I have read on here clap

#5898134 - 08/26/15 09:12 PM Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc]
Bobby Frey Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Texas
Good stuff

#5898180 - 08/26/15 09:33 PM Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc]
Nogalus Prairie Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Corsicana
It's true.

I'd be willing to wager that there are many guys who spend more time at Cabelas/Bass Pro and watching hunting shows than spending time in the woods.

Example: Both Cabela's and BassPro have a fall weekend "campout" event where Dads bring their kids to the store for a weekend and they sleep in a tent, watch videos, eat stuff from the little restaurant inside the stores, try out gear, etc. All inside the store.

All I can think of is how sad that is. I mean, if you can do that - take your kid camping outdoors for heaven's sake!!

#5898200 - 08/26/15 09:40 PM Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc]
Halfadozen Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Parker County
up

#5898208 - 08/26/15 09:43 PM Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc]
fouzman Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston, TX
Didn't find your diatribe to be rambling in the least confused2

Your words were obviously founded in experience. You did a fabulous job of articulating something so complex.

#5898232 - 08/26/15 09:54 PM Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: Nogalus Prairie]
rickym Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: texas
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
It's true.

I'd be willing to wager that there are many guys who spend more time at Cabelas/Bass Pro and watching hunting shows than spending time in the woods.

Example: Both Cabela's and BassPro have a fall weekend "campout" event where Dads bring their kids to the store for a weekend and they sleep in a tent, watch videos, eat stuff from the little restaurant inside the stores, try out gear, etc. All inside the store.

All I can think of is how sad that is. I mean, if you can do that - take your kid camping outdoors for heaven's sake!!

That makes me feel bad, for the kids. They would be better off if they were in boy scouts at the least

#5898322 - 08/26/15 10:42 PM Re: Don't make it complicated [Re: cmc]
erok11 Offline
Bird Dog

Well said ... cheers

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide