Forums46
Topics536,997
Posts9,719,287
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: GF wants a rifle.....I have no idea [Re: fouzman] #5895599 08/25/15 07:55 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
That's just comical.
You think you know more than you know. I'm quite sure I can hit smaller and farther than you can from the
hood or roof of my pickup. So there went your benchrest theory. Don't make presumptions as to the type of shooting I do and teach beacuase you are way off course with the thought of benchrest.

You're right fireman. You know me and all about me. And you're obviously a far superior marksman because you say so. I make no assumptions about the type of shooting you teach or practice. All I said about benchrest is that's the only situation where a muzzlebrake is genuinely useful. I prefer a suppressor for recoil and noise reduction.

As for getting out from behind a computer and watching guys shoot every week, no thanks. Especially if they're ignorant enough to believe a negligent discharge can't or won't happen to them or one of their "students". That's the type of ego that gets folks killed.

I shoot about 3,000 rounds/year out of each of my hunting rifles. Throughout the year. In multiple shooting positions and stances. That equates to around 20,000 rounds per year and I typically hit what I shoot at. Exactly where I intend to hit it. And it's not always a piece of steel that isn't moving.

I know more than you think I know roflmao

2cents Did i ever tell ya's bout the time took the ol .243 out shot once... grill & chill... Cleaned & oiled... Put up for 3 years went & did it again... bang think i'm getting a headache, muyloco any one seen my medicene ? flag

i'm postaddic
Re: GF wants a rifle.....I have no idea [Re: redchevy] #5895604 08/25/15 07:57 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Does a 5 foot tall person really need a youth gun? I shot full size guns from youth on as well as every kid I grew up shooting/hunting with. In my mind 5' is over the threshold of a youth stock, id find a low recoil cal and get full size. My 243 is just a standard short action and it feels too small if anything.

That would depend a great deal upon the individual's build. My wife isn't much shorter than 5', and a full sized rifle is absolutely too big. I'm sure some 5 footers fall on one side of the line and some fall on the other.

I'll say this, though. I enjoy shooting that little rifle quite a bit myself. Seems that too short is much more ideal than too long.

Re: GF wants a rifle.....I have no idea [Re: fouzman] #5895629 08/25/15 08:10 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
That's just comical.
You think you know more than you know. I'm quite sure I can hit smaller and farther than you can from the
hood or roof of my pickup. So there went your benchrest theory. Don't make presumptions as to the type of shooting I do and teach beacuase you are way off course with the thought of benchrest.

You're right fireman. You know me and all about me. And you're obviously a far superior marksman because you say so. I make no assumptions about the type of shooting you teach or practice. All I said about benchrest is that's the only situation where a muzzlebrake is genuinely useful. I prefer a suppressor for recoil and noise reduction.

As for getting out from behind a computer and watching guys shoot every week, no thanks. Especially if they're ignorant enough to believe a negligent discharge can't or won't happen to them or one of their "students". That's the type of ego that gets folks killed.

I shoot about 3,000 rounds/year out of each of my hunting rifles. Throughout the year. In multiple shooting positions and stances. That equates to around 20,000 rounds per year and I typically hit what I shoot at. Exactly where I intend to hit it. And it's not always a piece of steel that isn't moving.

I know more than you think I know roflmao

I should have said "most people". My fault.

Hell benchrest is the situation that needs a brake the least. 30 pound rifles sitting in heavy rests, on top of tables somewhat anchored to the ground with ten minutes to make ten shots.

No way would a brake help seated, kneeling, offhand, supported on anything from 1' to 5' off the ground and everything in between, with no spotter to tell you where you missed. Those are competition and hunting situatuons, all benefit from a brake on the rifle. Epsecially a light weight shooter such as a woman.

Of course negligent discharges can and do happen. And almost every time it is user error. But it can be taught and learned how to keep them from happening.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: GF wants a rifle.....I have no idea [Re: Sneaky] #5895642 08/25/15 08:18 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Does a 5 foot tall person really need a youth gun? I shot full size guns from youth on as well as every kid I grew up shooting/hunting with. In my mind 5' is over the threshold of a youth stock, id find a low recoil cal and get full size. My 243 is just a standard short action and it feels too small if anything.

That would depend a great deal upon the individual's build. My wife isn't much shorter than 5', and a full sized rifle is absolutely too big. I'm sure some 5 footers fall on one side of the line and some fall on the other.

I'll say this, though. I enjoy shooting that little rifle quite a bit myself. Seems that too short is much more ideal than too long.

There's a good joke in there and I bet she might see it differently than you roflmao

It's hell eatin em live
Re: GF wants a rifle.....I have no idea [Re: Sneaky] #5895649 08/25/15 08:20 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45

scratch gots ta go with Sneaky on this one red... Up till me 40's was wearing a 27-34 " britches... Just the other day tried on 35-30" & they were too small... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: GF wants a rifle.....I have no idea [Re: 1860.colt] #5895697 08/25/15 08:44 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: colt.45

scratch gots ta go with Sneaky on this one red... Up till me 40's was wearing a 27-34 " britches... Just the other day tried on 35-30" & they were too small... flag

Just got off phone with my shrink... We talked about me grammer... Called it: Dislikeit confused2 something like that... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: GF wants a rifle.....I have no idea [Re: redchevy] #5895700 08/25/15 08:47 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

There's a good joke in there and I bet she might see it differently than you roflmao

Hah! That was unintentional, I promise.

Re: GF wants a rifle.....I have no idea [Re: Walkabout] #5895704 08/25/15 08:51 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Aren't the AR10's a bit heavy to haul around?

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: GF wants a rifle.....I have no idea [Re: Walkabout] #5895803 08/25/15 09:58 PM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
A r 10 would be a terrible choice. Yes heavy and much harder to handle.

The correct answer is 243 or 6.5 creed

If you just had to have an ar the 6.8 is small person friendly with little recoil

Re: GF wants a rifle.....I have no idea [Re: Walkabout] #5896065 08/26/15 12:03 AM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Fireman, sorry we got off on the wrong foot.

To clarify my feeling of muzzle brakes being best suited for the bench.

My reply was in the context of hunting rifles that the OPs g.f. might try.
An inexperienced shooter firing a hunting weight rifle from the bench has a much greater chance of enjoying their range time with a muzzle brake. Proper hearing protection is assumed. Perhaps the shooter develops some good habits like breathing, trigger control and perfectly sharp crosshairs w/o the dreaded recoil flinch.

My disdain for muzzle brakes isn't absolute though. As stated, I own a 7.5lb 300RUM that I could have never practiced with sans brake. I'm already deaf so one or two shots from that gun at sheep or Stags isn't gonna matter.

The kicker is I learned to shoot it well with hearing protection in hunting situations.

In the end, I think we're probably more alike in our views.

Re: GF wants a rifle.....I have no idea [Re: Walkabout] #5896100 08/26/15 12:17 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Lots of thought here on this post, many very good. I vote for the 243.

Re: GF wants a rifle.....I have no idea [Re: fouzman] #5896300 08/26/15 01:44 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Probably so.

I zero, load develop, get DOPE, and practice in varying environmental conditions prone on a bipod and rear bag. I personally have no use for a bench. But once the rifle, load, and corrections are learned and reconfirmed in varying temps and DA, I handle the rifle. Standing using the side of the truck bed, sitting in a chair using something the height of a blind window, in the bed of the truck shooting over the roof, ect. Whatever I can come up with to be prepared for a hunting shot. The cycle has been predator hunter (teen) wanted to learn to hit the coyote as far as I could see it, handloading, ballistics, optics, ect, pratical tactical competition to learn more and be challenged, rotate that learning back into hunting. Havn't missed an animal in a long time after paying attention to better shooters than me and absorbing what is needed to get stable in less than perfect conditions. And in each scenario a brake is a major help. I want to see my bullet arrive at what I am shooting so that I can make a quick, corrected, follow up shot if necessary. Once the spine is 90 to the barrel that becomes more difficult. I need all the help I can get!

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: GF wants a rifle.....I have no idea [Re: Walkabout] #5896444 08/26/15 02:41 AM
boonee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
We put a brake on a H&R Handy rifle in .223, so the owner could watch the impact of his projectiles on prairie dogs
at 200 yards plus! But to each his own!

Avenger Firearms 214-577-5818
avengerfirearms@gmail.com

Lifetime NRA member
Re: GF wants a rifle.....I have no idea [Re: Walkabout] #5896446 08/26/15 02:43 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I've always thought that the electronic ear-plugs that only activate when there is a loud noise seemed perfect for use with a muzzle brake.

You'd want three pair of them, one for you, and two more for anybody who might be with you, out hunting.

It works out that you can still converse and hear your surroundings, but when a gun goes off they protect you.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: GF wants a rifle.....I have no idea [Re: Walkabout] #5896595 08/26/15 05:05 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Savage makes the Female Hunter rifle. I'd look at one of those in 7-08.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: GF wants a rifle.....I have no idea [Re: fouzman] #5896952 08/26/15 02:58 PM
C
catslayer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Fireman, sorry we got off on the wrong foot.

Fouzman... your on the wrong forum bud... Get back over to TFF lol

I'm a big 7mm-08 fan... But the AR-10 is actually a really solid option too... especially with a little heavier barrel... Like a Rock River...

Last edited by catslayer; 08/26/15 02:59 PM.

Sombody smells like fried borritos...
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide