Forum Stats
60397 Members
45 Forums
475405 Topics
6236741 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5864612 - 08/05/15 01:53 PM Austin gun store recommendation?
Dien Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Grand Prairie
Any good gun stores in Austin to check out? Driving down there tomorrow.

Looking at bolt actions with chassis systems, 1911/2011s?

#5864629 - 08/05/15 02:06 PM Re: Austin gun store recommendation? [Re: Dien]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
McBride's. Parking is a pain and some of the old farts behind the gun counter are your typical grumpy PITA gun clerks, but it's a fairly decent store. 'Been around a long time.

#5864659 - 08/05/15 02:23 PM Re: Austin gun store recommendation? [Re: Dien]
Obrien Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Austin
Just to McBride's - from my personal opinion (your experience may vary). It is the most expensive and least welcoming store in the town. I always feel bad when I visit them because how they treat me plus it is so apparent that the only goal is to make me spend more money.

Example: I wanted to buy ammo for AR-15 - not mine and I got note from the owner to get .223R. I explain the situation to the seller and he realized that I'm newbie in AR so he started to push me to buy 5.56 NATO, explaining how this AR-15 is for sure chambered for this caliber and how I should not get the .223. When I kept insisting on .223 he almost made fun of me but on the end he get me some pack. When I looked on the price I realized that they have promo on .223 and it was significantly cheaper. So he just tried to f*ck me over and make me spend more money. (yes I know and did know even then that most AR-15 are ok with both calibers and that 5.56 would have better ballistic but for what I wanted to do 223 would do just fine).

Very similar experience when I was looking for my first shot gun. Just trying to sold me the most ridiculous [censored] when they realized I'm new into it...

#5865417 - 08/05/15 09:51 PM Re: Austin gun store recommendation? [Re: Dien]
TexasVine Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Lakeway/Fredericksburg
I am very familiar with McBrides and stop in while I'm in the area. There is a sense of "grumpy and elite" behind the counter. With that being said they have a large selection of firearms. I prefer not to deal with this shop.

My favorite gun store is Sportsman's Finest in Bee Caves just east of Austin. Great customer service and a wide range of firearms in the better to best category.

#5865560 - 08/05/15 11:45 PM Re: Austin gun store recommendation? [Re: Dien]
deewayne2003 Online   content

I live in Austin and McBride's is well know and rightly so for EXTREMELY high prices and poor customer service.

In one case as a friend of mine took a brand new S&W pistol back to them after firing 50rnds and contacting S&W because of the endless malfunctions.

S&W said "take it back to the store and they will send it to us no charge under warranty".....McBride's tried to charge him for returning it and S&W told him to NOT PAY THEM.

#5865579 - 08/06/15 12:37 AM Re: Austin gun store recommendation? [Re: Dien]
Just Nate Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Austin, TX
I like Jeff at McBride's he is a good dude and very helpful.

The other sales guys are kind of old and grumpy. They do generally carry a good selection of high quality guns. I have never experienced the high pressure sales job. It is a little stiff in the store...

#5865848 - 08/06/15 09:12 AM Re: Austin gun store recommendation? [Re: Dien]
Chunky Dunk Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Rockport
Sportsmans in Beecave, its west of Austin off 71

www.odftexas.com

#5865909 - 08/06/15 09:44 AM Re: Austin gun store recommendation? [Re: Dien]
ETexas Hunter Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Austin
The guys at McBride's are arrogant and mostly rude (I would use other words if not on the forum). They act like its a pain to show guns or answer questions, if you aren't one of their regulars you will not be treated as you should. As stated above they are also expensive.

Go to sportsman's or try Academy off William Cannon, its one of the larger stores with a large selection. Even cabela's in Buda is cheaper and friendlier

#5865929 - 08/06/15 09:53 AM Re: Austin gun store recommendation? [Re: Dien]
Creekrunner Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
From what the more frequent visitors to McBride's have said, it sounds like Nagel's down here (San Antonio). However, it is darn few gun stores I've been in that don't have the "we don't have to be courteous 'cause we're in the most macho business there is" attitude. Guys that have any customer skills whatsoever usually move on to something they can make a lot more money at.

#5866003 - 08/06/15 10:34 AM Re: Austin gun store recommendation? [Re: Dien]
Triplesnake Online   content
Tracker

Funny, I've been shopping at McBrides for a long time, like close to 20 years, and I've never experienced what others are spouting off here. They can be very busy at times and might not always have the time to chew the fat with tire kickers, but I've never found them to be discourteous or rude. More often I've been in there and the guys were more then happy to show me guns I was interested in and them make good suggestions based on what I asked for. For example, I was in there one time and looked at a Winchester M70 they had on the used rack. I put it back and went on browsing for a few minutes and the guy came back and got me to show me a nice Pre-64 they had just taken on trade. Not a high pressure sales ploy, he thought I might be interested in it. I don't find them to be overly expensive either. I've been shopping for a Winchester Extreme Weather in 300 WSM for a while. They haven't been easy to find lately in that caliber. McBride's had on on the rack for a price that was competitive with what I'd have paid if I ordered it online (if I could find one) and paid shipping and FFL transfer, etc, still well below MSRP.

#5866339 - 08/06/15 01:54 PM Re: Austin gun store recommendation? [Re: Dien]
Brother in-law Online   content
THF Celebrity

Sounds like the mcbride dudes need to hang out with the gunmaster dudes in Plano. Good stores with old crotchety people behind the counter

#5867017 - 08/06/15 07:46 PM Re: Austin gun store recommendation? [Re: Triplesnake]
rexmitchell Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Triplesnake
Funny, I've been shopping at McBrides for a long time, like close to 20 years, and I've never experienced what others are spouting off here. They can be very busy at times and might not always have the time to chew the fat with tire kickers, but I've never found them to be discourteous or rude. More often I've been in there and the guys were more then happy to show me guns I was interested in and them make good suggestions based on what I asked for. For example, I was in there one time and looked at a Winchester M70 they had on the used rack. I put it back and went on browsing for a few minutes and the guy came back and got me to show me a nice Pre-64 they had just taken on trade. Not a high pressure sales ploy, he thought I might be interested in it. I don't find them to be overly expensive either. I've been shopping for a Winchester Extreme Weather in 300 WSM for a while. They haven't been easy to find lately in that caliber. McBride's had on on the rack for a price that was competitive with what I'd have paid if I ordered it online (if I could find one) and paid shipping and FFL transfer, etc, still well below MSRP.

This has been my experience as well, been shopping there since I was a kid and have nothing but positive things to say. I've never once felt or seen what others are saying but I'm not calling them liars either. I've also heard every single complaint listed above about cabelas, academy, and every other gun store at one time or another as well. I will say this, they have been in business a long time and usually have a ton of people in the store so they can't be that big of turds to every customer or that place wouldn't be packed as soon as they open.

#5867268 - 08/06/15 10:23 PM Re: Austin gun store recommendation? [Re: Dien]
Stratgolfer Online   content
Bird Dog

McBrides is always busy. I bought a handgun there a few years ago, people were helpful but not chatty. I've heard good and bad about them. I live close enough to Cabelas to go there.

#5867368 - 08/06/15 11:44 PM Re: Austin gun store recommendation? [Re: Dien]
bigbroke12 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Austin/ Mills
Mcbrides is good for lots of reasons.... Guns on one side silver and gold on the other side, and pretty much everything else in the middle!
Have bought there at great prices and maybe not at great prices, but have never encountered poor service....somewhat of a pain to get to and park but worth it in my not so humble opinion!

Live close enough to reds in oak hill and like it as well....can't beat the indoor range....have encountered some cranky service there but nothing that's deterred me form going back.....both places above have always beat cabelas prices at least for what I was looking for at the time, for what it's worth

Edited by bigbroke12 (08/06/15 11:49 PM)

#5867391 - 08/07/15 12:53 AM Re: Austin gun store recommendation? [Re: Dien]
HuntFish512 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Taylor,Tx
Gt distributors just be sure your ready to buy the used gun counter prices will open any wallet. I mean than in a good way they are so cheap on used guns it isn't funny.

Edited by HuntFish512 (08/07/15 12:54 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide