Picked up a trade on a 1911 with some Grim Reaper grips. Don't really like that sort of style so made a pair of replacements I'm happy with.
Had a little too much time sitting around for a weekend in the garage after cleaning it out so decided to make a new mess. There was some scrap wood laying around and made some selections.
First Attempt - Trial - Little embarrassed but what the hell. Was still fun and got to learn.
Used some wood off of an older beater of an 1871/81 where the wood was just falling off. No tears here.
1888 seemed right for the year. Old wood jokes?
Hacked it all up. This was all that was left for what had not rotted away....
Got them into 4 sided flat-ish shapes.
Stacked and glued them together.
Shaped them after glue dried out. They were a bit thin though. Left is the rough. One on the right are factory grips for comparing to.
This is where I started to mess up. Sunken part of the top screw head hole was a bit oblong, but screw hole was in the right location! I'll fill those oblong areas in later.
This side turned out a bit better.
I was happy with the first set so I did a second attempt with the goal of doing better and using some scrap wood that is slightly fancier than 100+ year old walnut.
Attempt two results -
Forgot about the bit that hangs over the plunger. Oh well.
I'll probably spruce up the first pair a bit, but I am definitely liking the results of the second attempt.
If anybody has any pointers or recommendations on tools, please let me know. I used a drill press, some files, and lots of sand paper. I'm sure there's probably an easier way to do this and get better results.