Print Thread
Pup REALLY dislikes water. Solutions? #5861555 08/03/15 09:08 PM
B
Baylor_Bears Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
My 8 month old GSP just hates water, I mean hates it. I have tried it all, wade in with him, fun bumper attempts, get him hot and take him to waters edge. Nothing really seems to work. Any other ways yall can think of to introduce him in a pleasant way? Obviously we are still a pup but I am thinking he is getting old enough to get introduced while it is warm.

Re: Pup REALLY dislikes water. Solutions? [Re: Baylor_Bears] #5861600 08/03/15 09:35 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
He'll learn to enjoy it when he's hunting in hot weather. Take your time.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Pup REALLY dislikes water. Solutions? [Re: Baylor_Bears] #5861704 08/03/15 10:37 PM
P
Pointer Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Had a lab pup that wouldn't have anything to do with going into water. She had a little troll doll (see, this was a long time ago)that she carried by the hair incessantly. She never marked it or chewed on it.

I took her down to a pond which had a really gentle slope to it, and pitched her "baby" into the pond just out of her reach. She paced up and down the sand barking and whining, looking for all the world like a distraught Mama. All the while, I was telling her, "C'mon, lets go get it!" Finally, I stepped into the water, and she put her forelegs in, just enough to save the baby. I praised her and petted her while she held the baby for a while, then I tossed it a little farther. We probably did only about three times or so that first day, but each toss, she went in just a little farther. It worked for us.

This was a really timid dog. She did not like gunfire either, but I worked her thru that as well. However, I was never able to get her to trust people. When we would be hunting dove, and someone would stop to visit, she would invariable sneak off and hide in the brush until they left. Exasperating! Bird hunting, in my book, anyway, is a social event.

Last edited by Pointer; 08/03/15 10:46 PM.
Re: Pup REALLY dislikes water. Solutions? [Re: Baylor_Bears] #5861714 08/03/15 10:43 PM
A
Angie B Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
Take her out to a shallow pond. Carry her out, gently lower her into the water and have someone call her to shore. Gush all over her when she reaches shore.

Angie

"Developing the Potential"
www.tiogaretrievers.com
Re: Pup REALLY dislikes water. Solutions? [Re: Pointer] #5861771 08/03/15 11:20 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Pointer
Had a lab pup that wouldn't have anything to do with going into water. She had a little troll doll (see, this was a long time ago)that she carried by the hair incessantly. She never marked it or chewed on it.

I took her down to a pond which had a really gentle slope to it, and pitched her "baby" into the pond just out of her reach. She paced up and down the sand barking and whining, looking for all the world like a distraught Mama. All the while, I was telling her, "C'mon, lets go get it!" Finally, I stepped into the water, and she put her forelegs in, just enough to save the baby. I praised her and petted her while she held the baby for a while, then I tossed it a little farther. We probably did only about three times or so that first day, but each toss, she went in just a little farther. It worked for us.

This was a really timid dog. She did not like gunfire either, but I worked her thru that as well. However, I was never able to get her to trust people. When we would be hunting dove, and someone would stop to visit, she would invariable sneak off and hide in the brush until they left. Exasperating! Bird hunting, in my book, anyway, is a social event.

Great story.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Pup REALLY dislikes water. Solutions? [Re: Baylor_Bears] #5861942 08/04/15 01:07 AM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
How long have you had the pup? When did you first try to introduce it to water? Has the dog had any prior bad experiences with water?

You could try bringing another dog that likes water to see if your will join in on the fun.

Also you could try getting a wing clipped duck and have them chase it.

Is this pup from hunting lines or just a pet? The pup is more than old enough to be introduced to water.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Re: Pup REALLY dislikes water. Solutions? [Re: MS1454] #5862011 08/04/15 01:42 AM
B
Baylor_Bears Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: MS1454
How long have you had the pup? When did you first try to introduce it to water? Has the dog had any prior bad experiences with water?

You could try bringing another dog that likes water to see if your will join in on the fun.

Also you could try getting a wing clipped duck and have them chase it.

Is this pup from hunting lines or just a pet? The pup is more than old enough to be introduced to water.

I have had him since 3 months, and this has been his first introduction to water so no bad experiences. He does come from hunting lines, and the breeder claims both parents have no fear of the water. Thanks for the advice, never thought about the bird ide MS

Re: Pup REALLY dislikes water. Solutions? [Re: Baylor_Bears] #5862435 08/04/15 12:54 PM
K
kindall Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
If you have any low creeks near by, just take him for a walk. Cross the creek multiple times during your walk, where its only a foot or two deep. Most pups will follow you, even if they are hesitate at first.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Pup REALLY dislikes water. Solutions? [Re: Baylor_Bears] #5862478 08/04/15 01:24 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Have you tried going somewhere and actually get in the lake and play with kids / family / friends and see if it gets him excited? Not just wade out, I'm talking like a play day at the lake where everyone is splashing around and playing about 20 - 30 feet out from the bank.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Pup REALLY dislikes water. Solutions? [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #5862727 08/04/15 03:59 PM
B
Baylor_Bears Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Have you tried going somewhere and actually get in the lake and play with kids / family / friends and see if it gets him excited? Not just wade out, I'm talking like a play day at the lake where everyone is splashing around and playing about 20 - 30 feet out from the bank.

Another good thought, appreciate all the ideas. Will start trying some of these out after work during our runs

Re: Pup REALLY dislikes water. Solutions? [Re: Baylor_Bears] #5864502 08/05/15 05:38 PM
G
Gdogg Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Have your dog watch and follow other dogs into the water. Once he see's all the fun they are having he will in in no time.

Re: Pup REALLY dislikes water. Solutions? [Re: Baylor_Bears] #5864507 08/05/15 05:41 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I had a lab that didn't like it when he was a pup... even with other dogs playing in it he wouldn't go... finally I got fed up with it and jumped into the lake myself... he usually wouldn't be a few steps away from me so after I got about 20yrds form the bank he couldn't stand it anymore.. after that you couldn't get him out the water

Re: Pup REALLY dislikes water. Solutions? [Re: Baylor_Bears] #5864554 08/05/15 06:10 PM
P
pervis Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Keep working at it just go easy. My pointer is about the same age as yours, she was real timid at first, I work w her about 4 times a week though, yeah throw a toy close then 5 ft further etc each time. I can't keep mine outa the water now, dogs a fiah. At first they ll pound water swimming but keep practicing swimming, the puppy swim will go away and soon enough your dog will be cutting the water with ease.

Re: Pup REALLY dislikes water. Solutions? [Re: Baylor_Bears] #5864561 08/05/15 06:13 PM
P
pervis Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Try it all, get in the water w the dog, don't go deep maybe take him on a leash and walk the bank in the water, try to throw a dog treat like jersey or something each time see if he goes out to eat it. Baby steps.

Re: Pup REALLY dislikes water. Solutions? [Re: Baylor_Bears] #5865529 08/06/15 03:59 AM
S
super Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Might be a little bit of a drive but north Texas navhda has a training day coming up in a few weeks in Decatur. We'll be working on lots of water work if interested. Check us out at www.texasnavhda.org for training updates and information.

Jason
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide