Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Is it jealousy, or is it something else #5893473 08/24/15 06:58 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
An acquaintance just posted up a monster typical that is growing behind one of 'his' HF places on the Book of Faces.

The deer he posted is impressive - no question. However, you can see the two-row high wire mesh fencing right behind the buck. That deer seems to be all the rage based on the comments. I just feel like there should be an asterisk hanging from the deer's antlers. I don't really want to call him out and be a 'Richard' on social media - but I need to express the conflict I feel somewhere. My bride would say get over it and I realize that is the best course of action.

He is a guy that was born on third base, thinks he hit a grand slam, but married into the Hall of Fame. - I do not begrudge him for these things - I actually enjoy getting to tag along on the adventures he sets up.

They fly the jet to the airport, jump in the chopper at the hangar, and fly directly to the ranch house. Then take their top drive, camoed up, Rhino Lined, Super Duty out, smoke cigars, drink whisky, pull the trigger, and call it hunting - I don't know that I have ever seen them clean their own animal. The element of pursuit appears to have been taken out of the 'hunt' at their place. I have done all of this with them, but never once did I think I was hunting.

I think I am feeling a twinge of jealousy here, because I am proud of some of the deer on our LF place this year - deer that wouldn't hold a candle to a 190"+ typical. But there is something else there too; a feeling I can't quite put my finger on. ...I feel like they just don't get 'it.' 'It' for me is the pursuit; the hunt. On the other hand, perhaps, they look at me and say, "he just doesn't get 'it'" I am not sure what 'it' is for them.

I'm rambling/venting and see how this could go into a HF/LF debate real quick - not what I am looking for. Just a random collection of thoughts I have right now.

Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: HuntnFly67] #5893484 08/24/15 07:05 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
How do you know the fence in question in the picture is the boundary fence and not a fence around a food plot? HF food plots are common practice on some ranches. I never hate on the deer or the height of the fence.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: HuntnFly67] #5893488 08/24/15 07:06 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It's not jealousy. It's just an instinctive feeling of what is real vs. what is artificial. Hunting is a lot more than simply killing an animal - no matter how big it may be. The sad thing is your friend probably does not know the difference.

I have a feeling times are changing on all this though. I can sense these winds of change.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: HuntnFly67] #5893493 08/24/15 07:10 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
It's jealousy

Count your own blessings. Some people would love to just have a lease period, low fence or no fence

Facebook is a real good place to feel bad about your life if you stay on it too long

Fact of life: some one will always be bigger, stronger, make more money, have prettier wives/gf's , drive bigger trucks, hunt better places and kill bigger animals.

Be proud of your accomplishments and what you have and don't worry about others.

It's hard for me to do a lot of times because I'm competitive but you getting bent is not gonna keep your buddies and others from doing whst they do

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: txtrophy85] #5893498 08/24/15 07:13 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
It's jealousy

Count your own blessings. Some people would love to just have a lease period, low fence or no fence

Facebook is a real good place to feel bad about your life if you stay on it too long

Fact of life: some one will always be bigger, stronger, make more money, have prettier wives/gf's , drive bigger trucks, hunt better places and kill bigger animals.

Agree, but I think his point was how some perceive the hunting "thang", I could have misread his intent.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: stxranchman] #5893500 08/24/15 07:15 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
How do you know the fence in question in the picture is the boundary fence and not a fence around a food plot? HF food plots are common practice on some ranches. I never hate on the deer or the height of the fence.

Just because I know the ranch well enough, stx. Its a boundary fence of a 1200+/- acre 'pasture'.

....and I don't think its the HF, or the deer that bothers me that much, STX. Its the other things I mentioned - maybe like NP says, it is not real.

Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: HuntnFly67] #5893501 08/24/15 07:16 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Read between the lines

Is a hunting topic but lots of negative emotion about what his friend has

Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: HuntnFly67] #5893502 08/24/15 07:16 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Unless you're dropped off buck-naked in the woods without pre-made weapons of any sort, just about any 'hunting' you partake in has some element of convenience built into it. Your acquaintance just happens to have a lot more convenience built into his hunting than you do. I don't really think it's jealousy but a bit of that feeling is certainly envy, which we would rationalize with 'Well, I wouldn't do it that way because it's not really_________'. Well, look in the mirror, because there is probably someone less fortunate than you looking at the way you do things and making the same rationalization. It's just human nature; almost all of us do it in some form or fashion. Just keep doing what you're doing and don't worry about it too much.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: HuntnFly67] #5893507 08/24/15 07:18 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It's not just about HFs either (though the issues there are obvious). It's about fair pursuit vs. cutting corners just to put a head on the wall.

A lot of guys now go to the NWT and are flown in a helicopter to the top of the mountain range, shoot a ram, and are flown back to base camp-never having climbed a single ridge. A lot of guys have small armies of guys out scouting and are called in for the shot only. Sadly,numerous examples of stuff like this can be presented.

No one can say exactly where the "line" is, but examples like this are pretty clearly distasteful to any normal hunter's idea of what hunting is all about. It's just reduced to target practice on an animal.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: Western] #5893513 08/24/15 07:20 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
It's jealousy

Be proud of your accomplishments and what you have and don't worry about others.

It's hard for me to do a lot of times because I'm competitive but you getting bent is not gonna keep your buddies and others from doing whst they do

Originally Posted By: Western
It's jealousy

Agree, but I think his point was how some perceive the hunting "thang", I could have misread his intent.

This is what I love about this forum. I think there are aspects that both of you are correct.

While the chopper ride to the ranch is fun, its not MY reality. I would love for it to be, but I am pretty sure my Creator gave me exactly what I need to be who He needs me to be. I know myself well enough that it would take a lot of effort/work to not be sinfully indulgent if I didn't have to work hard for the things I get to enjoy in this life.

Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: HuntnFly67] #5893515 08/24/15 07:20 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I would love to go with your friend and just watch! clap

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #5893519 08/24/15 07:21 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Unless you're dropped off buck-naked in the woods without pre-made weapons of any sort, just about any 'hunting' you partake in has some element of convenience built into it. Your acquaintance just happens to have a lot more convenience built into his hunting than you do. I don't really think it's jealousy but a bit of that feeling is certainly envy, which we would rationalize with 'Well, I wouldn't do it that way because it's not really_________'. Well, look in the mirror, because there is probably someone less fortunate than you looking at the way you do things and making the same rationalization. It's just human nature; almost all of us do it in some form or fashion. Just keep doing what you're doing and don't worry about it too much.

Well said.

Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: HuntnFly67] #5893525 08/24/15 07:25 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I sat on a hill in Kansas and watched guys chase antelope on a 4 wheeler and watched groups of guys push deer out of standing crops to shooters. Both leave a bad taste in my mouth and are not what I consider hunting. Others view it differently and it is their choice. Some go to any means to get their name in a book. I don't hate on the animal or the height of the fence. I hunt where and how I choose these days, not how someone else wants me to so I live with my choices. By the same token I do not tell anyone else how or where to hunt, they have to make their choices and live with their results. If they invite me, I can go and hunt my style or refuse to go on the trip.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5893526 08/24/15 07:25 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
It's not jealousy. It's just an instinctive feeling of what is real vs. what is artificial. Hunting is a lot more than simply killing an animal - no matter how big it may be. The sad thing is your friend probably does not know the difference.

I have a feeling times are changing on all this though. I can sense these winds of change.

Just curious: The first patent in the United States for barbed wire was issued in 1867. How many game preserves were there in the US in 1893?

Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: HuntnFly67] #5893536 08/24/15 07:29 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I'm pretty sure once wire was invented it didn't take someone long to put two and two together to come up with four!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: HuntnFly67] #5893537 08/24/15 07:29 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
There isn't this much diversity in the way the non hunting folks see it, if hunters have ethics conflicts, how long will it take the non hunters of the world (the majority), to solve this for us?

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: LuckyHunter] #5893541 08/24/15 07:30 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Just curious: The first patent in the United States for barbed wire was issued in 1867. How many game preserves were there in the US in 1893?

A helluva a lot fewer than today I'm sure.....

Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: Western] #5893546 08/24/15 07:33 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Western
There isn't this much diversity in the way the non hunting folks see it, if hunters have ethics conflicts, how long will it take the non hunters of the world (the majority), to solve this for us?

They will solve it for us unless we solve it for ourselves first.

Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: HuntnFly67] #5893549 08/24/15 07:36 PM
T
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Everyone can choose to hunt how they wish and everyone can have an opinion on how others hunt.

That okay...as long as you don't try and make other hunt* the way you hunt.

Note: Added an "*" "As long as it's legal"

Last edited by TonyinVA; 08/24/15 07:44 PM.
Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: stxranchman] #5893559 08/24/15 07:39 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I sat on a hill in Kansas and watched guys chase antelope on a 4 wheeler and watched groups of guys push deer out of standing crops to shooters. Both leave a bad taste in my mouth and are not what I consider hunting. Others view it differently and it is their choice. Some go to any means to get their name in a book. I don't hate on the animal or the height of the fence. I hunt where and how I choose these days, not how someone else wants me to so I live with my choices. By the same token I do not tell anyone else how or where to hunt, they have to make their choices and live with their results. If they invite me, I can go and hunt my style or refuse to go on the trip.

The "live and let live" approach, which sounds good. But then a deal like the "Cecil" fiasco comes along and proves we simply don't have the luxury of burying our heads in the sand and not standing for fair chase. The guys on the 4 wheelers were probably breaking the law.

Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: Jimbo] #5893565 08/24/15 07:42 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I'm pretty sure once wire was invented it didn't take someone long to put two and two together to come up with four!

4 and 4 equal 8 ' high. Thanks did not realize the HF debate has been going on for 122 years. WOW!

Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: LuckyHunter] #5893567 08/24/15 07:43 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: Jimbo

4 and 4 equal 8 ' high. Thanks did not realize the HF debate has been going on for 122 years. WOW!

IDK if "game preserves" in TRs day were HF or not. That really is not the point.

Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: HuntnFly67] #5893593 08/24/15 08:03 PM
L
LuckyHunter Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
L
My point was in 1893 some passed a blanket judgement on something they had never experienced. Just like in 2015.

Good read TASTE OF BLOOD and I never thought chasing down and roping a bear off a horse would be considered fair chase.

TR was a great man and I give thanks he took action to save hunting.

Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: HuntnFly67] #5893612 08/24/15 08:14 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Is there a difference between TR shooting s deer off horseback and me shooting one out of a truck or a 4-wheeler?

Re: Is it jealousy, or is it something else [Re: LuckyHunter] #5893615 08/24/15 08:16 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
My point was in 1893 some passed a blanket judgement on something they had never experienced. Just like in 2015.

Good read TASTE OF BLOOD and I never thought chasing down and roping a bear off a horse would be considered fair chase.

TR was a great man and I give thanks he took action to save hunting, but I'm not sure he walked on water.

He did in fact, save hunting (along with a few other forward thinkers of his day). The way he did it was to emphasize the "fair chase" ethic inherent in sport hunting vs. the goal of simply killing animals then exemplified by commercialized hunting. IMO that same dichotomy is just as important today.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide