Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,757
Posts9,728,741
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Any Disabled and/or Combat Vets Looking For Deer Lease? (1 Spot in Meridian) $1000 #5864552 08/05/15 06:08 PM
Jigo23 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Need to fill a spot on a small lease in Meridian ASAP! Wanted to give a fellow disabled/retired combat vet first crack at a nice little gem of a lease with plenty of deer MORE than plenty hogs. It's 125 acres total with the best 54 acres designated to the two of us. We are pretty easy going about sharing our areas since its very rare that all 3 of us have ever been there at the same time. The landowner's nephew hunts the other side of the property but usually only comes to town 1 week at Thanksgiving and 1 week at Christmas. I will probably be limited somewhat due to back surgeries so many times you could have the run of the place. The property backs right up to the Bosque River with mix of heavier woods/cedars and large open oat field with creeks/pond/river. Ground blinds/elevated stands, numerous tree stands, feeders in place. I have several trail cams and hog lights to put up.
Deer: Awesome 10 pt before my buddy even made it to the stand on our very first hunt. I havent gotten to hunt more than 5 or 6 times so haven't shot a buck yet. should have shot a 9 pt, been watching two great (and legal technically) 8 pts the last two years in our area, just too young tho with lots of potential. This year all bets are off :-) We've seen several other great big body/big racks at a distance or no shot able. We know we aren't growing B&C Trophies, but don't want anyone who is just going to shoot every deer that comes along just cause it has horns either. Plenty of does can pretty much be taken at will. Killed several hogs too but seen a LOT more as well as bobcats and turkeys too.
Landowner lives at property and is a super nice laid back guy. We're all pretty informal, no written contracts or rule books. Common sense, common courtesy, and the Golden Rule has worked just fine so far. NO DRAMA! I am still new to having my very own lease, but have learned a thing or two over the years coming home on leave and hunting with my buddies. I'm no professional hunter by any means, so somebody more experienced would be great! Always eager to learn something I didn't know.
Technically, it was not initially a "year-round" lease but free to go out anytime to work on stands, feed, clear brush etc. but now that he knows nobody is going to be out there all hours of the day/night partying and raising hell on 4-wheelers and tearing up the place, he is more open to the idea. We can go out and hunt hogs and do a little night varmint hunting too. Just give him a courtesy call beforehand. He's a very hands-off LO though but always happy to chat on the rare occasion you bump into him at the gate. He loves to hear good huntin' stories and most of all he loves for us to be safe and have fun on his place!
Price is $1000 due ASAP. He may let you split payments, you'd just have to talk to him about that.
He likes to keep guests limited, especially during deer season, but occasionally like when nobody else is out there, it's fine to bring 1 guest (or maybe two if sharing a stand). Simple communication and consideration is king.
No cabin or utilities, but one guy worked out a deal to park a camper near his barn and ran an electric line for him. Like I said, very laid back, helpful and accommodating.
We both also have feelers out with old friends and family, but nothing firm yet. I just wanted to post here and see if any banged up Vets like me are looking for a good place to hunt that doesn't cost you every remaining good body part we have. I'm banged up pretty good and fairly BENT but I ain't BROKE yet :-) Will keep dragging my [censored] to the peace and tranquility of the woods as long as able! Let me know if interested, have a few pics and a google Earth map of property. I need to go down there next week, so can probably swing a tour if REALLY interested.
PM me here
Thanks!
Jim Gober
MSgt, USAF-USSOCOM (Ret)

If you wanna run with the big dogs, you gotta get off the porch!
Re: Any Disabled and/or Combat Vets Looking For Deer Lease? (1 Spot in Meridian) $1000 [Re: Jigo23] #5866996 08/07/15 12:36 AM
G
gonehunting Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Pm sent

Re: Any Disabled and/or Combat Vets Looking For Deer Lease? (1 Spot in Meridian) $1000 [Re: Jigo23] #5867277 08/07/15 03:27 AM
T
tjhook Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
PM sent

Re: Any Disabled and/or Combat Vets Looking For Deer Lease? (1 Spot in Meridian) $1000 [Re: Jigo23] #5868111 08/07/15 06:31 PM
G
gorio Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
PM Sent.

Re: Any Disabled and/or Combat Vets Looking For Deer Lease? (1 Spot in Meridian) $1000 [Re: Jigo23] #5869263 08/08/15 05:46 PM
Jigo23 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
Spot filled, please delete
Thanks!

If you wanna run with the big dogs, you gotta get off the porch!
Re: Any Disabled and/or Combat Vets Looking For Deer Lease? (1 Spot in Meridian) $1000 [Re: Jigo23] #5869285 08/08/15 06:16 PM
jeh7mmmag Offline
gramps
gramps
Thanks Jigo23 up

�Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in,
where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.�
~ John Muir
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide