When I started carving this snipe, a knot in the head fell out. I decided then to leave the knot out and try my hand at a "fake antique" style. So anyway, here are the "before" pictures. In a couple weeks when this paint has had a chance to cure a little bit, I'll beat it up. Shoot it. Rust the nail. Scratch it up. Make it look nice and old, or at least try to.
The nail and the dowel are not glued in, for easier transportation in the field.
Looks a lot better than what I could put on the table. I bet it looks fine when you're done. And about that knot-you could just say that decoy had been on Lake Murray...where that lady got the brain eating amoeba and died a week after being in the water. Nah, it's probably too soon for that...disregard.