Print Thread
First hog hunt ever! #5886962 08/20/15 05:46 AM
S
Stickman11b Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I am going on a hog hunt Saturday. Besides wishing me luck. Are there any tips you all have for me? Any special scent covers or rituals I should know about? A gentleman at Academy told me he washes all his clothes in unscented detergent they sell at that store. He also showed me the unscented stuff he washes his hair with and the unscented deodorant. Lol.. Now being a newbie to hunting. I'm prone to buy all of these products he uses because I want a successful hunt. Oh and forgot to mention he said he travels to his destination with his clothes In a bag and puts them on outside his truck. My question is.. Should I only eat certain things before I go? Should I take his advice and go the whole nine yards or do you all have any suggestions for me other than what that gentleman provided? Fill me in with your experience for hog hunting.

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

-ERNEST HEMINGWAY
Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: Stickman11b] #5886964 08/20/15 06:08 AM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
I am no hog expert by any stretch but I think buddy there was (pardon the pun) selling you a bunch of hogwash. If the target animal is downwind and they have a decent sense of smell (read as deer, hogs, coyotes, etc.) they will bust you no matter what precautions you take. If they are downwind and they don't spook it's not because they don't smell you it's because for some reason they do not perceive you as a threat (pretty rare). Play the wind i.e keep the wind in your face. All the crap they sell are gimmicks designed to steal your money.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: Stickman11b] #5886967 08/20/15 06:16 AM
S
Stickman11b Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Thanks for those tips. I do recall when I came back to the store later, one of the other retail sales individuals I told him what the other guy told me and he said with a smirk "I don't use any of that crap!" Lol I thought to myself, "well, I must sound like an idiot then". However, I guess experience is the best teacher.

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

-ERNEST HEMINGWAY
Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: Stickman11b] #5886970 08/20/15 06:57 AM
P
ProneOutfitters Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Don't go out smelling like crap though. Scent control is important in any hunt. Some people swear by it, some people think it's complete BS. The less you smell the better, but going the whole 9 yards isn't 100% necessary IMO.

Most importantly, have fun whether you're successful or not! Enjoy your time in the woods, and learn all you can while you're there.

Clay Herzog

www.Proneoutfitters.com
Clay@Proneoutfitters.com
682-300-4008
Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: Stickman11b] #5887032 08/20/15 11:51 AM
C
cyberpyrot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
don't go buying all that crap if the hogs come they will come. I do nothing special I shot a lone boar from 200 yards away waited 5 minutes then walked up to him. about 20 yards in the woods a whole saunder was trotting up to me I had to take out my pistol and fire off a few shots before the noticed me and ran away. so either I smell like a pig or they just did not care. also when I hunt I rock my Green Jelly t-shirt they seem to like that.

Last edited by cyberpyrot; 08/20/15 11:53 AM.

I'm a terrible shot but I follow up with a grenade!
Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: cyberpyrot] #5887050 08/20/15 12:08 PM
S
Stickman11b Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Haha, a jelly shirt.. Well it seems that the Only thing I really need on this hunt is my rifle. Do you all eat the bigger hogs out of the bunch or the baby ones? I was told older bigger pigs taste nasty. This will be my first "wild pig" I'm going to try and it.

-ERNEST HEMINGWAY
Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: Stickman11b] #5887052 08/20/15 12:09 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
welcome ta THF.. Moskettoes might be biggest problem, if lucky it will be cooler weather... Enjoy time spent , some say the thermo-cell works great ta keep moskrttoes away... Some areas hold more hogs than others... If ya dont see hogs, blame on weather, thar out thar some were, just gotta be in right place right time... Mainly enjoy the outdoors & if ya see hogs, choot-em rofl You going with outfitter ? Or a do it yourself hunt ? Edit: Some of the threads on here make it sound easy ta hunt hogs... A lot has ta do with acsess to good area's... Got lucky couple days ago, been known ta blow it a few times.... Had help from a cam that was set up in front of corn pile threw out... Hogs were their when i got their... If ya do get hog, get on ice let chill then grill Best wishes flag

i'm postaddic
Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: cyberpyrot] #5887055 08/20/15 12:14 PM
C
cyberpyrot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: cyberpyrot
don't go buying all that crap if the hogs come they will come. I do nothing special I shot a lone boar from 200 yards away waited 5 minutes then walked up to him. about 20 yards in the woods a whole saunder was trotting up to me I had to take out my pistol and fire off a few shots before the noticed me and ran away. so either I smell like a pig or they just did not care. also when I hunt I rock my Green Jelly t-shirt they seem to like that.

I hit them in the head stops the adrenaline pumping on the big hogs then take them to get processed they have always taste fine. some people ice them down for days to remove the musk. Im going hog hunting this weekend as well but I will be hunting from dusk to dawn because of the heat.

Last edited by cyberpyrot; 08/20/15 12:16 PM.

Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: Stickman11b] #5887060 08/20/15 12:28 PM
S
Stickman11b Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I am going to be out in a blind colt .45 a place called 4J ranch in Leona, TX. I hate mosquitos! Ugh! I hope they aren't out.. Anyway, I was told I'm gonna have to season the meat really well if it's a older hog. I did some research and I was told to shoot for the vital organs, although some of those sites never specified head shoots. I'll think i can take that chance if your saying it's okay to do so.

-ERNEST HEMINGWAY
Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: Stickman11b] #5887066 08/20/15 12:34 PM
C
cyberpyrot Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Stickman11b
I am going to be out in a blind colt .45 a place called 4J ranch in Leona, TX. I hate mosquitos! Ugh! I hope they aren't out.. Anyway, I was told I'm gonna have to season the meat really well if it's a older hog. I did some research and I was told to shoot for the vital organs, although some of those sites never specified head shoots. I'll think i can take that chance if your saying it's okay to do so.

some people do it some don't. Most of the hogs I hit are fairly close I don't like chasing them through the woods.

This is my wife shooting head shot. DRT...

Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: Stickman11b] #5887113 08/20/15 01:03 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
If you hunt 20 yds away you may need to do those things

If you hunt 100-150 yds away you just need to watch the wind

Yes. They can smell you 150 yds away if the wind is right

I hunt 150 yds away. When wind blows toward them
They sniff then run back into the trees or don't come out at all

Good luck

Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: Stickman11b] #5887122 08/20/15 01:11 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
rofl your a newbee on here... Most experts have me on the ignorance list ... Most of my hog hunts are on WMA land, gotta wear orange... Hogs usualy detect hunter, so often its a moving target... So most shots i take are at close range & heart lung area, bigger target, more room for error... Since you'll be in a blind, get some cheap spungy type ear plugs, sometimes get echo from shoot, just take your time, as many on here say head shot, cheers whin they not spooked, tis a good shot, squeese trigger... One took other day was a 25 yrd shot, hogs were busy eaten corn thrown out... Each situation is diferent, few days earlier i blew it on same hogs.. Didn't pull trigger, cleared small shooting lane, let things settle a few days.. Diddn't even make it ta blind.. confused2 Did eat some beans before went out... Talk ta the guys at 4J Ranch, they'll know what works best in that area.... As old saying goes, every one has an opinion, mine stinks .... rofl each situation is different, as pappy once said: Target hunting looks good on paper, its not easy getting the wild game ta stand still during the hunt Best wishes... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: Stickman11b] #5887141 08/20/15 01:22 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
1)wear all heavy black clothing 2)find mud and roll around in it 3)find fresh pig poo and rub it on your shirt and face 4)walk around grunting.

Doubt it will work, but video of it would be funny up

Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: Stickman11b] #5887145 08/20/15 01:24 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Don't go out smelling like crap though.

Some of my best hunts have been when I spent the day working outside first and reeked of BO. I am sort of inclined to believe that smelling more "natural" helps you fit in with nature, LOL. During the summer, I am often covered in bug spray. That stuff stinks to high heavens.

Hunting hogs is like hunting other animals. Don't make a lot of noise. Don't dress in a manner to draw attention to yourself. Don't wear aftershave. Don't make sudden moves. Stay alert and aware of what is going on around you. Do play the wind. Make sure your gear is in good shape (gun loaded, etc.) before you get into the field.

I used to have a lucky shirt and I still have lucky underwear. They seem to work better than high dollar scentlock clothing. roflmao

It is really all about doing common sense stuff and not about special secrets or tricks.

And as noted above, have a good time!

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 08/20/15 01:34 PM.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: Stickman11b] #5887184 08/20/15 01:52 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
2cents

Quote:
all the crap they sell are gimmicks designed to steal your money

rofl i remember when Texas Hold-em was big on TV.... All the Pro's were selling books on how ta win... The trick ta winning was playing your game & not theirs... Hunting has become an industry... Were i was born an raised, it was family & friends getting tagether ta put food on the table for grillen & chillen... Best wishes on up coming hunt... flag

Last edited by colt.45; 08/20/15 02:41 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: Stickman11b] #5887361 08/20/15 03:21 PM
A
Armalite260 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Best overall is to pay close attention to the wind as many have mentioned and watch your travel route to where you hunt. I've had the wind in my face many times however walked over a trail the hogs would be coming on. They stopped short of the trail threw their nose up like they sniffed me out and hauled butt. So I know they picked up my travel scent.. Taught me a good lesson..

Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: Double Naught Spy] #5887493 08/20/15 04:34 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Hunting hogs is like hunting other animals. Don't make a lot of noise. Don't dress in a manner to draw attention to yourself. Don't wear aftershave. Don't make sudden moves. Stay alert and aware of what is going on around you. Do play the wind. Make sure your gear is in good shape (gun loaded, etc.) before you get into the field.

I used to have a lucky shirt and I still have lucky underwear. They seem to work better than high dollar scentlock clothing. roflmao

I have some surplus camo pants and several camo shirts, but I rarely wear them any more. I mostly hunt in an old, faded, used-to-be black (now grey) T-shirt and jeans. If the old adage about real estate is "location, location, location", then for hogs it's all about wind direction. Yes, don't be obvious, use cover as much as possible, be quiet, but if you're upwind of the hogs you can pretty much forget about it. If you're downwind, you've got good chances for getting close enough for a shot.

Approaching from downwind along a tree line I've managed to get within 50 yards of a sounder of hogs several times. When the hogs have come from upwind, I've been busted at 150+ yards more than once.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: Stickman11b] #5888061 08/20/15 11:04 PM
C
customcutter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Hogs have excellent hearing and smell, they are nearsighted, but do see movement. Don't know if you are hunting day or night, daytime stay hydrated, nighttime stay hydrated use repellent and bug suit. If possible use a shooting stick or rest of some sort to steady on. Texaslawman has an excellent video on where to shoot hogs, neck, spine, organ locations. It's LoneStarBoars on Youtube .

Most importantly be safe, and have fun.

Here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGjSGe8-fqM

Last edited by customcutter; 08/20/15 11:10 PM.

God Bless
Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: Stickman11b] #5888139 08/20/15 11:44 PM
S
Stickman11b Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I am night hunting. Won't the hogs smell the insect repellent if I spray it on me?

-ERNEST HEMINGWAY
Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: Stickman11b] #5888164 08/20/15 11:55 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Think walmart has some non-scented spray insect repellant... flag

i'm postaddic
Re: First hog hunt ever! [Re: Stickman11b] #5888335 08/21/15 01:39 AM
C
customcutter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Originally Posted By: Stickman11b
I am night hunting. Won't the hogs smell the insect repellent if I spray it on me?

Yes, they probably will if the wind is blowing toward them. Hopefully the wind will be in your favor. Check the wind before applying bug repellent. If it's night time they won't see you swatting mosquito's. Wear a bug suit, light gloves, face mask, etc, to help keep them off, as an alternative to bug spray.

God Bless
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide