Re: 7mm Elk Bullet [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #5884021 08/18/15 02:09 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
No there isn't any thing more then impact velocity. Every bullet is designed with in a threshold. Above or below that threshold the design aspect you speak of is useless. All bullets are designed for a certain penetration and mushroom expansion. That only happens with in a velocity range.

A partition or monolithic is nothing more then FMJ under a certain velocity. A bonded bullet will do the same under a certain velocity. Just like a Nosler BT or Berger VLD is nothing more then fly bits of copper and lead alloy over a certain velocity and even can act like a FMJ at extremely low velocities.

I agree with this to some extent. Mono metal bullets and even bonded bullets are hard they require lots of speed on impact to work correctly, in my opinion more speed than a bunch of caliber offerings are capable of offering. A nosler partition requires in my mind no more speed to function correctly than a rem corlock, sierra game king etc. however in the event of hi velocity/close range impact/heavy bone etc. it has the partition for backup to finish the job.

This exemplifies what I see a lot in the discussion and gets a lot of hand-wringing going. Which leads to the bullet choices described above. At what most consider reasonable hunting ranges (400 yards and under) proper expansion using a monometal is not an issue to be concerned with. (Actually, a more valid concern would be lack of expansion at close range in high velocity calibers, but even that is overblown IMO.)

I have no idea why someone would come to the conclusion that monolithic's are less likely to expand at a guns peak velocity.

Now if one wants to argue less penetration due to over expansion I would consider that since it doesn't defy the laws of physics. Even then that's depends on the integrity of any bullet at high velocity impact.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: 7mm Elk Bullet [Re: DStroud] #5884252 08/18/15 04:33 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
You just do the best you can and use a bullet that stacks the odds in your favor given the most likely scenarios. For elk, that's a bullet on the tougher side of the bell curve.

Even for sheep, a lot of guys like the more assured penetration of monometals just in case they hit bone such as the shoulder blade. Especially in the open country of the north, where a sheep going a ways before succumbing is not an issue. I actually used a TSX on my Yukon sheep hunt - not for the sheep but because I also had a grizzly tag. The country was wide open above timberline so I was comfortable with my choice and it was not a problem anyway (ram spun around and fell dead at the shot).

Despite that result, if I were lucky enough to hunt sheep in more treed/brushy country, I would not use a monometal but instead use an AB, partition, or even plain old cup and core bullet.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: 7mm Elk Bullet [Re: J.G.] #5885992 08/19/15 05:54 PM
B
bo3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: bo323
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
(Actually, a more valid concern would be lack of expansion at close range in high velocity calibers, but even that is overblown IMO.)

Could you explain how this is possible? That's an old wives tale. Higher velocity means more not less expansion. If it's close enough the bullet may not be fully stable yet resulting in a higher propensity to yaw after impact at close range causing fragmentation.

No proof exists of a bullet not being stable at close range. Speaking of wives tales.

Brian Litz still has an open invite for anyone that can prove this hypothesis.

Yaw may occur in transsonic flight and that may be well beyond 1000 yards.

You may got to YouTube and watch bryan litz video. Pitch, yaw, and bullet path. I believe your talking about being able to shoot smaller groups at longer range. He did have a thread at long range hunting testing this.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide