Print Thread
Looking for Montana Mule deer hunt #5878909 08/14/15 09:47 PM
T
tdbduckhunter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Anyone have any experience in Montana with a good guide? Looking for a trip for both my dad and I.
Thanks.

Last edited by tdbduckhunter; 08/14/15 09:47 PM.
Re: Looking for Montana Mule deer hunt [Re: tdbduckhunter] #5879436 08/15/15 08:45 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
hubbards lodge - awesome place

You can't fix stupid
Re: Looking for Montana Mule deer hunt [Re: tdbduckhunter] #5879977 08/15/15 07:39 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
I've hunted in the Rocky Mountains of Western Montana with every other hunter on the planet. Lots and lots of people everywhere you go. It wasn't a great experience and I'll probably never hunt there again unless it's on a big private ranch. I also hunted in South East Montana and loved it. All the hunting was on private land and we never saw any other hunters. It was out of Broadus and the outfitter had leases for something like 300,000 acres. We hunted during the peak of the rut and everyone in camp saw a dozen 4x4 bucks or better every day. Most tagged out in three days. I shot mine of the fifth day, which was a real nice 28 inch wide buck that scored close to 160. My buddy shot his 6x5 on the third day that scored 180. There was ten guys hunting and most of the other bucks where nice average mule deer bucks that they could have done a lot better on if they had held out. I saw several that where a lot better then what I shot, but never got close enough for a shot. The day after I shot mine, a much bigger buck stood right out in a field that we had hunted a few days before and totally ignored us while we where shooting ground hogs.

Do a search on mule deer hunting in Broadus Montana, you might be surprised at what's out there!!!

Just be sure not to book with an outfitter that also is a guide school. You end up with some rooking right out of guide school that doesn't have a clue.

Last edited by EddieWalker; 08/15/15 11:55 PM.
Re: Looking for Montana Mule deer hunt [Re: tdbduckhunter] #5880204 08/15/15 11:48 PM
338ultra Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Don't use Wayne Hill

http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr223/jaschancey/RightSide-1.jpg
See Rule 17: Sig pics to be no more than 600 pixels wide x 125 pixels tall.
Re: Looking for Montana Mule deer hunt [Re: EddieWalker] #5880274 08/16/15 12:39 AM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
I've hunted in the Rocky Mountains of Western Montana with every other hunter on the planet. Lots and lots of people everywhere you go. It wasn't a great experience and I'll probably never hunt there again unless it's on a big private ranch. I also hunted in South East Montana and loved it. All the hunting was on private land and we never saw any other hunters. It was out of Broadus and the outfitter had leases for something like 300,000 acres. We hunted during the peak of the rut and everyone in camp saw a dozen 4x4 bucks or better every day. Most tagged out in three days. I shot mine of the fifth day, which was a real nice 28 inch wide buck that scored close to 160. My buddy shot his 6x5 on the third day that scored 180. There was ten guys hunting and most of the other bucks where nice average mule deer bucks that they could have done a lot better on if they had held out. I saw several that where a lot better then what I shot, but never got close enough for a shot. The day after I shot mine, a much bigger buck stood right out in a field that we had hunted a few days before and totally ignored us while we where shooting ground hogs.

Do a search on mule deer hunting in Broadus Montana, you might be surprised at what's out there!!!

Just be sure not to book with an outfitter that also is a guide school. You end up with some rooking right out of guide school that doesn't have a clue.

You happen to share camp with a guy who goes by Rich and perhaps his wife? (Big guy, kind of screams LEO)

Re: Looking for Montana Mule deer hunt [Re: tdbduckhunter] #5880320 08/16/15 01:08 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Gods country outfitters. Have hunted with Shane several times, if finances allowed it would hunt with him every year.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Looking for Montana Mule deer hunt [Re: tdbduckhunter] #5880680 08/16/15 01:00 PM
K
kmartinusa Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
I went on my first mule deer hunt last November with Chris Faber's outfit- http://bearpawhunts.com

It is a great operation and I've never seen so many deer in my life. The accommodations are exactly what I wanted...not too fancy and certainly not a dump, just nice. They've got access to over a half million acres, spread over many different ranches. We were there for peak rut and never saw any other hunters on the ranches we hunted, many of the places we went hadn't been hunted yet and the season was almost over. Everyone got a buck and they always kill some really nice deer. Had to restrain myself from the biggest whitetail I've ever seen while hunting because it was the first day and I really wanted a muley. My mule deer is quite nice but I'm still second guessing myself.

Had a ball. My guide was Chris Boyce who is a rancher himself who guides because he enjoys doing it. One of the other guides told me that nobody starts bragging until 'ol Chris returns from the field. I'd go with him again in a heartbeat.

I'd go back this year too and my friend is doing just that. My wallet dictates that I only take one paid hunt per year. I'm sticking closer to home this time in New Mexico. I will rebook with them in years to come. Just a well run outfit with great ranches with a TON of land and they don't over harvest. You can see their operation on Keith Warrens show, I think he films there most years. Thankfully we went the week after he'd left.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by kmartinusa; 08/16/15 08:42 PM.

Originally Posted by LandPirate
We kept it as a pet for several months until it got run over by a truck. Then we ate him.
Re: Looking for Montana Mule deer hunt [Re: tdbduckhunter] #5886247 08/19/15 09:06 PM
T
tdbduckhunter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Thanks guys.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide