475962 Topics
6243650 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#5879581 - 08/15/15 08:41 AM Where do you field dress your deer
Tru2lifetaxidermy Offline
Bird Dog

This will be year 2 for me hunting in Texas, I am a northern guy stationed down here and all my hunting has been, MN, IA, ND, SD, MT. Question is, the few guys I hunted with last year would bring their kill home or back to the campers to gut. For those of you that do this, why? I and those other northern folk generally gut where they fall or close to it. This way you get it out before it starts to blow up and ruin meat, don't bring that mess back with you and makes the animal lighter and easier to handle. I have never had animals spook over gut piles, in fact killed many animals while smelling the gut pile from a day or two prior, both elk and deer. I am not knocking anyone's process just wanted to know why some folks do this.

#5879600 - 08/15/15 09:00 AM Re: Where do you field dress your deer [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
sqiggy Offline

Loc: Franklin, Tx Hunt in Panola ...
Unless it's right under my stand, I'll gut it where it dropped.
I've gutted a many a deer in the morning and the gut pile would all be gone by the afternoon hunt.
Oh, to answer your question, more than likely, the reason people do it at camp or home, they can clean it up easier with a water hose handy.

Edited by sqiggy (08/15/15 09:03 AM)

#5879602 - 08/15/15 09:03 AM Re: Where do you field dress your deer [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
We clean ours at camp, the longest they go is about three hours and usually much less than that. Personally I have seen lots of deer shy from gut piles. Also, although we haven't yet built our cleaning station, it's handy because there is water to clean up afterwards and light as well. Our cats and Great Pyrennes appreciate the food.

Edited by QuitShootinYoungBucks (08/15/15 09:04 AM)
Edit Reason: We don't have hogs

#5879609 - 08/15/15 09:07 AM Re: Where do you field dress your deer [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
rattler03 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Richardson - Archer County
I always gut mine in the field, usually where they fall. If its right in my main shooting lane or under my feeder I'll drag it off 50 yards or so and gut it there. I will also move it to an area where I can get the headlights on it if it is already dark.
-Robert Earl Keen

#5879618 - 08/15/15 09:13 AM Re: Where do you field dress your deer [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
Bird Dog

Quit shooting.....3 hours? Are they not bloated by then?

#5879625 - 08/15/15 09:27 AM Re: Where do you field dress your deer [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
Simple Searcher Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Helotes, Hext
Depends.
Some places I hunt have a designated place to dump guts, they just want to make sure guts are not left near camp.
We generally throw the animals in the Ranger and make the few minute drive back to camp where we weigh, gut, skin and hang in the cooler.
The few minutes to drive to camp ain't hurting the meat all all. And two guys can handle any Texas whitetail. The animal will not "blow up" in the short trip.

Example:
I shoot a deer and it falls at the feeder, I load it up an drive back to camp. In 10 minutes it is gutted.
My buddy shoots a deer with his bow (or a bad shot with a rifle). Then waits the 15-30 minutes to go look for it. We look and track for 15-30 minutes, or even for a few hours. He guts it right there. I beat him by an hour or more and I gutted at camp.
Neither animal is ruined.

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark

#5879628 - 08/15/15 09:30 AM Re: Where do you field dress your deer [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: The Woodlands, Tx
My property owner doesn't want gut piles left on the land. I cart the deer back to the ranch house which takes all of 20 minutes.

But as I grow older and get more experience, I think this idea of getting the guts out of the animal to let it cool down immediately or else the meat is "ruined" is a false one. I've eaten animals that weren't recovered until the next day, and they tasted just fine.

#5879630 - 08/15/15 09:32 AM Re: Where do you field dress your deer [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
THF Trophy Hunter

If by bloated you mean do the gasses build up in their stomachs? Yes, but I've seen that happen in a lot less than three hours. We've taken well over 200 deer in the last 30 years and never had a problem. Again, many times it is not three hours but in cooler weather I've never had a problem shooting a deer at first light and cleaning it at 10am back at camp. One of the reasons we clean at camp is we tend to shoot in groups; three hunters might bring in a deer and I'm usually the cleaner because I'm fast and strong.

#5879631 - 08/15/15 09:32 AM Re: Where do you field dress your deer [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: The Woodlands, Tx
The experts will also tell you that the meat should never get wet or you're going to get sick from it but it has been SOP in Texas for decades to quarter deer and put them under ice in a freezer and keep it like that for several days and well, we all alive and kickin'.

#5879638 - 08/15/15 09:41 AM Re: Where do you field dress your deer [Re: postoak]
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: postoak
But as I grow older and get more experience, I think this idea of getting the guts out of the animal to let it cool down immediately or else the meat is "ruined" is a false one. I've eaten animals that weren't recovered until the next day, and they tasted just fine.

In my experience this is very true. I shot a spike one evening that managed to fall into a dry creek bed almost under the bank and we didn't find him until the next morning despite being right on top of him. Overnight temp was around 40 and the meat was nice and cold. He ate well.

#5879669 - 08/15/15 10:01 AM Re: Where do you field dress your deer [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Dollas,Taxes Bluff Dale Tx
Camp. Cleaning station, water, gambrel, pandora, libations, and a couple of extra hands. It's a no brainer for me.

Edited by Erathkid (08/15/15 10:02 AM)
Edit Reason: no caffeine

#5879675 - 08/15/15 10:07 AM Re: Where do you field dress your deer [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
Bird Dog

Good to hear the comments and to those that think I was trying to stir the pot I was not. Just trying to see what others do and why. I to have had to recover animals the next day and meat was still good. To those that have a meat cooler at camp I envy you. I used to being able to hang deer and elk for 2 weeks up north and butcher our selves. Now it's a rush to the butcher in this weather. Once again thanks for the thoughts as to why.......we all were brought up different and learn from those in front of us. Good luck to all this year!

#5879689 - 08/15/15 10:18 AM Re: Where do you field dress your deer [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
I do mine where it falls unless by the feeder and I have yet to shot one standing there eating corn, so...

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#5879744 - 08/15/15 10:47 AM Re: Where do you field dress your deer [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
billybob Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Southlake, TX, Billy Bob Ranch...
I drive back and get the tractor...hang it from the fel... clean it at the barn where it can be washed, butchered and put in a freezer. The guts go in the fel and dispersed somewhere away from the barn. Gut pile usually don't last more than 2 days.

#5879784 - 08/15/15 11:14 AM Re: Where do you field dress your deer [Re: Tru2lifetaxidermy]
unclebubba Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Collin County, TX
I do both depending on the situation. If the deer drops where there will be a long drag, I gut right there because it makes for an easier drag. If he/she falls where it is a short drag to a trail or road where I can get my Truck, then I will use the cleaning station. Much easier to gut and wash with water when they are hanging and you have a hose. If you gut at the cleaning station, it is also easier to save the heart and liver. yum!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide