Forums46
Topics538,046
Posts9,732,319
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Remington 700 upgrade suggestions? [Re: Big Fitz] #5865585 08/06/15 05:59 AM
B
BoltVanderhuge Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
Bolt, where are you located? Might be good to have an experienced guy look at it. A few other questions:

What brand and model of scope?

What brand and model of mounts and rings?

Can you post pics of groups? Vertical or horizontal strings?

Stock screws torqued properly?

Shooting from a solid bench with bags or other?

I'm no expert but a Remmy 700 should shoot much better than that.

I live in Ft Worth. I have a Redfield revolution 4-12 x 40 mounted with Leupold std mounts/rings. I went and checked the stock screws, and torqued them down to 45 in/lbs. I've been shooting off a solid bench with sand bags.

Re: Remington 700 upgrade suggestions? [Re: BoltVanderhuge] #5865586 08/06/15 06:01 AM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
good for you for not having too much pride to admit that. Maybe just adding weight to the butt of your existing stock would help. I've never done that but I've seen others do it with good results. Have someone who knows a thing or two watch you shoot. They'll let you know real quick if that's a problem of you flinching. If it's not, good. Look elsewhere. I say this because I was flinching when I first got into shooting and I had my light ADL in 270. I was anticipating my shots and screwing everything up.

Now if I calm down and shoot really slow, I can shoot hole in a hole. IF I calm down and try it

Last edited by Bullfrog; 08/06/15 06:04 AM.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Remington 700 upgrade suggestions? [Re: BoltVanderhuge] #5865877 08/06/15 02:29 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Practice with a scoped 22 or .223 a lot and then pick up the 06 maybe it will train you not to jerk, flinch, whatever. I have a friend that has a 300 ultra and every time he shoots it he is practically looking over the scope while the gun is still in recoil motion and not to mention he jerks the hell out of the trigger. You have got to watch the bullet hit the desired target through the scope with your eye open. This sounds weird I know, but it will keep you pulled down on your gun and help you hold firm throughout the shot. With the recoil of the 06 you will temporarily loose sight of your target, but you have to practice this anyways to quickly see your hit. Of course you have got to ease into the trigger. I know this sounds like shooting 101, but I shoot often just so that I don't loose my shooting skills. Hey its like riding a bike, but practice makes you better. I walked outside earlier with a iron sighted mark 11 22 and put the smack down on some 50 yard tiny targets. I think Im a better ,faster shot with iron sights at 50 yards versus the same gun with a scope and I hardly ever shoot a iron sighted rifle, but guess what I grew up on iron sights. So all those years of practice worked. I shoot iron sights better with both eyes open and same with a bow with pins. All this being said I think your main issue is the trigger and for end stock tip pressure, probably hurting your accuracy the most.

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Re: Remington 700 upgrade suggestions? [Re: BoltVanderhuge] #5866159 08/06/15 05:15 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: BoltVanderhuge

It's a possibility that I'm flinching still, but I think I've gotten better about it.

One exercise to break that is to stand up and turn away from the rifle.

Have a friend load it, or not load it, and close the bolt.

Then you turn around without knowing whether it is loaded or not as the bolt is already closed.

If flinching is occurring, when you pull the trigger, flinching will be very apparent when there is no round in the chamber.

The not knowing will really focus the mind and help improve form.

Re: Remington 700 upgrade suggestions? [Re: jeffbird] #5866181 08/06/15 05:23 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^That is step #1^^

Once you are aware of it, and can make a conscious effort to stop flinching, then step two is to always dry fire the rifle a few times before actually shooting a live round. I do this every time I shoot on my range (which is several days a week). Plus if I am shooting someone elses rifle I will dry fire theirs to learn their trigger. With enough practice you will learn that each trigger is slightly different from another and you can extract the most consistency from each one by dry firing them first.

Sometimes I help rifles with people problems. wink

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Remington 700 upgrade suggestions? [Re: J.G.] #5867405 08/07/15 08:01 AM
B
BoltVanderhuge Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
I appreciate all the reply's. A lot of good info and methods to try. I went ahead ordered a Timney to put in since that was repeatedly suggested.

Re: Remington 700 upgrade suggestions? [Re: BoltVanderhuge] #5867949 08/07/15 04:54 PM
R
REALKILLER Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Hey when my friend shoots his 300 ultra mag it reminds me of a pirate pulling the cord on a pirate ship cannon. He snatches on the trigger and kinda looks away. Its hilarious and trust me Im only laughing at him because he is a long time friend. smile

Recently got a gym membership, strange folks! I like to show up the roid zombies with my full motion curls with the 55lb. bells. Not their cheater short stroked light weights. It's holarious.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide