6239225 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#5889713 - 08/21/15 05:34 PM DNA Results Received..It's a Coyote/Wolf Hybrid
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Virginia, USA
A few months back some of you may remember a picture I posted of a 82 0pound "Coyote" that a fellow in VA had shot which we suspected was possibly a Coyote/Wolf Hybrid (see attached photo.)

After jumping through several loops I was finally able to get the DNA results by donating the skull to the NC Museum of Natural Sciences and they set tissue samples to the Wayne La, Dept. Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of California, Los Angeles, CA for DNA analysis.

Here are the summary results which I received in an email this week:

"We tested the large coyote with a diagnostic SNP panel to analyze its ancestry: 10 diagnostic coyote/wolf markers and 2 diagnostic coyote/dog markers. We also tried to amplify D-loop but the PCR failed, so I'm planning on getting back to that later this week.

Coyote/Wolf SNPs (10 loci):

- Heterozygous at 7/10 markers, homozygous coyote at 2/10 markers, and homozygous wolf at 1/10 markers

- 55% coyote alleles

Coyote/Dog SNPs (2 loci):

- Homozygous coyote at both markers

There is no evidence of dog ancestry, but the individual appears to be a potential F1 hybrid based on the coyote/wolf loci. We also tested 10 dog/wolf diagnostic SNPs, but the animal does not appear to be a dog hybrid (homozygous wolf at 7/10 markers, heterozygous at 2/10 markers, homozygous dog at 1/10 markers).

I'll send out the D-loop results when we have them, possibly next week."

So the bottom line is that it looks like a wolf-coyote hybrid that was killed in VA (where we do not have wolves).

#5889728 - 08/21/15 05:46 PM Re: DNA Results Received..It's a Coyote/Wolf Hybrid [Re: TonyinVA]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
I'd say you have them now..

#5889733 - 08/21/15 05:51 PM Re: DNA Results Received..It's a Coyote/Wolf Hybrid [Re: BOBO the Clown]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Wouldn't be the 1st one released/dumped, or escaped by someone that couldn't handle it anymore. I have had a few and they are work.

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5889737 - 08/21/15 05:54 PM Re: DNA Results Received..It's a Coyote/Wolf Hybrid [Re: Western]
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Originally Posted By: Western

Wouldn't be the 1st one released/dumped, or escaped by someone that couldn't handle it anymore. I have had a few and they are work.

What percentage wolf though?

#5889740 - 08/21/15 05:59 PM Re: DNA Results Received..It's a Coyote/Wolf Hybrid [Re: TonyinVA]
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker

Not sure its has to be an escaped animal.

Prior DNA studies of coyotes in Northern VA have shown wolf DNA. Apparently when the coyotes migrated east they interbreed with the Great Lakes wolves and also the Eastern Canada Wolf (Algonquin Wolf) as well as the red wolves in the south. So we know that the hybridization took place.

What they want to do next is take a hair sample ...see the text of an email I got today from the guys at NC Museum of Natural Sciences

"Wow, super interesting, a potential F1 Hybrid wolf-coyote from Virginia. This opens a lot of new questions! Perhaps the D-loop will shed some light on the origin of this wolf (if its mother was a wolf).

We should probably run an isotope test on the bones/hair to see if there is evidence of captivity (i.e. eating dog food would show up). I'll contact a friend about getting that done."

#5889742 - 08/21/15 05:59 PM Re: DNA Results Received..It's a Coyote/Wolf Hybrid [Re: TonyinVA]
nsmike Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: MN
In other news California confirmed it's first pack http://www.mercurynews.com/san-mateo-cou...hern-california

#5889753 - 08/21/15 06:07 PM Re: DNA Results Received..It's a Coyote/Wolf Hybrid [Re: BOBO the Clown]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

What percentage wolf though?

Mine where in the 80-90% range, that is x;d with a domestic type dog (malamute generally) x'd woth a coyote would be insanely tough.

Edited by Western (08/21/15 06:08 PM)

Dennis

#5889764 - 08/21/15 06:15 PM Re: DNA Results Received..It's a Coyote/Wolf Hybrid [Re: TonyinVA]
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker

Dennis,
From one of the researchers I am working with

"The average eastern coyote has a little bit of dog and a little bit of Wolf genes mixed in. The test on this animal shows that it has a massive amount of wolf genes, probably half of it's Genome. This suggest that one of its parents was a full-blooded wolf, that's what we mean by an F1 or first generation hybrid. This is highly unusual and makes us wonder where the wolf could have come from"

#5889815 - 08/21/15 06:54 PM Re: DNA Results Received..It's a Coyote/Wolf Hybrid [Re: TonyinVA]
Duck_Hunter Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Tony, where in Virginia? I'm from Richmond and my family still lives there. This is very interesting.

#5889824 - 08/21/15 06:58 PM Re: DNA Results Received..It's a Coyote/Wolf Hybrid [Re: TonyinVA]
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker

Stoney Point, Albemarle County, VA (which is about 10 miles north of Charlottesville, VA.)

#5889835 - 08/21/15 07:04 PM Re: DNA Results Received..It's a Coyote/Wolf Hybrid [Re: TonyinVA]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: TonyinVA
Dennis,

"The average eastern coyote has a little bit of dog and a little bit of Wolf genes mixed in. The test on this animal shows that it has a massive amount of wolf genes, probably half of it's Genome. This suggest that one of its parents was a full-blooded wolf, that's what we mean by an F1 or first generation hybrid. This is highly unusual and makes us wonder where the wolf could have come from"

Don't doubt that all, but I know you can buy F1 wolf crosses, all day long.

Dennis

#5889933 - 08/21/15 07:52 PM Re: DNA Results Received..It's a Coyote/Wolf Hybrid [Re: Western]
TonyinVA Offline
Pro Tracker

Dennis,

This is a first generation coyote-wolf cross....not a wolf-dog cross. Per the researcher, "The test on this animal shows that it has a massive amount of wolf genes, probably half of it's Genome. This suggest that one of its parents was a full-blooded wolf, that's what we mean by an F1 or first generation hybrid."

Also, they have asked (and I will get) some additional hair samples and bone samples. This would allow them to evaluate the potential history of this animal in captivity. Hair gives short-term evidence of diet, while bone gives long-term. What they want to find out is if there is any history of captivity. Also, the test revealed no dog DNA.

#5889956 - 08/21/15 08:06 PM Re: DNA Results Received..It's a Coyote/Wolf Hybrid [Re: TonyinVA]
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Boerne, Texas
Coming soon to a county near you.... Coyote season closed - due to wolf genes.

#5889966 - 08/21/15 08:11 PM Re: DNA Results Received..It's a Coyote/Wolf Hybrid [Re: TonyinVA]
Elkhunter49 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Oak Harbor, Slidell La
Here is a Texas bred cross.... Dad is a Grey Wolf and mom is a Red Heeler.

#5889987 - 08/21/15 08:20 PM Re: DNA Results Received..It's a Coyote/Wolf Hybrid [Re: TonyinVA]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Dennis,

This is a first generation coyote-wolf cross....not a wolf-dog cross. Per the researcher, "The test on this animal shows that it has a massive amount of wolf genes, probably half of it's Genome. This suggest that one of its parents was a full-blooded wolf, that's what we mean by an F1 or first generation hybrid."

Also, they have asked (and I will get) some additional hair samples and bone samples. This would allow them to evaluate the potential history of this animal in captivity. Hair gives short-term evidence of diet, while bone gives long-term. What they want to find out is if there is any history of captivity. Also, the test revealed no dog DNA.

Would be interesting to see what is found through the hair. Hair stores a lot of current information, even chemicals.

Dennis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide