Page 1 of 2 1 2
Would you ask to borrow a tractor? #5872149 08/10/15 08:00 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
R
Really curious about this as I've had two individuals ask me last week if they could borrow my tractor/shredder and I told them "no, I don't loan or rent it out." Both were a bit put out with me. confused2

Kind of surprised me as I know both these fellows are we are not friends. To me that would be like asking them if I could borrow their 2015 Lincoln MKC and run it about 15 hours on a road trip.

Would you ask to borrow a tractor?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 08/10/15 07:54 PM
Last edited by Ranch Dog; 08/10/15 08:00 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872161 08/10/15 08:08 PM
S
shightower Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Funny you ask. I have thought about doing this. I didn't do it though. I have considered having the owner of the tractor shred for me, and pay them for their time.

Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872174 08/10/15 08:15 PM
M
Matt Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
M
I have asked my neighbors if they'd hire their tractor out...with them driving...to help me accomplish something I could not do on my own. Usually they don't mind, as long as I don't put a time frame on anything. Their equipment, their time, their way, and paid to do it. So far this has worked for me.

Thanks!!
Matt

The psycho nut bags have always been there. They just get better press now.
Take away their guns, they'll use knives. Take away their knives and they'll use sticks!!
Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872196 08/10/15 08:26 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I voted YES, but, I own three tractors and operate them all. Tractor, FEL, and bush hog is my friend. I would only ask if I knew you well enough that you wouldn't worry about your tractor.

I've had neighbors I rarely speak to call me up and say 'Get your tractor down here, I need some dirt moved.' I chuckled as I hung up the phone.

It's not unusual for me to see a new family trying to move five tons of dirt with a shovel and a couple of kids. In that case, I usually hop on the 4720 and go to their assistance. I've never taken a penny, but it's always offered.

You know, I don't think anybody has ever offered me help like that. Wierd.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872199 08/10/15 08:28 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
If they act put out, tell them your offended they even ask. I don't understand why some folks are like that,m they certainly don't want the payment and maintenance cost that comes with it. I actually heard someone say "why buy it if I can borrow one".

If they get butt hurt that easy, they shouldn't ask in the 1st place. My tractor doesn't leave unless I'm pulling it, or in the seat, not like it is a $75 skill saw.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872214 08/10/15 08:35 PM
SCone Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
"Sure.... can I borrow your wife?"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
- J. B. Books

For your ID Theft & Legal needs...
http://scone.legalshieldassociate.com
Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872217 08/10/15 08:36 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I have never asked and would never ask. However, I have borrowed a tractor that was offered repeatedly to the point I thought I would upset them if I declined.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: redchevy] #5872223 08/10/15 08:40 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I have never asked and would never ask. However, I have borrowed a tractor that was offered repeatedly to the point I thought I would upset them if I declined.

I think that is different and that individual knew you could operate it correctly. I have had a few offered, but will find another way, or offer to pay them to do it. Did that one hay season when my big tractor went down.

Dennis

Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872232 08/10/15 08:44 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
No nor would I loan one out.

Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872235 08/10/15 08:45 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I asked two different friend's to rent me their tractors once. One let me use it for free, but I helped him out a lot without any pay. I filled it with fuel when I returned it. The other took a fuel storage tank(was not being used) in trade for use if his tractor and 15' shredder for one full week of shredding all roads/fencelines on 5100 acres. I replaced the air filter on it and filled it with fuel.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872237 08/10/15 08:45 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I loaned my NAA to an old friend so he could keep the church mowed because the church 8N was down. I was over there hanging out and watching him mow the first time and the preacher walked over and asked me when I'd have the tractor fixed.

Where's the parts?

In my truck.

Tomorrow.

I figured that was the quickest way to get my NAA back. The preacher is an old friend too.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872238 08/10/15 08:46 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
It's like asking to borrow someone's boat. You really don't want to the headache of dealing with things if something breaks on it.

Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: don k] #5872241 08/10/15 08:47 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: don k
No nor would I loan one out.

Uhh, does that include heavy equipment like a dozer ? not that I'm asking peep

Dennis

Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872250 08/10/15 08:52 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
The tractor I borrowed was a 60's model that had been setting up for a long time. We had a radiator hose break, the radiator cap seal didn't seal, the slip clutch on the shredder went out, and the alternator and battery went out on it.

We replaced the coolant, battery, and hoses. Tried to pay for alternator and slip clutch and was refused multiple times.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872254 08/10/15 08:56 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
I might ask to borrow one from someone I knew well for the sake of pulling out another tractor that was stuck, but to do real work with one such as shredding, plowing, etc.? Never without expecting to compensate the owner fully for the hours I put on it, and that's called 'renting', not borrowing. Wouldn't loan mine out without a very similar agreement although in order to help a friend who was in a bind I would probably offer to come run it if they'd pay the fuel.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872256 08/10/15 08:58 PM
7ARanch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I have a buddy that does a lot of work on my property and in return he hunts out there. We've been friends for 20 yrs so I don't think anything of it...until I find out he loaded my tractor and shredder on to my trailer and takes it help out a buddy of his on his lease. I was more than a little put out. I know that he and the other guy can't pay to repair my tractor if something were to break. We had a quite discussion and never had a problem since but I was more than a little peeved.

Destroyer 340; Easton Flatline; Grim Reapers
Not as Mean Not as Lean but still a Marine

Billy Bob: My nose is dripping on my balls...
Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872265 08/10/15 09:05 PM
TraderJR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I would not ask to borrow it but I would offer to pay you to do the shredding.

Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872294 08/10/15 09:25 PM
K
KG68 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Family I lease to but others. He!! no.

Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872307 08/10/15 09:34 PM
R
ralph Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Old tractors can be very tempermental. New tractors can be complicated. Not just anyone knows how to operate a tractor especially with mowers or other implements attached. Lot of people think you drive them just like cars or trucks. They don't know the first thing about safely operating tractors and equipment.

People who ask to borrow tractors are likely the same people to sue when they get hurt because of their stupidity.

I wouldn't borrow or lend a tractor.

Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: 7ARanch] #5872346 08/10/15 09:54 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: 7ARanch
I have a buddy that does a lot of work on my property and in return he hunts out there. We've been friends for 20 yrs so I don't think anything of it...until I find out he loaded my tractor and shredder on to my trailer and takes it help out a buddy of his on his lease. I was more than a little put out. I know that he and the other guy can't pay to repair my tractor if something were to break. We had a quite discussion and never had a problem since but I was more than a little peeved.

Believe it or not, I had something very similar to this happen this year as well. This is more of a matter of trust and it is still an active matter for me that will probably end the individuals use of my property (hunting) in its entirety.

The reason people are probably looking for a tractor/shredder is the heavy rain we experienced this year after four years of drought. January through June we received a full years worth of rain. The vegetation took off and now is dying. I've kept up with my ranch and I cannot image the obstacles out there hiding in that dead jungle of brush on other places.

My tractor/shredder combo represents a $42K investment and it pretty strange to me that anyone would ask. Years ago I had a MF35 and was constantly adding property so I soon outran it's ability. I just contracted the mowing with a business that did it until I could buy the appropriate equipment. I've always had to struggle to meet the payments of land and equipment and some years that included going with hunting because I had to lease my places to get by. I think that was about 7 years worth of doing without so I could take care of business.

I do help others, my neighbors, if I see them struggling with something but them getting use to it is another thing.

[Linked Image]
Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872347 08/10/15 09:54 PM
E
EddieWalker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
At one time I was in a partnership with a guy who was always lending out our stuff. Every single time it came back with something wrong that he would have to fix, and they usually kept it much longer then they said they would. This was a big reason in ending that partnership!!!!

I've found that when somebody wants to borrow something, I tell them what it would cost me to replace it and if they want to give me that cash amount, then I'm fine with them borrowing it, but if I need it and it's not returned, I'm buying a new one with their cash. So far out of a dozen plus people who have asked, not a one has felt comfortable with letting me hold their cash. What I find really funny is they think it's OK for them to hold onto what I paid for, but not the other way around.

Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: EddieWalker] #5872377 08/10/15 10:14 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
At one time I was in a partnership with a guy who was always lending out our stuff. Every single time it came back with something wrong that he would have to fix, and they usually kept it much longer then they said they would. This was a big reason in ending that partnership!!!!

I've found that when somebody wants to borrow something, I tell them what it would cost me to replace it and if they want to give me that cash amount, then I'm fine with them borrowing it, but if I need it and it's not returned, I'm buying a new one with their cash. So far out of a dozen plus people who have asked, not a one has felt comfortable with letting me hold their cash. What I find really funny is they think it's OK for them to hold onto what I paid for, but not the other way around.

Very well said!

[Linked Image]
Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872383 08/10/15 10:18 PM
T
T Bone Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Hell no.. It was more than some folks house..

[/URL]

Originally Posted by Jungleexplorer
I really hate to do what I am about to do, because it will be very painful for you.

Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: Ranch Dog] #5872394 08/10/15 10:23 PM
D
dawaba Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
My good neighbor across the road had his tractor break down (he says it will need a new engine) and his 5 acre pasture grew head high with weeds. I offered to let him borrow my tractor and shredder to mow it until he could scrounge a new motor for his. He said he would but never came around, and the weeds just got higher. When I saw him again, I once again offered the loan of my rig. This time he declined, saying that he would hate to borrow my tractor and then be responsible if something broke. So, the next morning while he was at work, I mowed his pasture for him.

I think that's the best way. I've done my fair share of tearing up stuff; at least if I do it myself, I have only myself to blame.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple.....and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Re: Would you ask to borrow a tractor? [Re: dawaba] #5872397 08/10/15 10:25 PM
T
T Bone Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: dawaba
My good neighbor across the road had his tractor break down (he says it will need a new engine) and his 5 acre pasture grew head high with weeds. I offered to let him borrow my tractor and shredder to mow it until he could scrounge a new motor for his. He said he would but never came around, and the weeds just got higher. When I saw him again, I once again offered the loan of my rig. This time he declined, saying that he would hate to borrow my tractor and then be responsible if something broke. So, the next morning while he was at work, I mowed his pasture for him.

I think that's the best way. I've done my fair share of tearing up stuff; at least if I do it myself, I have only myself to blame.

With good friends & good neighbors, this is a great solution.. Bravo, sir.. up

Originally Posted by Jungleexplorer
I really hate to do what I am about to do, because it will be very painful for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide