Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Long Range Deer Hunting #5865022 08/05/15 11:27 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Well, I'm primarily a traditional shooter, but since I will be hunting public land this fall, I decided to break out my compound. I've been practicing out to 50 yards, and if I can find a couple more pins, I'll push that out to 60 or 70. My goal is to be able to take a deer at 50 yards this fall. What's the farthest that you've taken a deer with a bow?

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #5865334 08/06/15 02:10 AM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
I have stayed within 35 yards all my life.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #5865357 08/06/15 02:20 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
37 yards is my longest on deer, the rest have been less than 30.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: kmon11] #5865361 08/06/15 02:22 AM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
30-35 is the longest I will shoot at a whitetail. Good chance they won't still be there on shots much farther. I would go 60 on an elk if I ever get the chance.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #5865367 08/06/15 02:25 AM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
My plan is 30 yards or less, but if I have an opportunity on a calm deer at 40 or 50 yards, I want to be able to take it.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #5865386 08/06/15 02:34 AM
J
JThoele Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
At 53 yards I shot at a buck two seasons ago. I spent the summer practicing consistently out to 70-80 and for kicks occasionally out to 130. 53 yards on a target was a chip shot with a single pin sight set up. I felt good about the shot, the buck was oblivious to my presence before the shot, but when the arrow impacted the buck had dropped and it hit him in the spine. He dropped in his tracks. I immediately followed up with another shot that obliterated his heart and lungs. Quickest recovery to date.

I was lucky it worked out and have a 13 point buck on the wall that wouldn't be there had I passed on the shot...

The more likely outcome should have been a flesh wound or non vitals hit causing an unrecovered deer. Glad I lucked out once, but I don't think I'll tempt fate like that again.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #5865551 08/06/15 04:25 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
I will be hunting public land this fall. My goal is to be able to take a deer at 50 yards this fall. What's the farthest that you've taken a deer with a bow?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, are you or will you be hunting in a lot of open terrain?
I mean, there is a lot of public ground on the east side of Texas where a 50 yd shot would be impossible, much less to even see a deer that far out.
The way I set up, my average shot is 18 yds. My longest shot on a deer is around 21 yds. My closest is 5 yds. I like my shots short and sweet!!! grin

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: sqiggy] #5865681 08/06/15 12:09 PM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: sqiggy
I will be hunting public land this fall. My goal is to be able to take a deer at 50 yards this fall. What's the farthest that you've taken a deer with a bow?
I mean, there is a lot of public ground on the east side of Texas where a 50 yd shot would be impossible, much less to even see a deer that far out.
The way I set up, my average shot is 18 yds. My longest shot on a deer is around 21 yds. My closest is 5 yds. I like my shots short and sweet!!! grin

San Angelo.. not east Texas. Definitely possible to see game that far. I passed a 40 yard shot on a nice buck last season. I'm not making the same mistake twice.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #5865996 08/06/15 03:29 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S

San Angelo.. not east Texas.
Ok, but why not put the time in and study the area you're going to hunt and make your sets for a closer shot. A lot can happen/change from zero to 50 in a blink of an eye.
Just sayin!!!

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: sqiggy] #5866470 08/06/15 07:58 PM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T

San Angelo.. not east Texas.
Ok, but why not put the time in and study the area you're going to hunt and make your sets for a closer shot. A lot can happen/change from zero to 50 in a blink of an eye.
Just sayin!!!

Why limit yourself? Of course I prefer a closer shot, but why not be competent enough to shoot a deer at 40 yards if the need arises? The whole point of shooting a compound is the added distance. If I want to limit my shots to 20 yards and less, I'll shoot my recurve.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #5866755 08/06/15 10:25 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I'm not sayin at all you can't do it. I know people who can 12 ring a target all day long at 60, 70 yds.
BUT, they won't take a shot on a deer at that distance and most of them won't pass 30 because they know, at a live target, anything can happen, causing a shot that far to go south pretty quick.
What I am saying, you cannot predict what that deer at 50 yds is going to do. Lets say you are at full draw. Deer is 50 yards out. He's relaxed and feeding. You release your arrow and at the very same time, the deer takes a step. Where do you think the arrow is going to hit?

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: sqiggy] #5866883 08/06/15 11:44 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Texas whitetail are just too fast to be taking that long of a shot. Not saying it won't work occasionally but more times than not you won't hit where you were aiming. My two longest whitetail kills were at about 32 and 35 yards and both ducked and got spined. I feel like much farther and there is no telling where I would have hit.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #5867293 08/07/15 03:36 AM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Since y'all like to keep it close, I suggest you try traditional. At least then there is a challenge.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #5867316 08/07/15 03:56 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Since y'all like to keep it close, I suggest you try traditional. At least then there is a challenge.
The challenge is being able to get set up so close and undetected by a deer and then killing it.
If you want some long range shots, try a rifle. I hear they work pretty darn good!!!

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: sqiggy] #5867467 08/07/15 11:31 AM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
The challenge is being able to get set up so close and undetected by a deer and then killing it.
If you want some long range shots, try a rifle. I hear they work pretty darn good!!!

Exactly, the challenge is in being close, getting drawn and being undetected. It's not in if I can make an ethical clean kill. I try to eliminate that part. I'm very comfortable shooting 4 inch groups at sixty yards all day. And if one of those Red Deer shows up at sixty yards while I'm on stand this year, there's a good chance I will take the shot. But not a chance Im taking that shot on a whitetail.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: sqiggy] #5867472 08/07/15 11:37 AM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
https://youtu.be/8cFlwn70F
Originally Posted By: squiggy

Here is my analogy: shooting a deer with a muzzleloader at 100 yards is a pretty good accomplishment. Shooting the same deer at the same distance with .30-06 bolt action is a gimme shot.

Works the same with a bow. I'm not here to criticize your hunting preferences. Don't criticize mine.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #5867609 08/07/15 01:17 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
between 25 and 30. I wont shoot over 30 at a deer.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #5867735 08/07/15 02:55 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I'm not here to criticize your hunting preferences. Don't criticize mine.

Maybe you should go back and re-read your opening post. You are the one that stated "My goal is to take a deer at 50 yards with my bow"!!!
My question still remains, "WHY"???
Why chance a bad shot? I don't know any bow hunters that would even attempt a shot that far on a deer, even though they are very capable of doing so, just because they know a lot can happen or change in that distance.
A bow hunter's goal should be, How Close Can I Get!!! At least it's my goal and everybody else that I know.
Soooooooooooooooooooooooo, if you don't want to be "Criticized" on the way you plan to hunt, you should have kept those thoughts to yourself.
I'm starting to think you started this thread just to see what you could stir up stir

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: sqiggy] #5867887 08/07/15 04:23 PM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I'm not here to criticize your hunting preferences. Don't criticize mine.

Maybe you should go back and re-read your opening post. You are the one that stated "My goal is to take a deer at 50 yards with my bow"!!!
My question still remains, "WHY"???
Why chance a bad shot? I don't know any bow hunters that would even attempt a shot that far on a deer, even though they are very capable of doing so, just because they know a lot can happen or change in that distance.
A bow hunter's goal should be, How Close Can I Get!!! At least it's my goal and everybody else that I know.
Soooooooooooooooooooooooo, if you don't want to be "Criticized" on the way you plan to hunt, you should have kept those thoughts to yourself.
I'm starting to think you started this thread just to see what you could stir up stir

Maybe you should reread the first post. It says to be ABLE to take a deer at distance. I'm starting to think you're one of those "If it's not done the way I do it, it's wrong," types.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #5867894 08/07/15 04:25 PM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #5868093 08/07/15 06:22 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Maybe you should reread the first post. It says to be ABLE to take a deer at distance. I'm starting to think you're one of those "If it's not done the way I do it, it's wrong," types.
If you are confident, then fling away. It's all an individual thing.
And no, I'm not "one of those". But I am one for a good clean kill. I have also hunted public land and killed deer with my bow. But I take more gratification in studying the area, reading the signs, making my set, and having a kill shot at a very close range. All the deer I've shot on public land has been 15 yds or less. But that's just me. I like'em short and sweet. When I can get that close, whether I take a shot or not, is a successful hunt for me.
So if you are confident at that range to make a clean kill, then by all means. All I am saying, a lot can happen between 0 to 50. I've seen it personally at a whole lot shorter distance. Biggest buck I ever killed (in Kansas) dropped a foot and a half. Luckily I was aiming at the bottom of his heart. Ended up hitting right below the back bone and got one lung.
And that was at a mere 13 yards!!!
Shoot straight and good luck this season!! up

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: sqiggy] #5868107 08/07/15 06:30 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Cool video. You didn't mention you were going after mule deer. All I and I believe others were trying to point out is that whitetail are about 100 times more wary than other animals. I've seen deer jump 4 foot from just my tree stand squeking before. Good luck with your hunt . Surely doesn't hurt to extend your practice range as far as possible. Makes those short shot just a chip shot.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: ChrisB] #5868177 08/07/15 07:24 PM
W
Wes70 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted By: ChrisB
Texas whitetail are just too fast to be taking that long of a shot. Not saying it won't work occasionally but more times than not you won't hit where you were aiming. My two longest whitetail kills were at about 32 and 35 yards and both ducked and got spined. I feel like much farther and there is no telling where I would have hit.

You were aiming to high if they ducked and you spined them.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: sqiggy] #5868187 08/07/15 07:29 PM
W
Wes70 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I'm not sayin at all you can't do it. I know people who can 12 ring a target all day long at 60, 70 yds.
BUT, they won't take a shot on a deer at that distance and most of them won't pass 30 because they know, at a live target, anything can happen, causing a shot that far to go south pretty quick.
What I am saying, you cannot predict what that deer at 50 yds is going to do. Lets say you are at full draw. Deer is 50 yards out. He's relaxed and feeding. You release your arrow and at the very same time, the deer takes a step. Where do you think the arrow is going to hit?

Deer takes a step forward unexpectedly at 20 yards where do you think that arrow is going to hit? Can't use that in trying to prove your point.

It is Bowhunting guys, anything can happen at any time. That is the nature of the beast. If you practice at further distances and you are confident you can make a good ethical kill, that it is up to you. If you don't practice and can't hit the broadside of a barn out past 30, then don't shoot that far.

Archery is a personal sport. Do what you are comfortable with. Everyone's opinions are just that their own opinions.

Re: Long Range Deer Hunting [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #5868222 08/07/15 07:51 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Well I agree with the up close approach. You want to stretch the distance then gun hunt. But then again, the long range guys only tell you about the one they find, not the several they don't.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide