Forums46
Topics538,034
Posts9,732,182
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5890735 08/22/15 07:21 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: BOONER
Originally Posted By: Chunky Monkey
That is an unflattering picture BOBO

Really BoBo? Abuse of your moderator power? I wonder how it would be received if a "regular" member posted that pic.

Same way. Why wouldn't it be?

I thought pictures were supposed to be done in a tasteful manner. I guess I am wrong. Sorry.

Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5890741 08/22/15 07:33 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
hunting pictures yes.

Look like hunting pictures to you?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5890742 08/22/15 07:36 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
hunting pictures yes.

Look like hunting pictures to you?

Could be. I don't know the back story of the pic.

Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5890743 08/22/15 07:41 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I just don't understand why people get upset when they break the rules. Pet deer breeders know the rules and risk involved.

Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: BOONER] #5890746 08/22/15 07:44 PM
P
Play Maker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Just play by the rules and the State wouldn't have to come in and kill your pet deer. Pretty simple.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The owner of the index herd and others who had to put deer down had done nothing wrong.

Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: BOONER] #5890747 08/22/15 07:45 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Just play by the rules and the State wouldn't have to come in and kill your pet deer. Pretty simple.

Most ignorant thing I've heard.. You do realize that no rules where broken, right? You do know all three of the bucks tested where born on that farm and where all related. All three came from the same mom that tested negative, all three where AI'ed, all three had no contact with the rest of the deer in that facility. See the ironic picture of the three deer that tested positive. FYI the original deer was a volunteer test by the Ranch owner.

New regulations just dictated no matter if you have no physical or genetic line to the index herd you now get to kill a percentage of your herd for testing.

Just like the 8 wild deer in West Tx... No rules where broken there, but wait no massacre there.

People are screaming about using this to further live testing.... Gee I wonder why.

I have no monetary ties to breeders or HF. In face I have one animal on
My wall that could be considered HF, and that's my wife oryx(it only takes a 4' fence to be consider HF for an oryx).. But I along with thousands of others are screaming foul.

Also for your information breeder industry are the ones forking over the money for most CWD testing efforts.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: BOONER] #5890749 08/22/15 07:47 PM
P
Play Maker Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
I just don't understand why people get upset when they break the rules. Pet deer breeders know the rules and risk involved.

Do yourself a favor and educate yourself on the topic at hand before you make statements such as this.

Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: Play Maker] #5890753 08/22/15 07:52 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: Play Maker

Do yourself a favor and educate yourself on the topic at hand before you make statements such as this.

Lol. You didn't catch the risk involved statement? I will admit I haven't read about the case being discussed in this thread.

Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: BOONER] #5890756 08/22/15 07:55 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Lol. You didn't catch the risk involved statement? I will admit I haven't read about the case being discussed in this thread.

That's the reason people are screaming to use this herd for longer term testing.

This wasn't a "your caught red handed, pay the piper".. This is an OH Crop!! CWD could be genetic or have a genetic trigger.

This was a deer that broke its neck in a pen and the owner submitted it to volunteer testing.

Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5890757 08/22/15 07:58 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Maybe we should just eliminate the deer breeding industry period! I think it's a big black eye to hunting anyway. I don't see the need to kill livestock. And no I am not against HF hunting! Just against the breeding industry.

Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: BOONER] #5890762 08/22/15 08:02 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Maybe we should just eliminate the deer breeding industry period! I think it's a big black eye to hunting anyway. I don't see the need to kill livestock. And no I am not against HF hunting! Just against the breeding industry.

I'm not a fan of breeders either but every wildlife principle and disease solution both domesticated and non domesticated came from breeders. You are the premier APex predator, you control every species survival on the planet. From a macro view we are all breeders.

Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5890763 08/22/15 08:03 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B

That's the reason people are screaming to use this herd for longer term testing.

This wasn't a "your caught red handed, pay the piper".. This is an OH Crop!! CWD could be genetic or have a genetic trigger.

This was a deer that broke its neck in a pen and the owner submitted it to volunteer testing.

I said earlier in the thread that I totally agree with you on the testing. If there is a better way to test then let's find it. I don't agree with deer breeding but it is what it is.

Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5890765 08/22/15 08:05 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
cheers up

Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5890788 08/22/15 08:35 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
cheers up

up

Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5890818 08/22/15 09:12 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Booner here's the 'Catch 22', there's no validated live test for CWD, there is an experimental test that is expected to be between 93% and 97% accurate. To validate the test researchers need to do the live test and compare it to the postmortem test. The problem has been agencies involved killing all the deer without giving the researchers access. What do you think will be more effective in curbing CWD spot checking deer that die with a 100% test or checking entire herds with a 93% to 97% effective test. In every disease control situation early detection is best.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5890829 08/22/15 09:25 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
TAHC wasn't. TPWD was.

TAHC saw this as a golden research opportunity.

That is not true as I know it and I attended both the deer summit and the meeting run by the tahc and tpwd and agriscience in Hondo. Tahc is in charge. They are the ones that approved the ascenine protocol of destroying the deer in the originating herd. The only reason that was done was to bury the evidence. Nothing but which deer were infected can be researched by the protocol tahc approved.

They good cop bad copped you and many in the breeding industry. They're both bad.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: BOONER] #5890834 08/22/15 09:31 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Risk has nothing to do with what you said. You said they broke the rules. No one broke any rules or laws.

And you don't get to decide what others do for a living or a hobby. Sucks huh.

And yes, your post was at least the most ignorant of the day.

Last edited by therancher; 08/22/15 09:32 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5890851 08/22/15 09:43 PM
T
txbobcat Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Couple points to be made on the whole deal...

Number one is breeders signed up for the program KNOWING it would be heavily overseen by the government.

Number two is they should be spending their time and money to get the live test approved instead of trying to make it a private property or "slaughter" argument.

Three just for those that don't know the breeders can pick and choose which animals are used/tested so they can pick out their culls. They have had a voluntary program for this for a while and those folks are in compliance. Everyone else is having to catch up now that its a requirement.

Last edited by txbobcat; 08/22/15 09:43 PM.
Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: therancher] #5890876 08/22/15 10:18 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: therancher

Risk has nothing to do with what you said. You said they broke the rules. No one broke any rules or laws.

And you don't get to decide what others do for a living or a hobby. Sucks huh.

And yes, your post was at least the most ignorant of the day.

Lol, rancher your an angry lil fella ain't ya. mad
And I would say risk has everything to do with it. No one makes anyone be a deer breeder but if YOU decide to be one then there is a certain amount of RISK involved.

And for making a living raising deer makes you happy then I'm all for it as long as they are shown in fairs along with the other livestock.

Last edited by BOONER; 08/22/15 10:23 PM.
Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: txbobcat] #5890901 08/22/15 10:49 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted By: txbobcat

Number two is they should be spending their time and money to get the live test approved instead of trying to make it a private property or "slaughter" argument.

That's the problem when CWD is found at a breeding facility the responsible agencies depopulate the herd without allowing researchers access. They can't get the data to validate the test. This has been a major problem consistently with CWD research. There is another avenue of research involving a genetically modified rumen bacteria that destroys the misfolded prions. Tests show it slows down and in one case totally prevented oral transmission. It needs both test subjects and money to go forward beyond the current small group study. This might be at least a partial answer in controlling CWD in wild herds.

Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: nsmike] #5890924 08/22/15 11:06 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: nsmike

That's the problem when CWD is found at a breeding facility the responsible agencies depopulate the herd without allowing researchers access. They can't get the data to validate the test. This has been a major problem consistently with CWD research. There is another avenue of research involving a genetically modified rumen bacteria that destroys the misfolded prions. Tests show it slows down and in one case totally prevented oral transmission. It needs both test subjects and money to go forward beyond the current small group study. This might be at least a partial answer in controlling CWD in wild herds.

Sounds like a good option to me. What is the hold-up? Does the state just not want to do it or do they not want to pay for it? The breeder should pay for all test and all expenses involved. Other than that the state is ignorant if they don't allow research for live testing.

Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5890936 08/22/15 11:18 PM
8pointdrop Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
The "problem" is cwd has been around since before man even knew what it was. Deer herds aren't wiped out by it, it's not the end of the world. Now all of a sudden the sky is falling...

Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5890937 08/22/15 11:18 PM
A
Auctioneer1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I have always said you put TPWD in control of anything it will be messed up. They overreact on everything and a bunch " not all" don't know [censored] when it comes to management period.

Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: txbobcat] #5890981 08/22/15 11:51 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Couple points to be made on the whole deal...

Number one is breeders signed up for the program KNOWING it would be heavily overseen by the government.

Three just for those that don't know the breeders can pick and choose which animals are used/tested so they can pick out their culls. They have had a voluntary program for this for a while and those folks are in compliance. Everyone else is having to catch up now that its a requirement.

Need to recheck your facts on number 3

There is a huge difference in submitting dead animals(natural death) vs sacrificing animals...

Culls? Sorry I'm not one to want to donate another 1/3 of my post tax paycheck to study wage equality

Re: Deer being killed to test for Chronic Wasting Disease [Re: Chunky Monkey] #5890999 08/23/15 12:08 AM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
When depopulation is done the funds tend to come from the USDA. They take total control and submit specimens to the lab in Ames IA. Why they don't allow researchers access is a mystery to everyone involved. The one case where researchers got access was during a period when the USDA didn't have funds when first discovered. The breeding industry association made arrangements for the tests. Soon after the tests were made the USDA got fresh funding and depopulated the facility.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide