Moto382 Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
M
Banded Buys Avery Outdoors
BY JOE BALOG AUTHOR OF THE DUCK BLOG WITH JOE BALOGAUGUST 6, 2015
The making of a waterfowl mega-brand

To many in the waterfowl world, Avery has always been a legendary brand, in operation before many of us learned to hunt. By comparison, Banded is a recently new name, but has already proven it’s worth with extremely hardcore gear; built for the hunter by hunters.

Now, they are one.

Banded Holdings recently released news of its acquisition of Avery Outdoors, Inc. of Memphis, Tenn.. The purchase likely represents the largest joining of manufacturers specializing in waterfowl gear in the history of the sport.

At first glance, such ventures are often at the expense of the consumer. Each of these brands has tremendous market presence, and each has specialty items they do best. Avery’s Sporting Dog line of gear has always been popular, and its decoys are the best-selling in the world. What will come of such products is yet to be seen, but I would imagine Banded recognizes their value, and will only improve and expand on the line.

I can honestly say that gear carrying the Banded brand is some of the best around. The guys behind the name are hardcore hunters. I’ve hung out and hunted with many of them, and most have years of experience pursuing waterfowl in various areas of the country. These guys go hard, and they demand that their gear keeps up; believe me, junk items are immediately culled from the herd.

In addition, Banded has always pushed the envelope with new design ideas, particularly in regards to clothing. Its Red Zone waders - breathable models that truly wear like bibs - are a case in point. Perhaps the Banded designer-eye, coupled with Avery’s long-time field-proven products, will result in items never before seen.

We will have to wait and see. This will be a crazy year with consumers unsure of what will come of their trusted Avery-branded goods. However, I’m confident the result will be a waterfowl mega-brand that we'll all come to trust. Banded’s gear will continue to back up the claims - let’s just hope it’s all offered in MAX-5.

Realtree MAX-5® Camo Waterfowl North America Shotgun The Duck Blog with Joe Balog

Samatis Baits Pro Staff
Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: Moto382] #5871221 08/10/15 01:55 AM
Y
Yardboy Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Y
Waterfowling was better before that dbag Chad Belding and the like came on the scene.

Coming soon: waxed Avery hat with a flat bill.

Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: Moto382] #5871408 08/10/15 03:43 AM
R
Roc Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Here is what this means

Avery - decoys, layout blinds, dog stuff

Banded - crappy calls, bags, clothing, waders

Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: Moto382] #5871541 08/10/15 12:26 PM
E
Elpatoloco Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Avery sells a bunch of Chinese Junk anyhow.

Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: Roc] #5871548 08/10/15 12:39 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Roc
Here is what this means

Avery - decoys, layout blinds, dog stuff

Banded - crappy calls, bags, clothing, waders

Actually shocked at the quality of branded gear(clothing, bags and waders). Actually smokes drakes as far as quality

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: Moto382] #5871751 08/10/15 03:12 PM
W
woodduckhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
will definitely be interesting to see how this plays out. Have always been impressed with the realism of the decoys and the different poses that they offer. Especially in every specie practically. But, I will agree that the durability is not top of the line. I think what was said above will prevail, but it would be nice if they would improve the overall quality.

Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: Moto382] #5874447 08/12/15 02:19 AM
T
Ty Webb Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
My .02:
In the past couple of years I've hunted with dozens of hunters and nearly a dozen different outfitters and not once have I seen someone use a single piece of banded gear. No waders, no decoys, no dog vests, no calls, nothing.
To me, that sums up the desperation banded had that led to this buyout.

Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: Ty Webb] #5874628 08/12/15 04:07 AM
D
duckboogieman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: J.P.
...... not once have I seen someone use a single piece of banded gear. .

Like most I won't even consider it with Chad Belding association.

That and is it just me or do their products just look cheap?

Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: Moto382] #5874760 08/12/15 12:24 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
I have some banded stuff that I bought because it was on clearance. I like it fine.

#sigline
Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: duckboogieman] #5874761 08/12/15 12:24 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: duckboogieman
...... not once have I seen someone use a single piece of banded gear. .

Like most I won't even consider it with Chad Belding association.

That and is it just me or do their products just look cheap?

Who cares if the guy is a d bag? If they have good stuff at a decent price I'd buy it.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: Ty Webb] #5874765 08/12/15 12:29 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
My .02:
In the past couple of years I've hunted with dozens of hunters and nearly a dozen different outfitters and not once have I seen someone use a single piece of banded gear. No waders, no decoys, no dog vests, no calls, nothing.

I know a couple guides that are using their layouts blinds and they have been impressed.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5874770 08/12/15 12:33 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
My .02:

I know a couple guides that are using their layouts blinds and they have been impressed.

calmdown Bobo. City duck hunting don't count!

Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: Moto382] #5875814 08/12/15 10:54 PM
F
Fooshman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
F
I bought a couple of their gun cases before last season. Started using one after wearing out an older one. Only reason I bought them was because they were cheap. confused2

[Linked Image]

Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: Moto382] #5876851 08/13/15 03:25 PM
A
aggieraf Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
I know this is going to open up a can of worms but I have no idea who this is or what he's done. Can anyone elaborate as to why he is so hated? What did he do? What does he do?

Thanks

Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: BarneyWho] #5877175 08/13/15 07:36 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: BarneyWho
My .02:

calmdown Bobo. City duck hunting don't count!

Of course it counts...limit is a limit

Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: aggieraf] #5877540 08/13/15 11:56 PM
Carter Tinsley Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Originally Posted By: aggieraf
I know this is going to open up a can of worms but I have no idea who this is or what he's done. Can anyone elaborate as to why he is so hated? What did he do? What does he do?

Thanks

He is like a MMA/Affliction type dude. He whoops and hollers when they kill a bunch of ducks. He probably likes Nashville "country" too. He personally hasn't done anything to harm me or anyone else for that matter. I just don't like his style and I'm guessing that's most people's issue as well.

Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #5877960 08/14/15 04:08 AM
D
duckboogieman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D

Great!! Please tell us which ones so we can all update our "guides to avoid" list. Jk......

Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: Carter Tinsley] #5878401 08/14/15 03:07 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted By: Carter Tinsley
Originally Posted By: aggieraf

Thanks

He is like a MMA/Affliction type dude. He whoops and hollers when they kill a bunch of ducks. He probably likes Nashville "country" too. He personally hasn't done anything to harm me or anyone else for that matter. I just don't like his style and I'm guessing that's most people's issue as well.

Companies now days appeal to the newest, youngest generation to market waterfowl hunting as some extreme sport as that is what sells products. Chad Belding owns, partners in, endorses some of these companies. I personally rarely watch his TV shows. Just too over the top and too much marketing. But then that goes for most all hunting shows anymore. He is not going to appeal to us old school guys. I mostly wear army surplus, walmart clearance, flannel wool shirts. Using two words from banded's marketing, I don't need my waders to be a "system" and don't need my hunting clothes to be "tactical". But the man is not dumb. I bet the profit margin on that cheap china import gear is incredible and it is not like the majority of the people it is marketed to is really going to use it enough to matter on the quality. He is riding the current wave and doing cartwheels to the bank. I don't blame him. I keep expecting to see another man who rode the wave of his day, Vanilla Ice come out with hunting shows and branded hunting products.

Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: Moto382] #5878901 08/14/15 09:40 PM
#
#Hayraker Offline
Chihuahua
Chihuahua
#
Christian Curtis runs that company and he is traditional as they come.

#sigline
Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: Sniper John] #5879102 08/15/15 12:26 AM
T
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Sniper John
He is not going to appeal to us old school guys. I mostly wear army surplus, walmart clearance, flannel wool shirts. Using two words from banded's marketing, I don't need my waders to be a "system" and don't need my hunting clothes to be "tactical". But the man is not dumb. I bet the profit margin on that cheap china import gear is incredible and it is not like the majority of the people it is marketed to is really going to use it enough to matter on the quality. He is riding the current wave and doing cartwheels to the bank. I don't blame him. I keep expecting to see another man who rode the wave of his day, Vanilla Ice come out with hunting shows and branded hunting products.

Gotta love the age old battle between old guys who are so proud to use old, cheap, crappy stuff, and young guys who brag about having the latest and greatest. grin If everyone would stop beating their chest about how great a hunter they are and just get out and hunt, the ducks would really be in trouble.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal."
Re: Banded buys out Avery... [Re: Moto382] #5881096 08/16/15 06:22 PM
Dave Speer Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
everyone knows you can't shoot this year's ducks with last year's gear

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide